Rooney died Fri., Nov. 4 at the age of 92. He had stepped down from his '60 Minutes' post on Oct. 2, saying at the time "I wish I could do this forever. I can't, though."
Rooney's final essay, "My Lucky Life," was his 1,097th for the long-running news program.
According to the Hollywood Reporter, Morley Safer will lead the tribute to the late writer. Rooney had been with '60 Minutes' since 1978.
According to The AP, Couric will step down from her role as anchor of the 'CBS Evening News' after almost five years in the job. The AP says a network executive, who spoke on condition of anonymity because Couric has not officially announced her plans, reported the move Sunday night.
No departure date has been set, but Couric's contract expires June 4th. She is now expected to launch a syndicated talk show in 2012, and several companies -- including CBS -- are reportedly vying for her services.
Odd headline over at the Asbury Park Press. It says ""60 Minutes Has No Plans To Replace Bradley," but then in the article there's a quote from the show's executive producer, Jeff Fager, where he says "It's a long-term project to find the next full-time person who can show the abilities that are expected of a 60 Minutes correspondent."
Sounds to me like they do have plans to replace Bradley, but not until next season.
But what's the big deal here? Did we really expect that 60 Minutes can just lose a top reporter and not replace him? And I hate the word "replace" anyway, like he just kept a spot warm and now they're throwing another person in there to take up the spot. Bradley himself won't (and can't) be replaced, he was unique. It's his duties that will be done by someone else.
[via TV Newser]
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'Orphan Black' Recap: Devotion and Desperation Lead to Big Moves and Confrontations
- 'The Messengers' Recap: Dealing with Pestilence
- 'Wayward Pines' Interview: M. Night Shyamalan on Shocking Death and Darker Turn
- 'Bachelorette' Star Kaitlyn Bristowe on Pre-Fantasy Suite Sex: 'I Don't Know Why Everyone is So Shocked'
- 'The Bachelor' Season 11 Week 2 Photos: Punchlines and Punches
- More From BuddyTV
- Quotes of the Week From The Flash, Late Show, Game of Thrones and More
- Sharon Osbourne on Hiatus from CBS' The Talk Due to 'Extreme Exhaustion'
- Orphan Black Boss Talks [Spoiler]'s Sacrifice, Angry Felix, Twerking Alison
- Saturday Night Live: Watch Season 40's 15 Best Sketches Now!
- TVLine's Performer of the Week: Grant Gustin
- More From TVLine
- Star Sightings May 2015
- Happy Anniversary, Kimye! Take a Look Back at Kim Kardashian and Kanye West's First Year of Marriage
- Kim Kardashian & Kris Humphries' Failed Wedding Birthed A New California Law
- Celebs React to Ireland's Historic Same-Sex Marriage Vote
- Sharon Osbourne to Take Month Leave From 'The Talk' After Collapse
- More From ET