kung fu panda
Yes, Labor Day has only just come and gone, but it's already Holiday Special Season in the world of TV. And this year we've got some goodies coming up in the shape of holiday specials from the makers of 'Shrek' and 'Kung Fu Panda.' And rumor has it that the 'Panda' special will even air in 3D!
According to The Hollywood Reporter, NBC has teamed up with DreamWorks Animation for the 30-minute, primetime holiday specials 'Scared Shrekless' and 'Kung Fu Panda Holiday Special.' The move continues a relationship between the companies that started with last year's specials, 'Monsters vs. Aliens: Mutant Pumpkins From Outer Space' and 'Merry Madagascar.'
Angela Bromstad, president of primetime entertainment at NBC and Universal Media Studios, said that "NBC is proud to team with DreamWorks Animation to broadcast such quality holiday programming that includes some of their many popular film characters. ... These animated specials will provide top-flight family entertainment for fans of all ages."
'Victorious' sounds a lot like 'High School Musical,' as its about a teen girl who goes to an elite arts school where everyone sings and dances; 'Kung Fu Panda' is based on the movie; 'Planet Sheen' has a character from 'Jimmy Neutron' stuck on another planet; 'T.U.F.F. Puppy' is about a group of superhero dogs; and 'Bubble Guppies' (which sounds like a medical problem) is an animated show for kids set in an underwater classroom.
The only show I might be interested in is 'House of Anubis,' since it's about a group of people who go around Europe looking for clues to a mystery and sounds a little like 'National Treasure' or 'The Da Vinci Code.' It's produced in Europe.
Also airing this week: Renee Zellweger's Oscar-winning performance and a surprise animation classic featuring the voices of Jack Black and Angelina Jolie.
See more of this week's must-see flicks after the jump.
Tom Cruise leads the way in Steven Spielberg's underrated sci-fi adventure flick 'Minority Report,' airing today on TV.
The film features a number of Spielberg's signature touches, including an out-of-this-world story to go along with the movie's A-level visual effects.
Also airing this week: A stunning debut performance by Whoopi Goldberg, along with a fun night at the museum with funnyman Ben Stiller.
See more of this week's flick picks after the jump.
He dragged me to the movie, and I was ready to write it off as horrible before it started because I didn't like the title. It was a little too goofy. But the movie was infectious in its joy. The expanded cast of characters leaves to a great deal of potential, and the panda Po himself is so ridiculous as a kung fu master you can't help but enjoy it. And now I can force him to stop watching the horrible Skunk Fu! to get his anthropomorphic martial arts fix.
Due out in May 2008, Kung Fu Panda is the story of Po, the panda. While he is a kung fu fanatic, his body doesn't exactly lend itself to martial arts. But then events transpire that call on Po to save the day. It's like Hero, with more fur and slapstick comedy... and pandas... starring Jack Black. How can they go wrong?
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'NCIS' Episode 12.2 Photos: NFL Star Tony Gonzalez Guest Stars
- 'The Strain' Season 1 Episode Photos
- 'Big Brother 16' Spoilers: Who Won Part 2 of the Final HoH Competition?
- 'America's Next Top Model' Cycle 21 Epsode 6 Photos: The Art of the Hair Flip
- 'Big Brother 16' Clip Show Recap: The Final 3 Look Back at the Season
- More From BuddyTV
- Once Upon a Time Drafts Army Wives' Sally Pressman in Season 4
- TVLine's Performers of the Week (tie): Jenna Coleman and Tobias Menzies
- Summer TV's 26 Winners and Losers: True Blood, OITNB, Outlander and More
- NCIS Casts 24 Alum Marisol Nichols as a Blast from DiNozzo's Past
- The Blacklist Season 2 Trailer Teases Red Vs. Berlin Showdown
- More From TVLine
- Jennifer Lawrence Supports Chris Martin at iHeartRadio Music Festival
- Luke Bryan Makes a Dying Teenager's Wish Come True
- 'Madam Secretary' Review: A Solid Start for Téa Leoni's Political Drama
- Exclusive Clip: Did 'Angels' Save Woman from Plane Disaster?
- Fall TV Showdown: It's Time to Vote For Your Favorites in the Elite 8!
- More From ET