Two ABC News journalists were ambushed and killed in Iraq as they were headed home from the ABC News Baghdad bureau yesterday, ABC announced.
Thirty-three-year-old cameraman Alaa Uldeen Aziz, and 26-year-old soundman Saif Laith Yousuf were in their car when they were "reportedly ambushed and they were killed by unknown assailants" after being "stopped by two cars full of gunmen," ABC's web site reported. The network's Baghdad correspondent, Terry McCarthy said, "Today we've lost two family members, and it really hurts."
One hundred and four journalists have been killed while covering the Iraq War, according to the Committee to Protect Journalists. Notably, one of ABC's anchors, Bob Woodruff, sustained serious injuries while covering Iraq in January 2006.
You don't have to repeat those bitter journalists' mistakes. You can choose a path somewhere in between. I'm from Rolling Stone has started an online writing contest.
The series, which TV Squad reported on earlier this year, will make its debut on January 7th at 10PM for a ten-episode run. The six contestants were chosen from a pool of several thousand applicants. They spent this past summer fielding writing assignments from Rolling Stone's editors - including artist profiles, political coverage and event reviews. Some of the artists that turn up in the series include Ghostface Killah, We Are Scientists, The Roots and Band or Horses.
This may or may not be comforting news to all you Grey's Anatomy fans who had your hearts broken, as did Izzie, when Morgan died in the season finale. He also has recurring roles on Supernatural and Weeds.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'The Originals' Episode 2.12: Hayley Faces Difficult Decision
- 'Arrow' Episode 3.12 Photos: Malcolm Merlyn Joins the Team
- 'The Flash' Episode 12 Photos: Barry Gets a Girlfriend
- 'The Bachelor' Week 5 Photos: A Hot Air Balloon Date
- 'The Vampire Diaries' Episode 6.14 Photos: Stefan and Caroline Get Closer
- More From BuddyTV
- Jeffrey Dean Morgan Joins Extant Season 2 as Roguish Bounty Hunter
- Pilot News: Problem Child, Based on 1990 Film, Ordered by NBC
- HTGAWM Stars on 'Crazy' Season End: 'I'm Surprised These People Aren't Rocking Back & Forth in a Corner'
- New Girl's Zooey Deschanel Is Expecting — Will Jess Be, Too?
- MTV Movie Awards: Amy Schumer Scars Anna Kendrick in First Promo
- More From TVLine
- Viola Davis Teases Sexy Return of 'How to Get Away With Murder': 'Trust Me, It's Crazy!'
- Eva Mendes Is Too Tired from Her Baby to Read a Teleprompter
- Grammys Flashback '99: Internet Wows Backstreet
- EXCLUSIVE: 'PLL' Star Keegan Allen Shares Behind-the-Scenes Photos from the Set
- After Two Marriages, Sean Penn Says Charlize Theron Would Be First That Matters
- More From ET