Do you hear that sound? That's millions of 'Moonlight' fans exploding with joy that their favorite star has gotten the Steve McGarrett role. They're giddy with excitement because Alex is a star who as been searching for just the right role, just the right project, just the right hit that would keep him on the air. 'Hawaii Five-0' has a really good chance to succeed. Make that extremely good.
Alex O'Loughlin, to be exact, who starred in two flops on CBS recently, the vampire drama Moonlight and the medical drama Three Rivers. The network seems to love the guy and they want to give him another show to star in, and that show might be the remake of the Hawaii-based cop show. Sources will only say that "talks are ongoing."
What do you think of this casting? Whoever they get for the show, I only have one request: please keep the original theme song.
A little over a year ago, CBS was all a flutter with thoughts of a new Hawaii Five-O. Jane wrote about it and even allowed herself to get geeked about a new Jack Lord and company. Well, that incarnation by Criminal Minds executive producer Ed Bernero failed to make it into production. I guess it didn't have enough "Book 'em, Danno's" -- or maybe it had too many. Whatever the reason, that version died and a new one has been ordered. CBS now has a new plan for an updated Hawaii Five-O.
The Criminal Minds exec producer is also creating a new version of the classic show that starred Jack Lord as Steve McGarrett, head of an elite branch of the fictional Hawaii State Police. The show won two Primetime Emmys and ran on CBS from 1968 to 1980 (Really?! It ran that long?!).
According to The Hollywood Reporter, the new version will feature McGarrett's son as top cop. Bernero says he won't try and re-invent the series, and will "keep as much of the original show as possible."
Okay, let's think about this. Who looks enough like Jack Lord to play his son? (Of course, he'll have to have the same immovable, thick mane.) Jake Gyllenhaal? Kyle MacLachlan? How about Peter Krause? Dirty Sexy Money can't last much longer, can it?
Ah, the police detective genre. It's one of the staples of a network's TV lineup. We all have our favorites, whether the characters are in blue uniforms or suits. Here are my Top 5 (and just so we're clear, I'm talking about police detectives, not private eyes or amateur investigators. I'll have that list tomorrow!)
1. Lt. Columbo (Peter Falk): No contest, really. Sure, there are some other great cops and detectives, but not many with the sheer Sherlock Holmes-like smarts as Lt. Columbo. He walked around sorta lost and bumbling, with a constantly lit cigar, a rumpled raincoat, and hair that made it look like he just woke up. But he was no fool, which all the murderers found out a little bit too late.
But only for a week! The first season DVD set of the classic crime series was supposed to come out on February 27, 2006, but the release date has now been changed to March 6. Here is a list of the episode titles, though there is no word on commentaries or other extra features.
Take a look at the box cover. Notice how the giant wave from the opening credits matches star Jack Lord's hairstyle! I wonder if the people who designed the cover did that on purpose. Lord was an interesting guy. Checking online, it looks like he pretty much stopped acting after the 1980 movie M Station: Hawaii, which I've never seen but seems like it was probably done with the same crew/facilities as Hawaii Five-0, and was probably an easy gig since Lord lived there. After that movie he seemed happy painting, and could often be seen walking around Hawaii in a big straw hat. I remember that image from several photos in magazines in the 80s and 90s.
I enjoyed the series, but not enough to go out and buy the DVDs. Unlike my roommate, who I think has been waiting for the show to come out on DVD since 1981.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- Idol Judges on Season 14: J.Lo Wants Less Cruelty, Adam Lambert Seeks Artistry, Harry Flinches at 'Geek' Label
- Pilot Scoop: Zach Gilford to Crush on Jennifer Carpenter in USA's Stanistan
- TVLine Items: Gloria Steinem Meets Good Wife, AHS Adds Chloe King & More
- Vampire Diaries Season 6: Dramatic New Poster Pairs Elena With Stefan
- Arrow Season 3 Poster Highlights the Fortified Team Arrow
- More From TVLine
- Trust Us, You Need to Watch This Cheesecake Factory Parody of Iggy Azalea's 'Fancy'
- Taylor Swift Writes a (Really, Really Passionate) Ode to Fall
- Iggy Azalea Reportedly Sues Ex-Boyfriend, Goes Under Disguise
- Your Chance to Cruise with the Women of the Grammys
- Welcome to Your New Favorite Instagram Account: DILFs of Disneyland
- More From ET