Jon Stewart started the trouble by declaring Rock "a professional."
"Man, don't blow my street cred," Rock laughed. They talked about how easy it was to coordinate Rock's involvement in Stewart's recent rally, but then Stewart dug that knife a little deeper.
"He would call me and be like, 'Uh, you're gonna need to put this on a DX format with a 550,'" Stewart said. "You're not Kid Rock, you're Nerd Rock."
He respects the company and even has bought stock in it, but he won't make his music available in the iTunes store because "I just don't like being told what to do."
It's a sentiment he believes Steve Jobs applies to the way he's developed and built Apple. "I believe in the company," he said. "Steve Jobs runs it the way he wants. 'This is my company. I started it. I built it big. I run it the way I want. I do things who I want. If you don't like it, screw you.'"
Shania Twain played Louise to Swift's Thelma as the girls headed out on a cross-country crime spree so impressive Donald Trump wanted to harness their power to control the world.
The bit also featured some other fun guest appearances along the way, including Chord Overstreet and Kenny Rogers as a crusty old pervert.
The musician joins a storied group of former roastees that includes his ex-wife Pamela Anderson, Flavor Flav, Joan Rivers, Larry the Cable Guy and most recently, Donald Trump.
The event will be taped Aug. 14 at an as-yet-announced location. Kid Rock is currently touring with Cheryl Crow.
In other TV news ...
• Ryan Murphy has finally addressed the reason why 'Glee' is covering Rebecca Black's 'Friday.' (We know you were dying to know.) "The [glee club] is hired to perform songs for the prom and they were told by the principal to please do popular songs that the kids know. The show pays tribute to pop culture and, love it or hate it, that song is pop culture," he said. [THR]
• Fox may have found a way to get around 'Bones' star Emily Deschanel's pregnancy in the fall. The network could use potential 'Bones' spinoff 'The Finder' as a filler show while the new mom is out on maternity leave. [Deadline]
• 'CBS Early Show' executive producer David Friedman is out after 16 months. 'Morning Joe' exec producer Chris Licht will possibly take his place. [NY Times]
Rock did nothing of the sort, instead saying Bieber was "a nice enough kid" and that he'd heard Bieber "is kind of talented." He also shared an anecdote about a conversation he had with the 16-year-old when they met recently:
"I just met that kid at the American Music Awards, and he said 'Hey, Kid Rock what's up.' I was like 'Hey Justin Bieber, what's up buddy.' He said 'Man, I got your old tour bus,' and I was like 'Really, I hope you got it sanitized."
The goal was to share political views in an inoffensive manner. Moderation was the ideal; Stewart showed video clips of media figures (such as Mr. Beck) who supposedly used polarizing speech.
Since the event was hosted by comedians, the whole thing was a joke -- or was it? A bunch of celebs attended, including Ozzy Osbourne, Kid Rock, and Sheryl Crow. But Stewart stopped the music and jokes to deliver this message: "I thought we might have a moment ... for some sincerity. ... I can't control what people think this was. I can only tell you my intentions."
Anne Hathaway, Scarlett Johansson Get 'Saturday Night Live' Hosting Gigs, Trump Signs New NBC Deal and More
According to Entertainment Weekly, Johansson will host 'Saturday Night Live' with musical guest Arcade Fire on Nov. 13. Hathaway will host 'SNL' with musical guest Florence and the Machines on Nov. 20.
This will be Johansson's third hosting gig and Hathaway's second.
In other TV news ...
• Donald Trump isn't going anywhere. The mogul has signed a deal with NBC that will see his Trump Productions create scripted, reality, syndicated and animated content for NBC Universal. [Deadline Hollywood]
• VH1 has ordered a new reality show about Sunset Strip restaurant Saddle Ranch Chop. The series will follow the restaurant's waitstaff as they try and make it in Hollywood. The network has ordered eight-10 episodes of the series. [Hollywood Reporter]
• Kid Rock thinks 'American Idol' is the "stupidest thing" Steven Tyler has ever done. Kid Rock said Tyler threw out all his rocker cred by going on 'Idol.' [Entertainment Weekly]
Guest Kenan Thompson appeared on the award show, reprising his fairly racy impersonation of singer Reba that he first performed on 'SNL.' But then, while Kenan was busy acting like fake "Reba," the real Reba McEntire showed up.
