house of cards
According to Deadline, the critics behind the Critics' Choice Awards have nominated eight new fall shows for the Most Exciting New Series:
• 'Terra Nova'
• 'Apartment 23'
• 'Falling Skies'
• 'New Girl'
Cat Deeley will host the awards ceremony on June 20, VH1.com will live stream the show. ReelzChannel will air the ceremony at 8PM on June 22.
In other TV news ...
There are three topics in this week's podcast: HBO's 'Mildred Pierce,' which stars Kate Winslet and Evan Rachel Wood and debuts Sunday; Netflix's entry into the scripted-content arena with 'House of Cards'; and a couple of recent 'Chuck' and 'Supernatural' panels that were moderated by some mutant redheaded TV critic.
Running times for each part of the discussion are below.
Netflix has commissioned 26 episodes of a television series called 'House of Cards,' which will star Kevin Spacey and be executive produced by director David Fincher. According to a Friday press release, you'll be able to put 'House of Cards' in your Netflix queue in late 2012.
Netflix going from content-delivery system to a content-creation company raises a lot of questions in my mind, but the primary one is this: Won't this lead to a lot of studios taking their shows and movies off Netflix at some point?
Deadline reports that Neflix outbid premium cable networks for the drama by offering a two-season, 26-episode commitment. The company had previously said it wasn't interested in getting into original programming, but with competitors like Amazon nipping at their heels, it seems like a smart move.
In other TV news ...
• Could Ricki Lake return to TV? Depends on what Katie Couric wants to do. If the CBS anchor doesn't renew her contract and heads to daytime instead, Lake's out of luck. [Broadcasting & Cable]
• Joan and Melissa will be back for more hijinks in 2012. WE tv renewed the mother-daughter duo's reality show for a second season. [The Hollywood Reporter]
• Another taxidermy show? As Sarah Palin might say, you betcha! The Discovery Channel announced a new special called 'Taxidermy USA' that's scheduled to air March 31. Do we really need to explain what it's about? [Discovery]
No networks have signed on yet, but with Fincher's proven track record, that could change pretty quickly. The show is an adaptation of a British book and miniseries of the same name, depicting a lead character with strong political ambitions at the end of Margaret Thatcher's tenure as prime minister. This version will be set in the U.S. with a focus on "issues of political ambition and blackmail."
Sometimes I wonder if what we remember a deceased actor for is the thing that actor would want to be remembered for the most.
British actor Ian Richardson played corrupt politician Francis Urquhart in three mini-series: House of Cards, To Play The King, and The Final Cut, and had a long career starring in such movies as Brazil, The Winslow Boy, Dark City, As You Like It, A Midsummer Night's Dream, Canterbuy Tales, and The Fourth Protocol, but TV audiences might know him best as the guy who pulls up in the limo and asks "Do you have any Grey Poupon?"
Richardson was also an acclaimed stage actor and appeared on other TV shows, including the miniseries Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy, Ike, and the series Highlander. He died in England on Friday.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'Supernatural' Episode 10.12 Photos: Dean Becomes a Teenager
- 'The Originals' Episode 2.12: Hayley Faces Difficult Decision
- 'Arrow' Episode 3.12 Photos: Malcolm Merlyn Joins the Team
- 'The Flash' Episode 12 Photos: Barry Gets a Girlfriend
- 'The Bachelor' Week 5 Photos: A Hot Air Balloon Date
- More From BuddyTV
- HTGAWM Stars on the Arrival of Sam's [Spoiler], Future of The Keating 5: 'There's a Teeter-Totter of Trust'
- Parenthood Finale: Show Boss Talks Flash-Forward Surprises, Deleted Scenes and That FNL Cameo
- Scandal Returns: The 7 Craziest Reveals About Olivia's Vanishing
- Grey's Anatomy Recap: Going, Going Wrong
- Vampire Diaries Recap: The Merge
- More From TVLine
- Disney Is Introducing Its First Latina Princess!
- Suge Knight Reportedly Involved in Fatal Hit-and-Run in Compton
- Heidi Klum Gets Reporter to Strip Down to His Underwear
- 'How to Get Away With Murder' Star on Big Return: 'Answers Are Coming'
- Kim Kardashian Responds to Backlash for Cropping North West Out of Selfie
- More From ET