in case of emergency
With only one episode left in its run, ABC has yanked In Case of Emergency off the air. The series stars David Arquette, Jonathan Silverman, and Greg Germann as former high school classmates who reunite later in life and discover they're not where they thought they would be at this point in their lives. Last week's episode scored a 1.5 rating, tying with a repeat of Pussycat Dolls Present: The Search for the Next Doll.
A repeat of Lost will replace In Case of Emergency this Wednesday at 9 pm.
Even though it's not an official cancellation, it's pretty clear this show is over. ABC also canceled Six Degrees last week. Still on the bubble is What About Brian.
- At 8, FOX has a new Bones, then new episodes of American Idol and 'Til Death.
- ABC has a new George Lopez at 8.
- CBS has new episodes of Survivor (special night), Criminal Minds, and CSI: NY.
- NBC has a new Friday Night Lights at 8, then a new Crossing Jordan.
- There's a new America's Next Top Model on The CW at 8, then a new Pussycat Dolls Presents.
- At 9, HGTV has a new Design on a Dime.
- GSN has the special Gameshow Moments Gone Bananas. It's on at 9 too.
- At 9:30, ABC has a new In Case of Emergency, followed by a new Lost.
- At 10, Comedy Central has a new South Park, then a new Halfway Home.
- Bravo has a new Top Design at 10.
Check your local TV listings for more.
This past Wednesday was rock bottom. The network found itself in fourth place both in total viewers and the 18-49 demo. Most disturbing was the performance of the new sit-coms Knights of Prosperity and In Case of Emergency. They managed to attract just 3.58 and 2.98 million viewers respectively. They were up against American Idol, but still... Ouch.
ABC's answer? Move Knights of Prosperity to 8:30 and let According to Jim lead off that 9PM hour. Yeah, that should work. It is good news for fans of Knights. Going up against Bones is certainly an easier task than facing Idol, so it would seem that they are at least trying to give the show a fighting chance. Things don't look good for In Case of Emergency though.
That's what I got when I sat in on the panel for the new ABC sitcom In Case of Emergency.
- At 8, ABC has two new episodes of According To Jim.
- CBS has the premiere of Armed & Famous at 8.
- NBC has a new Friday Night Lights at 8.
- There's a new Beauty and the Geek on The CW at 8.
- At 9, President Bush addresses the nation on ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX, the major cable news outlets, and C-SPAN.
- A&E starts showing The Sopranos at 9.
- At 9:30, ABC has a new episode of In Case of Emergency (unless they decide to go with The Knights of Prosperity), followed by a new Primetime.
- NBC has Deal Or No Deal at 9:30.
- At 10, NBC has a new ep of Medium.
- MTV has a new Real World at 10.
- There's a new Inside the NFL at 10 on HBO.
- Also at 10: Bravo has a new Top Chef.
- At 8, FOX has the Allstate Sugar Bowl.
- CBS has a new King of Queens at 8.
- PBS has the premiere of Wired Science at 8, followed by a new American Masters on Annie Leibovitz.
- ABC has two new episodes of According To Jim at 8, followed by the premieres of The Knights of Prosperity and In Case of Emergency, then a new Primetime.
- NBC has new episodes of Friday Night Lights, Deal Or No Deal, and Medium.
- The CW has the two hour season premiere of Beauty and the Geek at 8.
- At 9, Court TV has a new Forensic Files.
- At 10, HBO has a new Inside The NFL.
- TV Land continues their M*A*S*H marathon.
When Knights of Prosperity and In Case Of Emergency kick off on January 3rd at 9PM there will still be five more episodes of Brett Hopper's bad day. Could it be that the terrible ratings have finally caught up with the show and ABC is going to quit while they're behind? The other option is moving the show, but at this point I'm not sure the numbers will even allow them to do that.
They could stick a repeat Grey's Anatomy in any of the slots and easily get twice the audience. Added to that, there are still episodes of The Nine and Six Degrees in the can that are just as, if not more, deserving of any open slot. Day Break may be destined for the internet, and a complete series DVD set.
[ via Variety.com ]
In Case of Emergency, a new dark comedy, is slated to appear sometime this year on ABC. If you want to see David Arquette, Lori Loughlin, Jonathan Silverman, Jackson Bond, and Kelly Hu play old high school friends whose lives turned out really crappy, then I guess this is the show you've been dreaming of, Jimmy. The press release doesn't tell us a whole lot about the show, other than it sounds like it'll be venturing into some "dark comedy" territory (one friend tries to commit suicide but shoots himself in the foot instead). It looks decent enough on paper, we'll see how it looks once it hits the air.
Some early thoughts after the jump:
Details, details, details on ABC's pick-ups:
- The Nine, a drama following the aftermath of hostages in a bank robbery;
- Six Degrees, a drama about six strangers brought together by mysterious circumstances (Identity meets Lost?);
- Day Break, a drama starring Taye Diggs as a cop who tries to figure out who tried to kill him;
- In Case of Emergency, a comedy starring David Arquette, Greg Germann and Jonathan Silverman as a group of high school buddies who reunite when their lives intersect in some sort of comedic way;
- Help Me Help You, a comedy starring Ted Danson as a troubled celebrity shrink;
- Notes from the Underbelly, a comedy about how the life of a couple changes as they're expecting their first child.
Here is the latest casting news from The Hollywood Reporter:
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'Big Brother 17' Spoilers: Is the Twin Twist Exposed?
- 'Teen Wolf' Recap: The Pack Searches for Tracy While The Ladies Get a Chance to Shine
- 'The Whispers' Recap: Drill's Secrets are Revealed
- 'Becoming Us' Recap: Does Carly Steal Sutton's Thunder?
- 'The Bachelorette' Recap: Kaitlyn's Secret and Shawn's Jealous Rage
- More From BuddyTV
- Teen Wolf Recap: Without a Tracy
- UnReal Recap: There's Something Off About Mary
- The Bachelorette Recap: The Truth Won't Let You Pee!
- So You Think You Can Dance Recap: The Top 20 Revealed — and Ranked! Plus: Exclusive First-Look Photos
- Chasing Life EP on Natalie's Discovery, April's Setback & More Season 2 Scoop
- More From TVLine