Okay, maybe they're not all A-listers. But all of them are performing.
I'm not quite sure why this happened, but buxom actress/model/sex tape entrepreneur Pamela Anderson made a guest appearance in the Big Brother house on the Australian version of the show. TV Tonight has the rundown of the appearance and a bunch of pictures. Someone uploaded video of the show here. I like how the announcer introduces her as an author.
Doesn't Australia have any scantily-clad, silicone-enhanced actresses of their own that could have made an appearance?
They're calling this an "observational documentary series," but that's sort of like when they call a dishwasher a utensil sanitation engineer. This is a reality show. A reality show about breasts.
Pamela Anderson, who has large breasts, will star in a new reality series for E!, Pamela. That's the title they're going with now, though I would suggest A Silicone Life or how about Behind The Behind? The cable network says that the show will "capture Pam's fabulous adventures" and her "emotional journey." I think this means that we'll see her at the beach, going out to dinners, and what it's really like to be at a photo shoot for Maxim.
Pamela Anderson likes to have sex. That has been made clear the past several years. Now she's making a reality show all about it.
That's what it sounds like to me anyway. Anderson herself says that she and new hubby Rick Solomon don't really do anything except stay in and have sex, so the new reality show that the pair (I'm talking about Anderson and Solomon, not the other pair Anderson is famous for) will launch on E! next year will probably have a lot of that in it. Plus the fact that since Baywatch, Anderson is best known for her honeymoon sex tape with Tommy Lee and Solomon is most famous for...well, a sex tape made with Paris Hilton. US Magazine reports that a source says that "these two don't have any boundaries, which is perfect for reality stars."
Yeah, OK. I really don't know what to say anymore.
[via TV Tattle]
Today on TV Squad Daily:
- Don't worry, says NBC. Jay Leno will be out, Conan will be in, in 2009.
- The pending writer's strike could mean a surge in demand for reality tv. That is the only reason I can think of why they might be giving Coolio his own reality show.
- Kid Rock won't be charged for that "brawl" he was in at the VMA's.
- Ellen DeGeneres will be the first celebrity "briefcase babe" on Deal or No Deal.
- Court TV will change its name January 1st.
It used to be that a band would debut a new song either on a tape that they handed out to fans at a club or on a radio station. Now they're debuting on cable news shows.
REM will debut their new song "Until The Day Is Done" tonight at 10 on CNN's Anderson Cooper 360. This isn't the first time they've used Cooper's show to debut something. The "Bad Day" video was first seen on the show five years ago. Tonight the song will be used during scenes from the special Planet in Peril.
Let me be the 500th person to say this year's Video Music Awards sucked.
I know I'm not breaking any ground by calling attention to the lamest performance ever starring Britney Spears but there was a lot more wrong with this show than just one bad performance.
How about the multiple parties? How did that serve the show? All it seemed to do was give everyone an excuse to party before the show was over and add to the usual technical problems that the show always has.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- Best 'Scandal' Quotes from the Season 4 Winter Finale
- 'Castle' Episode 7.8 Photos: Esposito is Taken Hostage
- 'Sons of Anarchy' Episode 7.12 Photos: More Truths are Revealed
- 'Bones' Recap: Can Baby Seeley Heal The Jeffersonian?
- 'Arrow' Episode 3.8 Photos: The Flash Comes to Starling City
- More From BuddyTV
- William Shatner Treks to Haven: Get Exclusive Details on His 'Pivotal' Arc
- The Simpsons Sneak Peek: Will Forte Brings the Infamous King Toot to Life
- Parenthood Recap: Past Imperfect
- How to Get Away With Murder Winter Finale Recap: And the Killer Is...
- Scandal Winter Finale Recap: Gone Girl
- More From TVLine
- Ryan Gosling Gets Restraining Order Against Woman Who Says She's His 'Twin Flame'
- Thousands Petition to Cancel '19 Kids and Counting' Claiming 'LGBTQ Fear Mongering'
- Bill Cosby Gets Small Standing Ovation at Comedy Show in Bahamas
- Britney Spears, Gwyneth Paltrow Read 'Mean Tweets'
- Robin Williams' Son Speaks Out for First Time Since Dad's Death
- More From ET