October 1, 2014
by Jason Hughes, posted Sep 7th 2009 11:03AM
When Andy Richter left Late Night With Conan O'Brien to establish his own career in acting, nobody knew that he'd come full circle and rejoin O'Brien years later. At the same time, nobody knew that creator Victor Fresco would do much the same thing.
Andy Richter Controls the Universe was one of those quirky shows that most people, who enjoy a dash of nonsense in their comedy, really dug. It was a very playful show about a guy working in a massive company. It featured a small ensemble with great chemistry on-screen, and had a unique look at big corporations.
A few years later, Fresco tapped that well again, and we got Better Off Ted, another comedy with absurdist tendencies set in a massive corporation with a small cast. Like Andy, it eked out a second season based more on critical acclaim than ratings. As someone who enjoys both shows, I find myself worrying that Ted will share Andy's ultimate fate, cancellation after the second season.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- Ratings: Selfie and Love Story Gets Few Likes, S.H.I.E.L.D. Hits Low, Mindy Rises
- Nashville Newbie (and Fan) Laura Benanti on Sadie's Music City Sojourn
- Parenthood First Look: Amber and Sarah Have a Serious Baby Talk
- Jessie Gets Engaged, Liv and Maddie's Triplet and More 'Monstober' Photos
- Mistresses' Alyssa Milano: I Won't Be Returning for Season 3
- More From TVLine