But, here's hoping the movie's success leads some folks back to rediscover the single greatest production of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's short stories -- the Granada and PBS Sherlock Holmes series of the 80s.
To most Holmes fans, Jeremy Brett (right) was the perfect actor playing the role he was born to fill. He had the look, the voice and the mannerisms most readers envisioned when reading "The Red Headed League" or "The Speckled Band."
Welcome to TV Squad Lists (formerly 'The Five'), a feature where each blogger has a chance to list his or her own rundown of things in television that stand out from the rest, both good and bad.
OK, so yesterday I gave my list of the Five Greatest Police Detectives, and several readers gave their lists. Today I thought I'd do the other end of the invesitgation spectrum, private eyes, amateur sleuths and other investigators. This list was even hard to do. So many great characters.
1. Spenser (Robert Urich): I picked this Boston-based private eye because he seemed to be a great mix of brain and brawn. The type of guy who could go to the ratty gym and knock around some boxer and then go off to a fancy Beacon Hill cafe and have coffee with his girlfriend and talk about politics or literature. He was smart, clever, caring, a wiseass, and ridiculously moral. What else do you want in a private eye?
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'Orphan Black' Episode 3.4 Photos: Sarah, Alison and Helena Run Into Trouble
- 'Backstrom': Ranking All the Episodes of Season 1
- 'Dancing with the Stars' Live Blog: America's Choice and the Trio Challenge
- 'The Voice' Live Blog: The Top 6 Perform
- 'The Vampire Diaries' Season 6 Finale Photos: Goodbye, Mystic Falls
- More From BuddyTV
- Nashville Finale Photos: Juliette's Last Straw, Deacon's Last Chance?
- You're the Worst Recruits Office Boss to Wrangle Jimmy in Season 2
- The Simpsons Renewed: Fox Orders Seasons 27 and 28
- The Flash's Candice Patton Talks Iris' Epiphany ('I Was So Relieved!'), Grodd, Barry vs. Eddie, Unexpected Finale
- TVLine Items: Tyrant Season 2 Trailer, David Fincher's HBO Series and More
- More From TVLine
- Katy Perry Is Unrecognizable in Wonderland Magazine: Inside the Shoot!
- Diddy's Laughably NSFW Fragrance Ad Is Really Just Him and Cassie Having Sex
- 2015 Met Gala Arrivals
- Britney Spears Ditches Ankle Cast Just Days After Stage Fall
- Sofia Vergara Talks Nick Loeb Frozen Embryo Battle: 'Obviously, He Has a Problem With Me'
- More From ET