how sweet it is
I'm sure there are a lot of TV fans out there who really don't know Gleason or his work, or if they do know it, it's from his work on The Honeymooners. They don't remember the other TV shows he had (which aren't usually shown anymore) or his work in films like The Hustler, Gigot, and Requiem For A Heavyweight (OK, maybe they're familiar with Smokey and the Bandit). Nor are they aware of his innovative sitcom filming techniques, using multiple cameras to film the show for videotape.
Today is Jackie Gleason's birthday (he was born in 1916), and there's a new official web site up at JackieGleason.com, and it's quite good. Not only do you get pictures and an in-depth career timeline and forums, there are also various video clips to watch, including Gleason as characters such as Joe The Bartender, The Poor Soul, Rum Dum, and, of course, Ralph Kramden.
YouTube also has some classic Gleason clips. After the jump, Ed Norton trying to teach Ralph how to play golf.
While many think television was built on a combination of electronics and imagination, I personally feel that a good portion of it has been constructed on a fine bed of catchphrases. From the earliest mention of "How sweet it is!" by Jackie Gleason to "That's what she said" from The Office, there probably hasn't been a year that a catchphrase hasn't graced the lips of the international viewing populace.
I'm sure many of you know those catchphrases well. But, do you know when they were first used, or by whom? If you do, then AOL Television's latest trivia quiz will be right up your alley.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'Project Runway' Finale Prediction: Who Will Win Season 13?
- 'Bachelor' Roundup: Andi and Josh Invite Exes to Wedding, Desiree and Chris Set the Date
- 'Kardashians' Roundup: Bruce's Rumored Girlfriend, Kris' Thoughts on Bruce and More
- 'American Horror Story: Freak Show' Recap: The Two-Faced Prince is Summoned
- 'Nashville' Recap: How Much Longer Can Will Keep His Secret?
- More From BuddyTV
- Reign Sneak Peek: Mary Finally Loses It, Lashes Out at Lola Over Francis
- Netflix's New Kyle Chandler Thriller Gets a Premiere Date, Title and a (Creepy) Teaser Trailer
- Nashville Recap: Two Dads, No Waiting
- American Horror Story: Freak Show Recap: Truth or Scare
- CBS Trims CSI's Season 15 Order
- More From TVLine
- Zach Galifianakis Asks Brad Pitt About Jennifer Aniston's 'Friends' on 'Between Two Ferns'
- Kim Kardashian: North West Will Have to Work For What She Wants
- Zelda Williams Gets New Tattoo In Memory of Father Robin Williams
- Beyonce and Jay Z Reportedly Renew Their Marriage Vows
- 13 Mind-Blowing Moments From the First 'Avengers: Age Of Ultron' Trailer
- More From ET