It's difficult to watch A Man Among Wolves, the story of Shaun Ellis, a man who chooses to live among wolves in captivity to better understand them, and not draw comparisons to Grizzly Man, Werner Herzog's documentary about Timothy Treadwell, a man who lived in the wild with bears and ultimately was killed by one.
Ice Cube is producing a new reality series pilot for A&E called Good in the Hood. The plan is for each episode to be introduced by Ice Cube and then focus on a former gang member, drug dealer or robber as they try to help somebody in a similar situation turn their life around.
I've expressed my distaste for reality programming in the past, but this is a good example of how many sub-genres existed within the reality show genre, and not all of them are that bad. I really like the idea of people who once took from society do what they can to give something back, and to understand that it is possible to change. It's a great idea, and if done well, I think A&E may have another hit on its hands.
Independent Lens doesn't shy away from featuring documentaries on difficult subjects, but out of all the ones I've seen so far, this one was the most heart-wrenching. Motherland Afghanistan follows an Afghan American doctor who returns to Afghanistan to work in a hospital to provide medical care and expertise for pregnant women who live in a land where infant mortality rates are high and medical supplies are always in short supply. Dr. Qudrat Mojadidi role at Afghanistan's largest hospital is not only to help patients, but to train the doctors and staff with the help of funding from the U.S. government.
Motherland Afghanistan focuses on a crisis in Afghanistan largely ignored here in the states, but it's worth seeing not only because it's educational, but because it shows there are still people willing to try and make things better despite the odds, and to help those in need not only through medical treatment, but through education as well.
Motherland Afghanistan, filmed and directed by Dr. Mojadidi's daughter Sedika, will air on select PBS stations tonight at 10 p.m.
We all know that war and famine still plagues a large portion of the globe, but most people feel there's not much they can do about it, short of throwing money at the problem. In the case of Ed Artis, Jim Laws and Walt Ratterman, however, they actually travel into some of the most dangerous parts of the world to help people directly. Artis, Laws and Ratterman --a retired army medic, a doctor, and a renewable energy expert, respectively-- risk their own lives to make sure people get the help they need.
So, last month I mentioned that Shannen Doherty would be returning to television with a new reality show in which she would help people put the kibosh on bad relationships, romantic and otherwise. Well, if you live in Los Angeles, are in a crappy relationship, and feel that Ms. Doherty is the only one who can set things straight, well, then you're insane. But you're also just the right person to answer this ad, which was placed on Craigslist to lure people to take part in the new series. And heck, both parties are compensated, so whether you're the "dumper" or the "dumpee" it all works out in the end.
The new series, Breaking Up with Shannen Doherty, will air on Oxygen.
[via Perez Hilton]
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- Best 'Flash' Quotes from 'Grodd Lives'
- [Video] 'Bones' Sneak Peek: Is Daisy Ready to Move On?
- 2015 Critics' Choice TV Awards: 'Silicon Valley,' 'Veep,' 'Mom' and 4 More Lead Nominations
- Why 'Avengers: Age of Ultron' is Hurting ABC's 'Agents of SHIELD'
- 'Survivor: Worlds Apart' Prediction: Who Will Go Home in Week 11?
- More From BuddyTV
- Supergirl Lands Series Order at CBS
- Shadowhunters: Katherine McNamara Tapped to Star as Clary Fray
- Once Upon a Time Bosses Tease Secret Finale Scene, Tackle 'End Date' Topic
- TVLine Items: Tim McGraw's TV Debut, TNT Delays Legends and More
- Pretty Little Liars Premiere Photos: Can Alison Help Her Friends EscApe?
- More From TVLine
- This Teenager's Amazingly Blunt Sex Ed Answers Got Her Suspended
- New 'Magic Mike XXL' Teaser Trailer: 'It's Not Bro Time, It's Show Time'
- Cindy Crawford Looks Even More Fabulous Makeup-Free
- Kylie Jenner Finally Reveals the Truth About Her Lips: 'I Have Temporary Lip Fillers'
- Oscar Isaac Talks ‘Moving' Moment at ‘Star Wars Celebration': ‘I Definitely Got Emotional'
- More From ET