Rooney died Fri., Nov. 4 at the age of 92. He had stepped down from his '60 Minutes' post on Oct. 2, saying at the time "I wish I could do this forever. I can't, though."
Rooney's final essay, "My Lucky Life," was his 1,097th for the long-running news program.
According to the Hollywood Reporter, Morley Safer will lead the tribute to the late writer. Rooney had been with '60 Minutes' since 1978.
According to The AP, Couric will step down from her role as anchor of the 'CBS Evening News' after almost five years in the job. The AP says a network executive, who spoke on condition of anonymity because Couric has not officially announced her plans, reported the move Sunday night.
No departure date has been set, but Couric's contract expires June 4th. She is now expected to launch a syndicated talk show in 2012, and several companies -- including CBS -- are reportedly vying for her services.
Odd headline over at the Asbury Park Press. It says ""60 Minutes Has No Plans To Replace Bradley," but then in the article there's a quote from the show's executive producer, Jeff Fager, where he says "It's a long-term project to find the next full-time person who can show the abilities that are expected of a 60 Minutes correspondent."
Sounds to me like they do have plans to replace Bradley, but not until next season.
But what's the big deal here? Did we really expect that 60 Minutes can just lose a top reporter and not replace him? And I hate the word "replace" anyway, like he just kept a spot warm and now they're throwing another person in there to take up the spot. Bradley himself won't (and can't) be replaced, he was unique. It's his duties that will be done by someone else.
[via TV Newser]
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'Gotham' Episode 7 Photos: Will Gordon Regret His Decision to Let Penguin Live?
- 'Bones' Episode 10.6 Photos: The Team Chases Goats for Evidence
- 'Dancing with the Stars' Season 19: Week 6 Performance Rankings
- 'The Originals': The 16 Most Memorable Moments from 'Every Mother's Son'
- 'Castle': 23 Times Kids Stole the Show in 'Child's Play'
- More From BuddyTV
- The CW Grants Full-Season Orders to The Flash, Jane the Virgin
- The Bridge Cancelled at FX
- Parenthood Sneak Peek: Adam and Kristina Show Max What Love Is
- TVLine Items: Five-0's Latest Lost Reunion, Y&R Vet to B&B and More
- Person of Interest Video: Root Sheds Her Latest Persona... and Then Some
- More From TVLine
- Scott Foley: I Had to Google 'Eiffel Tower' After Reading the 'Scandal' Script
- Can You Guess This Emmy-Nominated Actress From Her Very First Acting Gig?
- Sarah Jessica Parker Busted For Shoe Shoot at Carrie Bradshaw's House
- Derick and Jill Duggar Dillard Reveal the Sex of Their Baby
- Singing Nun from Italy's 'The Voice' Takes on Madonna's 'Like a Virgin': Watch Now!
- More From ET