I don't know what to say about tonight's episode. It doesn't gel easily around a theme, unless "begging" is tonight's theme. And it doesn't leave a lasting impression in my mind. Still, the judges seemed pleased with the L.A. auditions and award an astounding 40 coveted golden tickets over two days. But I'm confused. If they found so much talent, why do we see so little of it? I'm not impressed by one performance tonight. Nothing blows me away. Is this really the best that L.A. has to offer?
McPhee's appearance will air February 1 (8:00 PM EST). Hmm... Sounds like ABC wants a little bit of FOX's American Idol glow. Also, McPhee is probably doing this to promote her self-titled debut album, which drops later this month.
McPhee will be riding the "Clean Water" float. Standing in a lush garden setting between a "giant leaping frog" and a working faucet dumping 400 gallons of water per minute, she'll spread McPheever through the streets of Pasadena. You know, I'm actually not all that bothered to find out when people are lip-syncing. The demands of television production sometimes require it. Would you blame Katharine for not wanting to sing live from atop of moving vehicle with a giant frog straddling her head? I should hope not.
In an interview with Entertainment Weekly, Katharine acknowledges that it would probably be a mistake for Wonder Woman to be her debut role, but she doesn't deny the possibility of it happening. Frankly, with Whedon at the helm, I think anything is possible. She also talks about her upcoming CD, the Idol tour, and the obsessive Idol fans.
As far as Wonder Woman goes though, can't we just give the gig to Charisma Carpenter and get on with it?
For a list of tour dates, check here.
By the way. Did anyone else know that Katharine, 22, has a boyfriend who's 41?
I was afraid this could happen. Just because Hicks
I still wonder what's going to happen to Katharine McPhee. Maybe her first album with contain 10 tracks, and the first 6 will all be "Somewhere Over The Rainbow."
I know it's a holiday and all, and American Idol is really popular, but come on. This is a little too much, even for the most hardcore Idol fan.
If there's anything good about the episode, it's that it confirms how annoying Randy Jackson and Paula Abdul (she makes a call into the show, and she's out of it over the phone too) are and how McPhee seems to be a Paula-in-training.
Oh man, I've been patiently twiddling my thumbs for the last 3 hours until the finale aired on the West Coast, so I could finally post this. Taylor Hicks is our new American Idol, and I couldn't be happier. Well, I could be (sigh...Chris). But if I can't have Chris, then I'm happy with the Silver Fox. (I hate that nickname by the way. It makes me feel like I've got a crush on an old man. What's the opposite of being a pedophile? Is there a word for that? 'Cause I might have it.) They really took it down to the last minute too. I was biting my nails at 1 hour and 59 minutes, worried that my TiVo was about to pop up with the dreaded "Erase Now? or Save?" quandary. I felt like I was Mr. Eko on Lost, watching that damn clock. But right at the final seconds, Ryan said Taylor's name. Yes! The crazy windmill-dancing bastard pulled it off! I understand why Taylor's dad was crying, but why was David Hasselhoff?
- At 8, FOX has the American Idol winner named on the two hour finale. Two hours??
- ABC has a repeat Lost at 8, then the season finale at 9.
- CBS has a Dr. Phil special at 8, then repeats of Criminal Minds and CSI: NY.
- The WB has the truly underrated Ben Affleck film Daredevil at 8, while UPN has the movie Hair Show.
- Also at 8: AMC has the original Poseidon Adventure.
- At 9, Larry King interviews Sen. John McCain on CNN.
- At 10, Bravo has the season finale of Top Chef.
- Also at 10: HBO has Will Ferrell in Kicking and Screaming.
This year, Katharine's song, My Destiny, was written by Harry Sommerdal, Hanne Sorvag and Tim Baxter. Taylor's song, Do I Make You Proud, was written by Tracy Ackerman and Absolute. You know those songwriters all tuned in to American Idol last night with their friends and family to see their songs debut, only to have them bashed by the judges in front of 30 million people. And, I'm sorry songwriters, but I agree with the judges. Those songs were corny.
My favorite thing about the Idol finale isn't the performances, but playing "Where's Waldo?" with the random B-list celebrities in attendance. My question is, why do some of them get their names closed captioned while others do not? And, who was the nitwit that mistakenly identified Tori Spelling as one of "Taylor's Family & Friends"?
I have to admit that I wasn't really excited about tonight...
Come one, come all; here is the super secret location for our American Idol Chat! Look for me (TVSRyan) in the chat room. See you inside.
Disclaimer: All or parts of the discussion in this chatroom may be posted in a later column on this site.
Let's get it on...
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- [Video] 'Dance Moms' Preview: Kalani's Mom Invites a New Dance Coach to the ALDC
- 'Scream' Review: Does MTV's New Slasher Series Live Up to the Movie Franchise?
- 'Zoo' Review: A New Summer Drama That Leaves Something to Be Desired
- 'RHONYC' Marks 100th Episode with Epic Meltdown
- Is Gretchen Rossi Returning to 'The Real Housewives of Orange County'
- More From BuddyTV
- Ratings: Whispers Slips to Season Lows
- Fall TV: NCIS vs. Stamos vs. Muppets, and Tuesday's Other DVR Dilemmas
- Outlander Casts Harry Potter Actress as Season 2's Mother Hildegarde
- Wayward Pines Video: Will Kate Help Ethan Defuse an Explosive Situation?
- Teen Wolf Premiere Recap: Senior Fear
- More From TVLine
- NSFW! Chrissy Teigen Goes Topless for 'W,' Fights With Instagram to Post It
- Caitlyn Jenner Steps Out In NYC Wearing Figure-Hugging Black Bandage Dress
- 13 Hollywood Hotties Who Should Bring Their Magic to the Next 'Magic Mike'
- Double Take! Kris Jenner Copies Justin Bieber's Style!
- Lori Loughlin Shows Off Amazing Abs at 50
- More From ET