kung fu panda
Yes, Labor Day has only just come and gone, but it's already Holiday Special Season in the world of TV. And this year we've got some goodies coming up in the shape of holiday specials from the makers of 'Shrek' and 'Kung Fu Panda.' And rumor has it that the 'Panda' special will even air in 3D!
According to The Hollywood Reporter, NBC has teamed up with DreamWorks Animation for the 30-minute, primetime holiday specials 'Scared Shrekless' and 'Kung Fu Panda Holiday Special.' The move continues a relationship between the companies that started with last year's specials, 'Monsters vs. Aliens: Mutant Pumpkins From Outer Space' and 'Merry Madagascar.'
Angela Bromstad, president of primetime entertainment at NBC and Universal Media Studios, said that "NBC is proud to team with DreamWorks Animation to broadcast such quality holiday programming that includes some of their many popular film characters. ... These animated specials will provide top-flight family entertainment for fans of all ages."
'Victorious' sounds a lot like 'High School Musical,' as its about a teen girl who goes to an elite arts school where everyone sings and dances; 'Kung Fu Panda' is based on the movie; 'Planet Sheen' has a character from 'Jimmy Neutron' stuck on another planet; 'T.U.F.F. Puppy' is about a group of superhero dogs; and 'Bubble Guppies' (which sounds like a medical problem) is an animated show for kids set in an underwater classroom.
The only show I might be interested in is 'House of Anubis,' since it's about a group of people who go around Europe looking for clues to a mystery and sounds a little like 'National Treasure' or 'The Da Vinci Code.' It's produced in Europe.
Also airing this week: Renee Zellweger's Oscar-winning performance and a surprise animation classic featuring the voices of Jack Black and Angelina Jolie.
See more of this week's must-see flicks after the jump.
Tom Cruise leads the way in Steven Spielberg's underrated sci-fi adventure flick 'Minority Report,' airing today on TV.
The film features a number of Spielberg's signature touches, including an out-of-this-world story to go along with the movie's A-level visual effects.
Also airing this week: A stunning debut performance by Whoopi Goldberg, along with a fun night at the museum with funnyman Ben Stiller.
See more of this week's flick picks after the jump.
He dragged me to the movie, and I was ready to write it off as horrible before it started because I didn't like the title. It was a little too goofy. But the movie was infectious in its joy. The expanded cast of characters leaves to a great deal of potential, and the panda Po himself is so ridiculous as a kung fu master you can't help but enjoy it. And now I can force him to stop watching the horrible Skunk Fu! to get his anthropomorphic martial arts fix.
Due out in May 2008, Kung Fu Panda is the story of Po, the panda. While he is a kung fu fanatic, his body doesn't exactly lend itself to martial arts. But then events transpire that call on Po to save the day. It's like Hero, with more fur and slapstick comedy... and pandas... starring Jack Black. How can they go wrong?
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'American Horror Story: Freak Show' Recap: Pepper Finds a New Home
- 'Survivor: San Juan del Sur' Season Finale Recap: A Fairytale Win for the 29th Survivor
- 'The 100' Mid-Season Finale Recap: Will Camp Jaha Give Finn Up?
- 'Hell's Kitchen' Season Finale Recap: And the Winning Chef Is...
- 'Glee' Season 6 Cast Photos
- More From BuddyTV
- American Horror Story: Freak Show Winter Finale Recap: Nun of a Kind
- The 100 Post Mortem: Star Eliza Taylor Defends 'Brilliant,' Heartbreaking Twist
- Survivor: San Juan del Sur Finale: Did the Right Contestant Win Season 29?
- Parenthood 100th Episode Photos Tease Big Reconciliation, Heartbreaking Tragedy
- Revenge Welcomes Suits' Gina Torres as a Shady Socialite in Season 4
- More From TVLine
- Stephen Collins Confesses to Katie Couric: 'I'm a Human Being With Flaws'
- Backstreet Boys Documentary Trailer Details the Boy Band's Career and 2013 Reunion
- Watch Tom Hiddleston Sing a Christmas Carol With a Puppy in His Lap
- 'Survivor: San Juan del Sur' Names Sole Survivor
- 'The 100' Boss Explains Mid-Season Finale's Heartbreaking Death
- More From ET