hope and faith
But what we remember most from those Friday nights in front of the tube? The younger cast members -- Urkel, the Tanner kiddies, the Mowry twins. They kept us tuning in season after season (the block ran on ABC from 1988-2000 and 2003-2005), and what has inspired this look at where the real stars, the TGIF kids, are now ...
I always find it amusing that a lot of standup specials and documentaries are released on DVD just a day or two after they're shown on television. Jim Gaffigan: King Baby premiered this past Sunday, and here it is for sale on DVD. I guess you could have just taped it (sorry, "recorded it"), though I'm sure there are extras on the DVDs you don't get on the TV special.
I'm just happy Volume 5 of Hannah Montana is out!
- California Dreams - Seasons 1 and 2
- The Fugitive - Season 2, Vol. 2
- Goosebumps - Return of the Mummy and The Scarecrow Walks At Midnight
- Hannah Montana - Vol. 5
With that said, I know that the announcement of each season's DWTS cast is heavily anticipated and rumored for months before the actual announcement. We heard that Dan Marino may be a contestant; a claim that was soon denied. 82-year-old Cloris Leachman was another name floated, as was Magnum, P.I. himself, Tom Selleck. Kim Kardashian and Kathy Griffin were also said to have been approached.
As with most rumors, some of these turned out to be false, but others had some truth to them. Follow me after the jump for the official (and completely insane) cast of Dancing With the Stars' seventh season, along with some twists the producers have cooked up for this go-around.
Season one of the ABC comedy (it's a comedy, right?) will be released on Oct. 21, 2008. It's part of a deal ABC Studios inked with Lionsgate Home Entertainment to distribute select titles on DVD. Season one of Reaper is next on Nov. 4, followed by Boy Meets World (which was discontinued in 2006), Hope and Faith, and 8 Simple Rules.
That's interesting, because I've got Season one of 8 Simple Rules here (no, I didn't buy it, a publicist sent it to me), and it's from Buena Vista Home Entertainment. So Lionsgate must be taking over distribution.
Also, ABC had reportedly decided not to renew Invasion, Freddie and Hope & Faith. Also not major surprises-- and Invasion might end up on The CW. What will Kelly Ripa do with all her extra time?
Stick around... Bob will be covering NBC's Upfronts later today.
AOL Television news has an interesting story by USA Today reporter Gary Levin on the impact American Idol has on other shows that share its time slot. The summary: Idol grabs huge numbers (nearly 30 million viewers) while the other shows struggle.
Case in point, The ABC sitcoms According to Jim and Hope & Faith (which I didn't realize was still on the schedule) are earning their lowest numbers ever. NBC's Joey lasted all of one week on the Tuesday night schedule before being removed. The Idol effect is also hurting Wednesday night show's as well, especially the juggernaut known as Lost. Since the Idol result show began in late February the ABC show has lost almost 20% of its audience.
But the news is not all bad. The CBS shows NCIS and Criminal Minds are faring better against Idol, mostly due to their base of older viewers and young men. Whether they can hold on to that audience as the competition nears its end is another matter entirely.
Here are the shows (on all networks) that media buyers think are in danger of cancellation:
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'Dancing with the Stars' Rehearsal Photos: Bindi Irwin and the PenaVegas
- Meet the Teams of 'The Amazing Race' Season 27
- 'America's Got Talent' Live Results Recap: The 1st 5 Acts Advance to the Finals
- 'MasterChef' Interview: For Charlie and Ailsa, No Trophy but No Regrets
- [Videos] 'Castle' Season 8 Spoilers: Ryan's Paranoid, Kate and Castle's New Family Dynamic and More
- More From BuddyTV
- Vampire Diaries' Candice King Teases 'Badass' Caroline in Season 7, Talks 'Funny' Steroline Baby Theories
- Ron Perlman Talks Hand of God's Take on Faith, Sons of Anarchy Series Finale: 'When I Was Done, I Was Done'
- Grey's Anatomy Boss Shonda Rhimes Reveals Reason for That McDreamy-Fueled One-Year Time Jump
- Dean Jones of Herbie, the Love Bug and Ensign O'Toole Fame, Dies at 84
- The 100 Season 3: Clarke Gets a (Grounder?!) Makeover
- More From TVLine
- Demi Lovato Pumps Herself Up Before a Show in the Most Inspiring Way
- Q&A: Maddie & Tae Are Headed on 'An Incredible Journey' With 'Start Here' Debut
- EXCLUSIVE: Joy Behar Jokes That 'A Lot of Therapy' Prepared Her for Return to 'The View'
- Janice Dickinson Collapses on Live TV After Reported Bee Sting
- EXCLUSIVE! 'You're the Worst' Sneak Peek: Jimmy and Gretchen Are Awful Roommates (& That's Why We Love Them)
- More From ET