As unveiled to a full, if partially groggy Comic-Con crowd during one of the day's first events, the DVD collection will include every episode of the show, more than 90 minutes of extra footage and 29 episode commentaries.
Henson joined series creator Rockne O'Bannon with stars Ben Browder and Claudia Black to unveil the comprehensive set of the show Henson repeatedly referred to during the panel as "psychotically ambitious" because of its mix of live-action, muppet technology, and then-state-of-the-art visual effects.
The Muppet News Flash, always a great place for Muppet scuttlebutt, has written that The Disney Channel will be introducing a series of interstitials featuring the Muppets as well as characters from various Disney Channel programs. The goal, apparently, is to introduce the Muppets to the next generation.
Muppet News Flash also mentions a possible new Muppet movie and Muppet Web series, but nothing has been announced to the public yet. I'm just happy to see more Muppet stuff being developed, no matter what the medium.
Speaking of Muppet projects, I haven't heard much about Tinseltown since Jim Henson began shopping the series around back in November. The series centered on two gay puppets (a bull and a pig) who adopt a human child. I loved the concept, but I fear it may have disappeared into the ether. Bummer.
Like many of you, I've been waiting since the 1999 film The Adventures of Elmo in Grouchland for the little red Muppet to return to the big screen. Every morning I would wake up and check all the trade papers to see if li'l Elmo was ready to make his big screen comeback, and every day I was disappointed.
Actually, everything in that paragraph is a lie, though I did see The Adventures of Elmo in Grouchland in the theater, along with my then three-year-old nephew and a theater full of little kids (they loved it). Muppet News Flash is reporting that a possible movie version of the "Elmo's World" segment on Sesame Street is in the very early stages of development. So early, in fact, that there's no guarantee the movie will be made at all. If it does get made, word is that it will put Elmo in a CG crayon-drawn world in the vein of Harold and the Purple Crayon or Chalk Zone.
I know parents and those of us who grew up with "classic" Sesame Street aren't especially fond of Elmo, but you can't deny the little guy has his fans. Also, it helps to keep in mind that Elmo is specifically designed to appeal to smaller children, not their older siblings.
I added "probably" to the heading because there hasn't been an official announcement just yet, but Muppet News Flash, my preferred source for Muppet news, cites "several key sources" who claim that the second season of The Muppet Show will indeed be released sometime this summer.
It's been over a year since the first season was released on DVD, and fans have been waiting patiently for the next set. Season two contains some of the best special guest performances from the show: Bob Hope, George Burns, Dom DeLuise, Peter Sellers, John Cleese, Don Knotts, Milton Berle, and several others.
I've said before that while I still love The Muppets, something important but intangible was lost after Jim Henson's death. These DVDs are more than just hours of fun and entertainment, they're a record of a great imagination at work.
While the Jim Henson Company works away on film and TV projects, we've been constantly teased with the promise of a new Muppet series. The last time this happened was with the short-lived Muppets Tonight in the '90s. Attempts to bring the gang back to television haven't come to fruition, including a pilot in 2004 for America's Next Muppet that was never picked up as a series.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'Once Upon a Time' Season 4: First Look at 'Frozen's' Elsa and Kristoff
- 'Project Runway' Season 13: Ranking the Looks of 'Unconventional Movie Nite'
- 'Manhattan' Set Photos: Take a Tour of the Past
- 'Under the Dome' Interviews: Cast Teases Possible Escape from the Dome and More!
- 'Agents of SHIELD' and 'Agent Carter' Photos: The Cast Cuts Loose at San Diego Comic Con 2014
- More From BuddyTV
- Scoop: CSI: Cyber Adds Peter MacNicol as a Series Regular
- Grimm Cast Names Nick and Juliette's Baby, Teases [Spoiler]'s Fate and More
- Parenthood Scoop: Breaking Bad's Betsy Brandt Returning as Hank's Ex
- TVLine Items: Gotham Casts Mobster Maroni, Mindy Taps Sunny Star & More
- More From TVLine
- Orlando Bloom Ecstatically Dances to Pharrell's 'Happy' Post-Justin Bieber Fight
- Justin Bieber Looks So Unbearably Sad on a Yacht in Ibiza
- ‘Bachelor in Paradise' Is As Full of Twists, Drama, & Hook Ups As We Thought!
- 10 Celebs Who Were Too Old to Play High School Students
- EXCLUSIVE: 'Pretty Little Liars': Watch the First Scene of Next Week's 'Crazy' Episode!
- More From ET