"There's a certain trial and error process with any creative endeavor," Gordon said in an interview with AOL TV on Wednesday. "It's really a math and business decision married to a creative decision. We could have kept going, but we felt we could learn from our mistakes."
Those mistakes, Gordon said, are not major; he said that the studio and network are "happy" with what they've seen so far. But 'Awake,' which stars Jason Isaacs as a cop whose son is dead in one reality and who finds himself a widower in the other, debuts at mid-season and thus has what Gordon called "the luxury of time." The temporary production halt means that Killen and Gordon can spend those weeks fine-tuning their approach well before the show debuts (probably in January, Gordon said).
Jason Isaacs is preparing to return to TV screens with the lead role in NBC's new drama pilot, 'REM.'
Isaacs was one of the hottest properties around this pilot season, and he was reportedly offered a half-dozen roles to pick from before plumping for 'REM.' It's described as an 'Inception'-style thriller, which centers on a cop (Isaacs) who wakes up after an accident to find he is living in two different realities.
The new drama is the latest creation from 'Lone Star' writer Kyle Killen, and will be exec-produced by former '24' showrunner Howard Gordon. In addition to starring, Isaacs will also serve as producer on the project.
Sonja Morgan Explains 'Real Housewives of NYC' Delay, 'Freaks & Geeks' Paley Guest List Revealed and More TV News
According to 'New York City' star Sonja Morgan, editors need more time to piece the series together.
"They want it to be the best possible season," Morgan told Star magazine. "To do that, they need some more time to edit. We've filmed like crazy, more than ever, and we're seven ladies so they have a lot of footage to go through."
Many insiders -- including us -- speculate the season wasn't shaping up to be very dramatic without Bethenny Frankel. Her new series, 'Bethenny Ever After,' debuts later this month.
For more on 'The Real Housewives of Miami' head on over here to meet the cast and watch a preview.
In other TV news ...
• The big names are coming together for the PaleyFest event honoring 'Freaks and Geeks' and 'Undeclared.' From 'Freaks & Geeks': Judd Apatow, Seth Rogen, Jason Segel, Linda Cardellini, Samm Levine, Busy Phillips, John Francis Daley, Martin Starr, Paul Feig and Joe Flaherty will appear. Yep, there's no James Franco on that list. Check out the 'Undeclared' list at the source. [Entertainment Weekly]
• Clearasil is sticking with 'Skins.' Despite pressure from the Parents Television Council, the acne cream will not pull its ads from the MTV show. A spokesperson for the company said, "Clearasil buys advertising time in blocks and the networks slot our ads wherever they have free time," and that they do not endorse any one program. [Hollywood Reporter]
• Jesse McCartney will star in Fox's 'Locke and Key.' McCartney will play Tyler, the oldest son of Miranda Otto's character, Nina. [Deadline Hollywood]
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- FX Orders Pariah Pilot From It's Always Sunny Scribes, Starring Comic Bill Burr
- TVLine Items: The 100's First Bloody Minutes, GH Vet Returns and More
- Castle Mystery Man Drops (Just a Few) Clues About Rick's Vanishing
- Showtime Sets Return Dates for Shameless, Episodes and House of Lies
- Ratings: Selfie and Love Story Gets Few Likes, S.H.I.E.L.D. Hits Low, Mindy Rises
- More From TVLine
- 'Little People Big World' Jeremy and Audrey Roloff Honeymoon
- EXCLUSIVE: Preview Jason Aldean's 'Old Boots, New Dirt' Bonus Track 'Too Much You For Me'
- Alyssa Milano Not Returning to 'Mistresses' Season 3
- Gilmore Girls is Coming to Netflix—Why You Should Binge-Watch This Show Immediately!
- Did Lady Gaga and Taylor Kinney Get Secretly Married? See the Ring!
- More From ET