Rooney died Fri., Nov. 4 at the age of 92. He had stepped down from his '60 Minutes' post on Oct. 2, saying at the time "I wish I could do this forever. I can't, though."
Rooney's final essay, "My Lucky Life," was his 1,097th for the long-running news program.
According to the Hollywood Reporter, Morley Safer will lead the tribute to the late writer. Rooney had been with '60 Minutes' since 1978.
According to The AP, Couric will step down from her role as anchor of the 'CBS Evening News' after almost five years in the job. The AP says a network executive, who spoke on condition of anonymity because Couric has not officially announced her plans, reported the move Sunday night.
No departure date has been set, but Couric's contract expires June 4th. She is now expected to launch a syndicated talk show in 2012, and several companies -- including CBS -- are reportedly vying for her services.
Odd headline over at the Asbury Park Press. It says ""60 Minutes Has No Plans To Replace Bradley," but then in the article there's a quote from the show's executive producer, Jeff Fager, where he says "It's a long-term project to find the next full-time person who can show the abilities that are expected of a 60 Minutes correspondent."
Sounds to me like they do have plans to replace Bradley, but not until next season.
But what's the big deal here? Did we really expect that 60 Minutes can just lose a top reporter and not replace him? And I hate the word "replace" anyway, like he just kept a spot warm and now they're throwing another person in there to take up the spot. Bradley himself won't (and can't) be replaced, he was unique. It's his duties that will be done by someone else.
[via TV Newser]
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'Project Runway' Finale Prediction: Who Will Win Season 13?
- 'Bachelor' Roundup: Andi and Josh Invite Exes to Wedding, Desiree and Chris Set the Date
- 'Kardashians' Roundup: Bruce's Rumored Girlfriend, Kris' Thoughts on Bruce and More
- 'American Horror Story: Freak Show' Recap: The Two-Faced Prince is Summoned
- 'Nashville' Recap: How Much Longer Can Will Keep His Secret?
- More From BuddyTV
- Reign Sneak Peek: Mary Finally Loses It, Lashes Out at Lola Over Francis
- Netflix's New Kyle Chandler Thriller Gets a Premiere Date, Title and a (Creepy) Teaser Trailer
- Nashville Recap: Two Dads, No Waiting
- American Horror Story: Freak Show Recap: Truth or Scare
- CBS Trims CSI's Season 15 Order
- More From TVLine
- Zach Galifianakis Asks Brad Pitt About Jennifer Aniston's 'Friends' on 'Between Two Ferns'
- Kim Kardashian: North West Will Have to Work For What She Wants
- Zelda Williams Gets New Tattoo In Memory of Father Robin Williams
- Beyonce and Jay Z Reportedly Renew Their Marriage Vows
- 13 Mind-Blowing Moments From the First 'Avengers: Age Of Ultron' Trailer
- More From ET