how sweet it is
I'm sure there are a lot of TV fans out there who really don't know Gleason or his work, or if they do know it, it's from his work on The Honeymooners. They don't remember the other TV shows he had (which aren't usually shown anymore) or his work in films like The Hustler, Gigot, and Requiem For A Heavyweight (OK, maybe they're familiar with Smokey and the Bandit). Nor are they aware of his innovative sitcom filming techniques, using multiple cameras to film the show for videotape.
Today is Jackie Gleason's birthday (he was born in 1916), and there's a new official web site up at JackieGleason.com, and it's quite good. Not only do you get pictures and an in-depth career timeline and forums, there are also various video clips to watch, including Gleason as characters such as Joe The Bartender, The Poor Soul, Rum Dum, and, of course, Ralph Kramden.
YouTube also has some classic Gleason clips. After the jump, Ed Norton trying to teach Ralph how to play golf.
While many think television was built on a combination of electronics and imagination, I personally feel that a good portion of it has been constructed on a fine bed of catchphrases. From the earliest mention of "How sweet it is!" by Jackie Gleason to "That's what she said" from The Office, there probably hasn't been a year that a catchphrase hasn't graced the lips of the international viewing populace.
I'm sure many of you know those catchphrases well. But, do you know when they were first used, or by whom? If you do, then AOL Television's latest trivia quiz will be right up your alley.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'Gotham' Episode 7 Photos: Will Gordon Regret His Decision to Let Penguin Live?
- 'Bones' Episode 10.6 Photos: The Team Chases Goats for Evidence
- 'Dancing with the Stars' Season 19: Week 6 Performance Rankings
- 'The Originals': The 16 Most Memorable Moments from 'Every Mother's Son'
- 'Castle': 23 Times Kids Stole the Show in 'Child's Play'
- More From BuddyTV
- The CW Grants Full-Season Orders to The Flash, Jane the Virgin
- The Bridge Cancelled at FX
- Parenthood Sneak Peek: Adam and Kristina Show Max What Love Is
- TVLine Items: Five-0's Latest Lost Reunion, Y&R Vet to B&B and More
- Person of Interest Video: Root Sheds Her Latest Persona... and Then Some
- More From TVLine
- Why One Jealous Voter Told President Obama Not to Touch His Girlfriend
- Scott Foley: I Had to Google 'Eiffel Tower' After Reading the 'Scandal' Script
- Can You Guess This Emmy-Nominated Actress From Her Very First Acting Gig?
- Sarah Jessica Parker Busted For Shoe Shoot at Carrie Bradshaw's House
- Derick and Jill Duggar Dillard Reveal the Sex of Their Baby
- More From ET