Welcome back to "AI Aftermath," where we explore Idol's past. Each installment, as one more American Idol hopeful is eliminated from the competition, we take a look back at contestants past who were eliminated at the same point. We'll examine how they did on the show and what they've been up to since their eliminations. In honor of David Archuleta's elimination in the finale, we'll be looking at other second place finishers.
This week: 2nd place finishers, featuring featuring Justin Guarini (Season One), Clay Aiken (Season Two), Diana DeGarmo (Season Three), Bo Bice (Season Four), Katharine McPhee (Season Five) and Blake Lewis (Season Six).
But MJ's Big Blog has what you need. No more aimless driving around America shouting "Can anyone tell me where Gina Glocksen is performing tonight?" or "Has anyone seen Jessica Sierra, she still owes me bail money?" Now you can go to one place and plan your journey like the Deadheads before you. Now you can follow Ace Young as he travels around various Borders signing Chicken Soup for the American Idol Soul, and you can catch Diana DeGarmo at the Braves opener. Oh, and if you're in Atlanta at Kroger tonight, look up Melinda Doolittle, buy some ice cream and tell her I said "Hi."
As for the results, while the person who left wasn't necessarily the consensus choice, it was someone that I'm perfectly alright with seeing leave at this early stage. In fact, I could have lost the whole "Bottom Three" tonight and not lost any sleep over it.
For a woman of 45, Paula looks and moves great. Her vocals are about what they've always been, but nevertheless this has a great dance hook and should do very well in the club scene. Maybe this will be the beginning of a full-fledged comeback for her.
I'm trying to think back in my mental Rolodex to the season of American Idol that featured Katharine McPhee and Taylor Hicks. I know that Simon Cowell wasn't too big on Hicks, but didn't he at some point praise McPhee and her singing?
That seems to have been forgotten by Cowell. He tells ExtraTV.com that he "didn't care much for Katharine McPhee. I don't think she was a credible recording artist. Katharine will end up on Broadway!"
But with the help of 'American Idol,' Carrie, Jennifer Hudson and others were given the full Hollywood treatment, transforming their everyday looks into red carpet glam.
Click through our gallery to see the before and after shots of some of your favorite 'Idol' contestants.
The latest to be dropped is season five runner-up Katharine McPhee. She released an album in 2006 that has only sold about 365,000 copies, according to MTV news.
Some winners have found great success (hello, Kelly!), some have been dumped by their labels (so sorry, Ruben and Taylor), while some also-rans have gone on to bigger and better things.
We check in on 30 'AI' alums and fill you in on which ones are in trouble with the law, which are still giving it their best shot ... and which have fallen off the radar.
In just seven seasons, 'Idol' has had its fair share of juicy gossip items: nude photos; arrests; wrong numbers -- not to mention Corey Clark's alleged affair with Paula Abdul.
We've compiled a list of the biggest 'Idol' scandals ever. After the jump, click through our gallery to relive moments every 'Idol' wants you to forget.
It's a no-brainer really. Last year's American Idol charity-special, "Idol Gives Back," racked up killer ratings for FOX and raised $75 million for charities in the U.S. and Africa. And more importantly it brought in killer ratings for FOX (did I say that already)! Of course they're going to do it again this year, and now according to Variety, they've set the date for "Idol Gives Back 2008." April 9, 8/7c the two-hour star-studded extravaganza will once again bombard our retinas.
According to Entertainment Weekly, McPhee will "co-star" alongside funny girl Anna Faris, who plays a Playboy bunny who has been evicted from the mansion. Faris becomes a den mother to a super lame sorority, of which McPhee is a member. Rumer Willis also has a role. It will reportedly begin shooting late this summer.
Katharine has a background in acting-- according to her official bio, she studied at the Boston Conservatory and the California State Summer School for the Arts. She even had a role in an MTV pilot that never made air. What I'm trying to say is... the girl has been groomed for this kind of thing.
Today on TV Squad Daily:
- Skating with Celebrities star Kristy Swanson found her way back into the headlines by getting into a brawl with her skating-partner-turned-boyfriend's ex-wife.
- Katharine McPhee fans are jumping on the bandwagon of sending snacks to important people.
- It doesn't matter if Rosie is the new host or not. The Price is Right is now dead to me without Bob Barker.
Jericho fans, I blame this all on you. If you weren't so successful with your campaign to renew the series none of what is going on now would have happened. Instead, we have Mars bars being sent to the head of CW programming to renew Veronica Mars, online petitions being written to keep ABC's Traveler on the air, and now KitKat bars being sent to everyone connected with American Idol to have former runner-up Katharine McPhee come back to the show next season to perform.
See what you guys and gals have done?!
It seems that McPhee's fans, known as "McPhans", are a bit miffed that Katharine was not brought back for this past season's finale of AI even when she called and expressed her interest to program executives. So, these McPhans have started Project KitKat to express their anger. American Idol and FOX network execs who dissed Katharine will be sent KitKat bars along with a strongly-worded note expressing the fans' disappointment with the show.
Last August, producers announced that a contest would be held to select an original song for the sixth season finalists to perform. This contest would have given one very talented and lucky songwriter the chance to have his or her tune heard by millions of Idol's fans.
Now it looks like struggling songwriters are going to have to put their American Idol dreams on hold, at least for this year. It's too bad, really. I guess now we can expect the same old bland and generic first single from this season's Idol winner.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'Nashville' Finale: 7 Burning Questions for Season 2
- 'Hannibal': 21 Creepy Moments from 'Trou Normand'
- 'Nashville' Music Videos: Juliette's 'Nothing In This World' & Avery and Scarlett's 'Moon is High'
- Blake Shelton Organizes Benefit Concert for Oklahoma Tornado Victims
- 'The Glades' Season 4 Preview: The Proposal Cliffhanger, a Time Jump and Jim as a Step-Dad
- More From BuddyTV
- Jimmy Fallon's 'Game of Desks' names Seth Meyers the 'real true 'Late Night' heir'
- 'Teen Wolf' Season 3 spoilers: 8 things to know about Scott, Stiles, Derek and more Beacon Hills faves
- 'Law and Order: SVU' Season 15: Mariska Hargitay signs on to continue as Olivia Benson
- 'Arrested Development' Rewatch Season 3 finale - 'Development Arrested'
- 'Fresh Prince' reunion: Will Smith does theme song rap with Alfonso Ribeiro and DJ Jazzy Jeff
- More From Zap2it
- Performer of the Week: Tatiana Maslany
- Mariska Hargitay Returning for Law & Order: SVU Season 15 After Closing New Deal
- LOL Video: Will Smith, Alfonso Ribeiro Reunite for Fresh Prince Theme, Carlton's 'Unusual' Dance
- Video: Arrested Development Faves Reveal Everything (and Nothing) About the New Season
- Rookie Blue Sneak Peek: Andy Meets Sam's New Girlfriend, Gets Awkward With Her Ex
- More From TVLine