internet movie database
Well, this is a rather cool feature for a TV fan: IMDb pages for TV and movie characters.
Now, it's one thing to have a page for a character that has only been seen on one TV show. But what about characters that have appeared on several TV shows? I decided to test IMDb and see how thorough it is. I typed in "Mike Bauer," a character that used to be on Guiding Light. The character has not only been played by a bunch of characters over the decades, he also appeared on another soap, Another World (on another network!), and damn, the IMDb caught that too.
They started adding a ton of info for specific episodes of TV series and for each season of a TV series, which on the surface sounds like a good idea. But in the process of doing that they've buried the main cast list for the TV shows! You used to be able to go to a TV show, say a show like Outlaws that I did a story about recently, and see the cast list right there on the front page. But no more. I spent about an hour trying to find the damn cast list, but got various dead ends, including "Full Cast and Crew" and "Episodes Cast." You'd think the main cast list would be there, but you'd be wrong. You have to click on "Season" and then the episode title. It's not like that for every show, but it is for many of them.
To quote Nancy Kerrigan, why, why, why??
Yup, if you like family comedies, you'll love a reality show about people on an island backstabbing each other to win a million bucks! I know that family life can be hectic, but it's not that bad.
Curious, I went over to the Survivor page, and the recommendation for people who like Survivor is...The Apprentice. Now that actually makes sense, but why isn't the recommendation Something So Right? (Oh, and Survivor is also recommended for people who like Newsradio and American Gothic too).
How do they pick the recommendations? Is it actual people picking them, or is generated by what shows users are looking at? Very weird.
[via TV Barn]
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- What to Watch This Weekend: Orphan Black Returns, A Devious Premiere, Salem and More
- TVLine's Performer of the Week: Jack Gleeson
- Report: Gwen Stefani Replacing Christina Aguilera on The Voice Next Season
- Shane West Previews Scary Salem's 'Sense of Urgency and Dread,' Talks Taming His Wig
- Exclusive Mentalist Sneak Peek: Pike Has Big News for Lisbon — and It's Not Good
- More From TVLine
- John C. Reilly Takes You Behind The Scenes Of Disney's 'Bears'
- 'Hawaii Five-0' Star Alex O'Loughlin is Married!
- 'Jesus Christ Superstar' Creators Talk Show's Creation & Controversy
- 'Good Morning America' Promotes Lara Spencer to Co-Host
- Exclusive: Lionel Richie Recalls His Amazing Chance Meeting with Marvin Gaye
- More From ET