Rooney died Fri., Nov. 4 at the age of 92. He had stepped down from his '60 Minutes' post on Oct. 2, saying at the time "I wish I could do this forever. I can't, though."
Rooney's final essay, "My Lucky Life," was his 1,097th for the long-running news program.
According to the Hollywood Reporter, Morley Safer will lead the tribute to the late writer. Rooney had been with '60 Minutes' since 1978.
According to The AP, Couric will step down from her role as anchor of the 'CBS Evening News' after almost five years in the job. The AP says a network executive, who spoke on condition of anonymity because Couric has not officially announced her plans, reported the move Sunday night.
No departure date has been set, but Couric's contract expires June 4th. She is now expected to launch a syndicated talk show in 2012, and several companies -- including CBS -- are reportedly vying for her services.
Odd headline over at the Asbury Park Press. It says ""60 Minutes Has No Plans To Replace Bradley," but then in the article there's a quote from the show's executive producer, Jeff Fager, where he says "It's a long-term project to find the next full-time person who can show the abilities that are expected of a 60 Minutes correspondent."
Sounds to me like they do have plans to replace Bradley, but not until next season.
But what's the big deal here? Did we really expect that 60 Minutes can just lose a top reporter and not replace him? And I hate the word "replace" anyway, like he just kept a spot warm and now they're throwing another person in there to take up the spot. Bradley himself won't (and can't) be replaced, he was unique. It's his duties that will be done by someone else.
[via TV Newser]
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- The Most Scandalous Moments from 'Downton Abbey'
- 'Dancing with the Stars' Season 20 Official Couples Photos
- 'The Walking Dead': 20 Factors of the New Normal in Alexandria from 'Remember'
- 'Once Upon a Time': 19 Moments of Queens, Creatures and Curses from 'Darkness on the Edge of Town'
- 'House of Cards': The Rise and Fall of TV's Most Powerful Couple
- More From BuddyTV
- The Good Wife First Look: Finn Is Back — With Another Woman?
- Allison Janney Confirms Masters of Sex Season 3 Return
- Salem Season 2 Trailer Offers First Look at Lucy Lawless' Wicked Arrival
- Pretty Little Liars' Brandon Jones Previews Aria's Future With Andrew
- S.H.I.E.L.D.'s Chloe Bennet Previews Skye's Inhuman Crisis — Plus: Will New Secrets Shake Up Coulson's Team?
- More From TVLine
- This Cat's Reaction to Having Her Teeth Brushed Is Our New Reaction to Everything
- Madonna's 6 Pieces of Wisdom for Kanye West: 'Sometimes He Takes Things Too Seriously'
- This Guy Pretends He Won An Oscar And They Literally Give Him A Car
- Hugh Jackman Might Have the Most High-Maintenance Hair in Hollywood
- Cameron Diaz Says Sex Is Her Secret to Staying Young
- More From ET