Deadline reports that NBC beat out at least two other networks in a bidding war for the show, which is an ensemble comedy set at a karaoke bar.
The as-yet-unnamed project is being produced by 20th Century Fox TV and Chernin Entertainment. Levine and Jake Kasdan ('Bad Teacher') will serve as executive producers, with Kasdan also attached to direct.
So, will karaoke be 2012's big craze?
Don't Forget the Lyrics! is a karaoke-themed game show that is similar to one on NBC called The Singing Bee. Both premiered to decent ratings and fellow TV Squadder, Isabelle, prefers The Singing Bee over Fox's version. I only saw the premiere of Don't Forget the Lyrics! and I found it very entertaining, but that had to do with the entomologist contestant who knew all the words to the Jackson 5's A-B-C and wanted to buy a microscope with her winnings.
(S03E10) This week brought us a special 60-minute holiday episode of The Office, and as you just saw, a lot of things happened, and we're sure to see a number of new storylines take shape over the next few episodes.
Last year's holiday party episode was a classic, so it was with eager anticipation that I plopped myself down in front of the TV to see what would take place this year. Although it probably could have been cut down from 60 minutes to one of those NBC "super-sized" 40-minute episodes, this one was satisfying enough for me and for most viewers, I'm sure.
Video is after the jump:
While I never think it hurts a celebrity's image to make fun of him or herself through vehicles like Gervais' Extras, I can't say that I blame Cowell for sparing us. If more pop wannabes would follow his example, than they could use their fifteen minutes of fame elsewhere -- like on Mark Burnett's Pirates or by waving frantically behind local news reporters on camera.
The network is launching a series of karaoke contests in nine different markets. The winner from each market will be flown to Los Angeles where there will be a final showdown. At that final contest, cast members from How I Met Your Mother will help choose the winner. And that person will get a walk-on role on the show.
Cities, stations, and dates after the jump.
This sounds like a game for the pre-teen set at slumber parties or their very first boy-girl parties. I can see it now: an 11-year-old girl's night is ruined when Simon tells her she's the worst singer ever.
[Via TV Filter]
Anyway, it was a great way to spend a Friday night. On the couch, yelling out songs at the top of our lungs. Margaritas are optional.
I have five examples of American Idol contestants who wouldn't go away:
5. Constantine Maroulis. Yeah, I said it. Constantine thought he was sexy and talented. Not an attractive characteristic on a man who only has mediocre looks and talent. Constantine regularly sang out of tune and falsely advertised himself as a rocker. He was in Rent, for crying out loud! A musical! The dude was a poser and I wanted to slap that pout right off his face. I think we all know who the true rocker was last season. (P.S. More proof he's a poser: his new album is Adult Contemporary. Watch out, Clay!)
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'Pretty Little Liars' Episode 5.19 Photos: What's Going on With Mike?
- 'The Vampire Diaries' Episode 6.13 Photos: Bonnie's Birthday
- 'Glee' Episode 6.7 Photos: Will Teaches a Lesson About Tolerance
- 'The Blacklist' Post-Super Bowl Episode Photos: Will Liz and the Team Save Reddington in Time?
- 'Castle' Episode 7.14 Photos: The Return of 3XK
- More From BuddyTV
- Pilot News: NBC Orders Monica Potter Project, Jimmy Fallon Office Comedy
- Glee First Look: 'Wemma' Gets a Shock, Rachel and Sam Connect
- Sleepy Hollow Pics: Steven Weber as Thomas Jefferson, Witnesses Go Dark
- Vampire Diaries Photos: Steroline Sulks, Damon and Elena Hit the Floor
- Chicago P.D. Casts Shameless Vet as Halstead's Brother — and Med Doc
- More From TVLine
- Paula Abdul, Jason Derulo Feel at Home on 'So You Think You Can Dance'
- Joan Rivers' Daughter Files Lawsuit Against Clinic, Doctors Allegedly Involved in Her Mother's Surgery
- Was Miss Jamaica Robbed of the Miss Universe Title?
- Seahawks vs. Patriots: Which Side are the Celebrities On This Super Bowl?
- James Franco on Meeting Brad Pitt at Sundance: 'We Fell in Love'
- More From ET