"They think about it and then they go, oh it must be hell," Jimmy Fallon figured of the quiet audience.
Gaffigan talked about the chaos that his life has become, particularly the whole sleeping arrangement. His wife has told the children that anyone can come in and sleep in the bed with them after a bad dream, but according to Gaffigan this leads to a whole different problem.
"When you wake up, your first thought is, Oh my God, I wet the bed," he says of the accidents his kids have in bed with him. "I feel like I'm living with a bunch of drunk people. Everybody's wetting the bed, screaming. It's like 'Jersey Shore.'
So Sutherland warned him of a particular reality Gaffigan had surely never encountered during his stand-up comedy routines.
"A lot of the matinee performances, a lot of older audiences go. Over a six-month period, if the audience is between 80 and 90 years old, it is not uncommon that someone would actually pass away in the course of your play," he explained on 'Late Night' (weeknights, 12:37AM ET on NBC).
On the first night, during a very quiet scene, the actors heard an audience member gasping for air. They halted the play, and someone shouted for a doctor. Gaffigan was shocked and said to Sutherland, "You're not kidding! First one out of the gate [and] you killed someone already."
Thankfully, no. A woman was choking on a piece of candy. "They got the candy out of her esophagus, and she was absolutely fine." But the incident made Gaffigan a true believer.
But what happened to the funny lady's former TV cohorts from her Emmy-winning 1994-98 ABC sitcom 'Ellen' (which included the famous 'Puppy Episode,' where DeGeneres' character, Ellen Morgan, announced she was gay) and her short-lived 2001-02 CBS comedy 'The Ellen Show'?
Where are they now? Check it out after the jump.
Twitter haters always say the same thing when they explain why they're not on it: "Why would I care when someone's eating a sandwich?" It's so much more than that. I even think it has evolved into something the creators of Twitter could never have imagined. Sure, it's social networking, but not social networking in the sense that Facebook is. It's a whole different thing. It's like getting a stream of e-mails or IMs or breaking news posts throughout the day from people you're actually interested in hearing from.
And that list of people just might include TV personalities.
Gaffigan is hilarious with that dry sense of humor and the furrowed brow. How much you want to bet he's been there when it comes to getting crappy gifts. You know, like a coffee mug that looks like it must have been re-gifted from an office birthday party. Or the jewelry box that's too ugly to be put on your dresser. Or a Chatty Cathy doll you received when your parents knew you weren't interested in playing with dolls.
Oops, that last one was a personal one of mine.
Is My Boys the sitcom we all should be watching? We hear so much about 30 Rock, How I Met Your Mother, Scrubs, even Big Bang Theory, but My Boys has its following too. Last night's episode was about Facebook, and yes, the show has a Facebook page!
Let's just get this out of the way: My Boys isn't a very good show. Calling it mediocre is even going too far. However, I can't be the only one that's watching it, because the TBS sitcom is already a few episodes into its third season. That's right - My Boys has actually been somewhat of a minor success for TBS, partially due to some wise scheduling. Save for the first half of season one, My Boys is always on during the spring and summer months when - surprise - there isn't much else to compete with. The show might not be great, but hey, new TV is better than no TV.
- At 7, ABC has a new America's Funniest Home Videos, followed by a new, two-hour Extreme Makeover.
- CBS has a new 60 Minutes at 7, then new episodes of The Amazing Race, Cold Case, and The Unit.
- NBC has a new Dateline at 7, followed by new episodes of Kings and Celebrity Apprentice.
- At 8, FOX has a new Simpsons.
- HBO has the series premiere of The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency at 8.
- Disney has a new Sonny with a Chance at 8.
- At 9, FOX has a new Family Guy, then a new American Dad.
- PBS has a new Masterpiece Classic at 9.
- MTV has a new Rob Dyrdek's Fantasy Factory at 9, followed by new episodes of Bully Beatdown and Nitro Circus.
- Also at 9: Comedy Central has the standup special Jim Gaffigan: King Baby.
