Fans of Standoff, the FOX hostage negotiator drama starring Ron Livingston and Rosemarie DeWitt, were worried when it was announced that the show was moving to Fridays. Now here's more to be concerned about: the show isn't returning at all until the summer.
It was supposed to return in April, but FOX has decided the show won't be back until after the network announces its fall schedule in May. I wonder how this will affect their decision, since the show has been on hiatus for a while and they're not going to know what the summer numbers are until, well, the show airs in the summer. They insist the show isn't canceled, but this can't be seen as a "good" sign, that's for sure. It got pretty good numbers when it was on.
For the record, I thought the show was so-so.
(S01E01) I'm one of those people that truly believes that any TV show or movie premise could be great. Because it's not the premise of a show that's most important. Really, what does the premise of a show have to do with anything? A "great" premise could have horrible writing, acting, direction, while a show that seems to have a "typical" or "boring" premise can be great if it has good writing, acting, and direction. Seinfeld was a show about "nothing" but it was the writing and the cast that made that show great. Heck, what was the movie My Dinner With Andre but two guys eating dinner and talking for two hours?
So it's not the premise of Standoff (hostage negotiators are also lovers!) that is disappointing, it's that there's nothing really special about it. Not yet anyway. But it's a show that has promise, and here's why.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- Best 'Supernatural' Quotes from 'Holy Terror'
- 'Survivor': How to Get Along with Others in 10 Easy Steps
- 'Sons of Anarchy' Recap: Getting Out of Guns, For Good?
- 'Once Upon a Time' Season 3 Episode Photos
- 'Bones' Episode 9.11 Photos: Richard Schiff Guest Stars as a Murdered Gymnast's Father
- More From BuddyTV
- 'House of Cards' Season 2 premiere date set for Feb. 14, 2014
- 'The Voice': CeeLo Green talks Adam Levine's drive to win, his off-season plans
- 'The Voice': Adam Levine talks heading into Season 5 Semi-Finals with his team intact
- 'SNL': Paul Rudd freaks out about One Direction in promos
- 'Doctor Who': BBC executive talks Peter Capaldi's first Doctor scenes
- More From Zap2it
- Netflix Sets House of Cards Season 2 Premiere
- Mentalist Exclusive: Jane Scores a Date With….
- Exclusive White Collar Video: Peter Questions Neal's Whereabouts — Plus: Who Has Ex Issues?
- Sleepy Hollow's Nicole Beharie and Tom Mison Toy With 'Ichabbie,' Hint at Huge Season Finale
- What to Watch Wednesday: Welcome to Mob City, Seasonal SNL, Say Cheers to Kirstie and More
- More From TVLine