Boston Legal is a unique program. Not in terms of its subject matter, or its cast (although, it does have a pretty star-studded cast), but in the fact that it has such a huge connection to the various incarnations of Star Trek. No, I'm not saying that the show takes place in the legal offices of the United Federation of Planets. What I'm pointing out is the fact that it stars or has featured several actors who have been part of that legacy. Here is a breakdown of the five (plus one) Star Trek actors who have graced the David E. Kelly program.
William Shatner (Denny Crane): Of course, we all know Mr. Shatner as the brave and bold Captain James T. Kirk from the original run of Star Trek. And, in some ways, Shatner's Denny Crane is a future version of the Captain. For instance, Denny is tough, abrasive, direct, and extremely horny. If you have seen the show, you know that Denny will have sex with anything that isn't tied down, including life-like inflatable dolls that have a uncanny likeness to law firm partner Shirley Schmidt. Other than the inflatable doll, how much of what I mentioned describes Kirk?
Stark likes him, seeing in Isaac someone like himself maybe. Impulsive, but smart and committed. Since Stark's first job offer, Isaac's been working security for a wealthy rapper who happens to be a total jerk, so after Isaac inquires about the county's dental plan, he's on board with Stark.
The great William Forsythe, classic bad-guy character actor, guest-stars as Russo. He and James Woods perform well together, and have good chemistry. Russo even makes at joking-stab at getting Stark to get him on the county payroll, but that's dicey given Russo's separate grand jury and murder investigation troubles. I'm still holding out hope that Stark's still keeping that position open for Henry Simmons.
Well, not the real Seven of Nine from Star Trek: Voyager, because that would be just silly. I mean, do you know the financial costs of traveling back in time from the 24th century? They're astronomical! Plus, if she manipulates the time stream we could all be living under the iron thumb of . . . gulp . . . Canada!
No, I'm talking about Jeri Ryan, who appeared as Seven of Nine, and recently worked with David E. Kelley, creator of ABC's Boston Legal, on the FOX series Boston Public. Ryan will be appearing in the two-hour season finale of Boston Legal that will air on May 16th. She will appear as host of a fictional reality series who is charged with attempted murder after shooting at a member of the paparazzi that was stalking her.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'Breaking Amish': Meet the new cast heading to Los Angeles
- 'Teen Wolf': Fireflies, Stiles and death by virgin sacrifice
- 'The Bachelorette': Bryden has doubts; Hurricane Sandy couple brings James and Dez closer
- 'The Voice' recap: The Top 3 take the stage one last time
- John Hurt infected with 'The Strain,' joins Guillermo del Toro's FX pilot
- More From Zap2it
- Mistresses Recap: Yikes! Someone Actually Said, 'The Worst Is Over'
- Report: The Client List Renewal Held Up By Backstage Debate Over Baby-Daddy Drama
- The Voice Season 4 'Live Finals' Recap: Who Should (and Will) Win It All?
- FX's The Strain Pilot Adds Merlin's John Hurt
- TVLine Items: Showtime's Sexy New Trailer, Another Lost Reunion Hits Hawaii and More!
- More From TVLine