kung fu panda
Yes, Labor Day has only just come and gone, but it's already Holiday Special Season in the world of TV. And this year we've got some goodies coming up in the shape of holiday specials from the makers of 'Shrek' and 'Kung Fu Panda.' And rumor has it that the 'Panda' special will even air in 3D!
According to The Hollywood Reporter, NBC has teamed up with DreamWorks Animation for the 30-minute, primetime holiday specials 'Scared Shrekless' and 'Kung Fu Panda Holiday Special.' The move continues a relationship between the companies that started with last year's specials, 'Monsters vs. Aliens: Mutant Pumpkins From Outer Space' and 'Merry Madagascar.'
Angela Bromstad, president of primetime entertainment at NBC and Universal Media Studios, said that "NBC is proud to team with DreamWorks Animation to broadcast such quality holiday programming that includes some of their many popular film characters. ... These animated specials will provide top-flight family entertainment for fans of all ages."
'Victorious' sounds a lot like 'High School Musical,' as its about a teen girl who goes to an elite arts school where everyone sings and dances; 'Kung Fu Panda' is based on the movie; 'Planet Sheen' has a character from 'Jimmy Neutron' stuck on another planet; 'T.U.F.F. Puppy' is about a group of superhero dogs; and 'Bubble Guppies' (which sounds like a medical problem) is an animated show for kids set in an underwater classroom.
The only show I might be interested in is 'House of Anubis,' since it's about a group of people who go around Europe looking for clues to a mystery and sounds a little like 'National Treasure' or 'The Da Vinci Code.' It's produced in Europe.
Also airing this week: Renee Zellweger's Oscar-winning performance and a surprise animation classic featuring the voices of Jack Black and Angelina Jolie.
See more of this week's must-see flicks after the jump.
Tom Cruise leads the way in Steven Spielberg's underrated sci-fi adventure flick 'Minority Report,' airing today on TV.
The film features a number of Spielberg's signature touches, including an out-of-this-world story to go along with the movie's A-level visual effects.
Also airing this week: A stunning debut performance by Whoopi Goldberg, along with a fun night at the museum with funnyman Ben Stiller.
See more of this week's flick picks after the jump.
He dragged me to the movie, and I was ready to write it off as horrible before it started because I didn't like the title. It was a little too goofy. But the movie was infectious in its joy. The expanded cast of characters leaves to a great deal of potential, and the panda Po himself is so ridiculous as a kung fu master you can't help but enjoy it. And now I can force him to stop watching the horrible Skunk Fu! to get his anthropomorphic martial arts fix.
Due out in May 2008, Kung Fu Panda is the story of Po, the panda. While he is a kung fu fanatic, his body doesn't exactly lend itself to martial arts. But then events transpire that call on Po to save the day. It's like Hero, with more fur and slapstick comedy... and pandas... starring Jack Black. How can they go wrong?
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'Dancing with the Stars' Predictions: Who Will Be the Final 3?
- Report: Caroline Manzo Returning to 'RHONJ'
- 'The Good Wife' Mid-Season Finale Recap: Does Cary Take the Plea Deal?
- 'The Walking Dead' Recap: Rick Prepares to Make a Trade
- 'The Real Housewives of Atlanta' Recap: The Apollo-gy Aftermath
- More From BuddyTV
- Sleepy Hollow's Neil Jackson on Ichabod and Abraham's Face-Off & Loving (but Not Trusting) Katrina
- 2014 AMAs' Best & Worst Moments: 'Booty' Kicks, Pitbull Flops and More
- The Good Wife Recap: Deaf Justice
- It's Official: Katy Perry to Headline Super Bowl XLIX Halftime Show
- The Newsroom Recap: Too Big to Jail
- More From TVLine
- It's Official! Katy Perry Is the Super Bowl Halftime Performer
- Nicki Minaj Hints at 'Darker' New Album with 'The Pinkprint'
- Taylor Swift, Iggy Azalea and J. Lo! Girl Power Rules the AMAs
- Ariana Grande Stuns the AMAs with Stripped Down Performance
- American Music Awards 2014: The Complete Winners List
- More From ET