Berkus has appeared on Winfrey's show many times over the years, and even served as host for her one-season prime time venture, 'Oprah's Big Give.' He's already a bestselling author, radio host, and has his own home line on Home Shopping Network, and at Linens 'n Things.
I guess with Martha Stewart leaving syndication as well, Oprah saw an opening for home decoration and interior design. She'd already taken a bite out of the cooking genre with Rachael Ray. The question is: what's left for Oprah to conquer? Is it time to horn in on the sleazy talk shows like Jerry Springer and Maury Povich? Does she have a judge she can trot out?
As if there weren't enough remodeling/makeover shows on the air, and obviously there aren't, WE tv has just greenlit the latest. The Hollywood Reporter tells us Ugliest House on the Block involves neighbors and experts giving a four-day makeover to whichever house the neighbors consider to be the biggest eyesore. And, of course, the show promises "green" segments to show how to be more environmentally friendly with home decorating and design.
"Home decorating and design is a genre that has mass appeal for women," said Kim Martin, executive VP and GM at WE. So does the bad-boys-who-treat-women-like-crap genre, but I don't see WE tailoring a show for this segment of the female population. I'd say the all-men-are-evil-and-deserve-to-be-put-down-like-dogs genre, but Lifetime Movie Network seems to have the corner on that market.
Yet, I hold out hope that the show will acquire the addictive properties of its Bravo predecessors. Here are the five reasons why I'm giving Top Design a two to three episode reprieve before I nix it from my viewing schedule:
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- Once Upon a Time Season 4 Casts Shameless Star as Frozen's Hans; John Rhys-Davies to Voice Rock Troll
- First Look: Gracepoint Detective Issues a Stern Warning to Danny's Killer
- Matt's Inside Line: Scoop on NCIS, Arrow, Criminal Minds, Supernatural, Longmire, Castle and More
- 'Ship Shape: How Fave Pairs From Major Crimes, Defiance, Witches, Falling Skies and Other Shows Are Faring
- TVLine Items: Fringe Fave Goes Orange, Ferb Gets Lost, Vikings Trailer and More
- More From TVLine
- iJustine on the Selfie Making News Around The World
- Michael Douglas Thanks Doctors on World Head and Neck Cancer Day
- Ian Somerhalder Puckers Up for One Lucky Fan
- Who Will Be Taking It All Off for 'Hair' at the Hollywood Bowl?
- Donald Sterling Loses Court Case, Sale of Clippers Can Go Forward
- More From ET