July 29, 2014
john olivers new york standup show
John Oliver on Tea Party Rallies, His Comedy Central Stand-Up Series, and Being a Part of 'Community'
by Joel Keller, posted Mar 23rd 2011 3:00PM
When you have 20 minutes to talk to John Oliver, it's hard to figure out where to start. The British import has been taking maximum advantage of his opportunity here in the States, after 'The Daily Show' plucked him from the U.K. stand-up circuit five years ago to be a correspondent and writer.
Since then, he's become the MVP of 'TDS' with his hilarious field reports, studio bits and pretty much any other way they can think of using him. He's been particularly adept at filing stories from rallies, parades and other huge gatherings, bringing back absurd quotes from everyone from Tea Party members to St. Patrick's Day revelers.
He's also made a mark in the sitcom world, playing Ian Duncan, Greendale's most apathetic professor, on 'Community.' Finally, Oliver has still been doing his current-events-charged stand-up, some of which you'll see on the new season of 'John Oliver's New York Stand-Up Show,' which premieres Thursday night (Friday morning) at midnight ET. The series' second season will showcase unknown comedians as well as vets like Maria Bamford and Greg Behrendt.
I spoke to Oliver earlier this month about going to Tea Party rallies, his experience at the 'Rally to Restore Sanity' and everything else that's going on in his busy career.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'The Quest' Premiere Episode Photos
- The Final Rose: Josh and Andi's Fairytale Journey on 'The Bachelorette'
- 'The Bachelorette' Season 10 Finale Photos: The Final Rose
- 'The Bachelor' Season 19: Who Will Be the Next Bachelor?
- 'Once Upon a Time' Casts 'Frozen' Characters Prince Hans and Pabbie the Troll King
- More From BuddyTV
- The Originals' Claire Holt Joins NBC Drama Aquarius as Series Regular
- TV Land Cancels Kirstie Alley Sitcom Kirstie After One Season
- Will iZombie 'Out-Gore' Walking Dead? Is Veronica Mars Crossover Inevitable?
- More From TVLine