September 30, 2014
john olivers new york standup show
John Oliver on Tea Party Rallies, His Comedy Central Stand-Up Series, and Being a Part of 'Community'
by Joel Keller, posted Mar 23rd 2011 3:00PM
When you have 20 minutes to talk to John Oliver, it's hard to figure out where to start. The British import has been taking maximum advantage of his opportunity here in the States, after 'The Daily Show' plucked him from the U.K. stand-up circuit five years ago to be a correspondent and writer.
Since then, he's become the MVP of 'TDS' with his hilarious field reports, studio bits and pretty much any other way they can think of using him. He's been particularly adept at filing stories from rallies, parades and other huge gatherings, bringing back absurd quotes from everyone from Tea Party members to St. Patrick's Day revelers.
He's also made a mark in the sitcom world, playing Ian Duncan, Greendale's most apathetic professor, on 'Community.' Finally, Oliver has still been doing his current-events-charged stand-up, some of which you'll see on the new season of 'John Oliver's New York Stand-Up Show,' which premieres Thursday night (Friday morning) at midnight ET. The series' second season will showcase unknown comedians as well as vets like Maria Bamford and Greg Behrendt.
I spoke to Oliver earlier this month about going to Tea Party rallies, his experience at the 'Rally to Restore Sanity' and everything else that's going on in his busy career.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'Selfie' Review: Is Insensitive and Narcissistic Eliza Likable?
- 'Manhattan Love Story' Review: Why this Candy-Coated Love Story Is Worth a Few Dates
- 'The Voice' Recap: A Returning Singer Stuns the Coaches
- Good Guys Turn Bad: TV Characters Who've Crossed Over to the Dark Side
- 'The Blacklist' Recap: Do Red and Berlin Finally Meet?
- More From BuddyTV
- Person of Interest: Amy Acker Ponders 'Her' New Master Plan, Root's Sexuality
- Castle Premiere Recap: When the Mystery Writer Becomes the Mystery
- Dancing With the Stars Week 3 Results: Did The Right Couple Go Home?
- The Voice Recap: Ear Factor [Updated]
- Sleepy Hollow Recap: The Lyin', the Witch and the Blood Oath
- More From TVLine
- Ben Affleck: My Kids Would Love If I Did a 'Frozen' Sequel
- Jennifer Love Hewitt Once Sent Matt Damon a Bed!
- Reese Witherspoon and Joaquin Phoenix Reunite In 'Inherent Vice' Trailer
- George Clooney and Amal Alamuddin's First Wedding Photo Is Here!
- Kevin Hart & Josh Gad Compare Their Theatrical Talents
- More From ET