- At 10, AMC has a new Breaking Bad.
- Showtime has a new United States of Tara at 10.
- At 11:45, Cartoon Network has a new Aqua Teen Hunger Force.
- At 12:15am, Cartoon Network has a new Delocated, then a new Tim and Eric's Awesome Show, Great Job.
Check your local TV listings for more.
He landed his own short-lived sitcom on CBS, thanks to David Letterman, called Welcome to New York and a co-starring role on the hit TBS' dramedy My Boys, which returns for a third season on March 31.
He also racked up a long resume of funny and dramatic roles on hit shows like Sex and the City, Flight of the Conchords, and That 70's Show. He is also one of the few actors to score appearances on all of the Law & Order series if you don't count the spinoff that hardcore L&O cultists are forbidden to say out loud.
Normally, any post I wrote up in reference to a video found on YouTube would include the video at the end of the post, but since we try to keep our content at least somewhat family safe, you'll have to check it out over at Dead Frog instead. In case I didn't make it clear, the video is definitely not safe for work.
- Ken Levine has some thoughts on American Idol.
- Betty Hutton passed away earlier this week.
- Jim Gaffigan talks about muffins and cakes.
- Best Week Ever isn't too happy that Zarf wasn't nominated for a Daytime Emmy.
- Some people in Hollywood use drugs.
- Will the phrase "Fair & Balanced" make it to the Hall of Fame?
- Maxim picks the 10 best infomercial products. Wait, isn't the Chia Pet ad just a commercial and not an infomercial?
Jim Gaffigan with a head and face full of hair looks a little like Wolverine's nerdy brother.
This was the better of the two ads that ran very close to each other in this commercial break. The other had to do with the cast taking a karate class run by Michael Ian Black. But I wonder what the hell is going on with these commercials. Every single ad, the cast members seem to have different jobs, different relations to each other, probably even different names. Sometimes they work at an airport, sometimes they had hair combovers, sometimes they're married, sometimes they're just friends. Strange.
Anyway, the hair ad was better than the karate ad. (karate video after the jump)
I'm not sure if I'm a fan of these "What's In and What's Out" lists that seem to pop up every December or January. They seem to embrace trends instead of just quality. But I like Hank Steuver's writing and lists like this are a good conversation starter as the new year begins.
That doesn't mean I agree with him on everything. I mean, David Sedaris is "out" while John Hodgman is "in?" That's ridiculous (though I like Hodgman too). And Dancing with the Stars will never be "in" with me. But I love that he picks America's Next Model as being "out" and Ugly Betty being "in." Ditto his picks for Laguna Beach being "out" (Meerkat Manor is "in") and Dane Cook being "out" (thumbs up to Jim Gaffigan!).
What do you think is in and out, TV-wise? I'm sure they'll be a lot of opinions on Steuver picking Battlestar Galactica as being "out" and Heroes as being "in."
The number of sly references in the three-parter is dazzling as are such jaunty songs as "Not Going to Get Me Down This Year" and "Christmas is the Palest Time of Year." So, move over Scrubs' Charlie Brown Xmas and SNL's "Dick in a Box," the "Pale Force Christmas" episode has entered the favorite holiday viral race.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- TVLine Mixtape: Your Favorite Songs from Grey's, Mindy, Parks and More
- Ratings: Five-0 Slips to Low, Last Man Rises, Cristela Ticks Up, Dixie Flat
- Performer of the Week: Lady Gaga
- Glee Recap: Party Poopers
- More From TVLine
- Kanye West Honors His Late Mother & North -- See the Tattoos!
- Kate Mara Doesn't Want You to Eat Meat On Mondays and Here's Why
- William Shatner Feels Awful for Having to Miss Leonard Nimoy's Funeral
- Did Ryan Gosling Get His Daughter's Name Tattooed on His Knuckles?!
- Alicia Keys Shows Off 2-Month-Old Baby in Most Adorable Family Pic!
- More From ET