April 16, 2014
john olivers new york standup show
John Oliver on Tea Party Rallies, His Comedy Central Stand-Up Series, and Being a Part of 'Community'
by Joel Keller, posted Mar 23rd 2011 3:00PM
When you have 20 minutes to talk to John Oliver, it's hard to figure out where to start. The British import has been taking maximum advantage of his opportunity here in the States, after 'The Daily Show' plucked him from the U.K. stand-up circuit five years ago to be a correspondent and writer.
Since then, he's become the MVP of 'TDS' with his hilarious field reports, studio bits and pretty much any other way they can think of using him. He's been particularly adept at filing stories from rallies, parades and other huge gatherings, bringing back absurd quotes from everyone from Tea Party members to St. Patrick's Day revelers.
He's also made a mark in the sitcom world, playing Ian Duncan, Greendale's most apathetic professor, on 'Community.' Finally, Oliver has still been doing his current-events-charged stand-up, some of which you'll see on the new season of 'John Oliver's New York Stand-Up Show,' which premieres Thursday night (Friday morning) at midnight ET. The series' second season will showcase unknown comedians as well as vets like Maria Bamford and Greg Behrendt.
I spoke to Oliver earlier this month about going to Tea Party rallies, his experience at the 'Rally to Restore Sanity' and everything else that's going on in his busy career.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- American Idol Performance Recap: Filler Queen
- Arrow's Truths Come Out — Were You Surprised?
- S.H.I.E.L.D. First Look: Cobie Smulders' Agent Hill Finds an Ally, Amy Acker Guest-Stars
- Exclusive Community Season Finale Sneak Peek: Are Jeff and Britta Finally Saying 'I Do'?
- Exclusive: Banshee Promotes 2 to Series Regular
- More From TVLine
- 'Heaven is For Real': The Boy the Book is Based on Details Near Death Experience
- After Long Seperation, Will Arnett Files For Divorce From Amy Poehler
- FIRST LOOK: ET's 'Dream It … Do It' Helps Stars Take On Their Bucket Lists
- How Tori Spelling Found Out About Husband's Cheating
- Which of Your Favorite Celebs Has Died the Most On Screen?
- More From ET