"Do you guys feel like you ganged up on Simon's contestants specifically because you wanted to win this competition?" Jimmy Kimmel asked the other three judges on 'Jimmy Kimmel Live' (Weeknights, 12AM ET on ABC). All of them, of course, vehemently denied it.
L.A. Reid, who's mentoring the Boys category, brought in Rihanna to help him make the tough decision of which four boys to send home. But he made the challenge even harder for Phillip Lomax by tasking him to sing a Rihanna song in front of the woman herself.
"You've got to find somebody and you've gotta show how you can turn them into a real winner in the real world. Not within a competition, 'cuz someone's always going to win a show, somebody you can say ... we helped make this person into a star," he explained.
But as much as Cowell might wish it weren't so, it's about the contestants they manage to find. And while Chris Rene, who was 70 days sober and trying to turn his life around, blew everyone away with a heartfelt original performance, it was another contestant who perhaps best personified what makes 'The X Factor' different.
Already a smash hit in the UK (where episodes have been known to capture over 60 percent of the country's audience in a single airing) and across the world, Cowell's answer to 'Idol' is certainly competing with its predecessor in terms of buzz right out of the gate, thanks in no small part to the promised reunion of Cowell and his former 'AI' sparring partner, Paula Abdul.
Following a preview of the first two episodes, AOL TV caught up with the two 'Idol' alums, plus fellow judge Nicole Scherzinger and charming 'X Factor' host Steve Jones, to get their take on auditioning in front of a live audience, the rivalries already forming between the judges and whether or not 'The Voice' stole their thunder.
Today, Cowell and Fox confirmed Cole's place on the judging panel for his new show, alongside record mogul L.A. Reid and a yet-to-be-named fourth person (most likely Cowell's former 'Idol' compatriot Paula Abdul). So, who exactly is Cole anyway?
The 27-year-old British singer is a reality talent competition veteran herself, having been selected as a member of the girl group Girls Aloud via the TV show 'Popstars The Rivals' in 2002. The band has released five albums and sold more than 10 million records and has had 20 top 10 singles.
Last month, L.A. Reid surprised his staff and the industry as a whole when he announced his departure as chairman of Island Def Jam Records to secure a judging gig for the U.S. edition of Simon Cowell's reality singing competition 'The X Factor,' which is scheduled to premiere in September.
While he won't be working on forthcoming albums from Rihanna and Kanye West any longer, Reid will take his knack for handpicking luminaries and showcase it in front of millions on network television. Contestants on the show will surely demonstrate resolve and vigor in an effort to win him over, but he's looking for "crazy" as well.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- The 3 Biggest Differences Between 'True Detective' Season 1 and Season 2
- 'Big Brother 17' Spoilers: Where Does Everyone Stand in Week 2?
- The Funniest Quotes from 'Big Brother 17' Week 1
- 'Big Brother 17' Spoilers: Who Won the Week 2 Power of Veto?
- 'Big Brother 17': Why The Twin Twist Has Been Terribly Disappointing
- More From BuddyTV
- Performer of the Week: Missy Peregrym
- Chicago Fire Season 4: Casey Has Gone Missing! — What Happens Next?
- A.D. The Bible Continues Cancelled
- Is Detective Truly a Snooze? Is UnReal Couple 'Shippable? LOLcats on Zoo? Dreadful Heartbreak? And More TV Qs
- Ratings: Hannibal, Rookie, Beast Steady on Soft Holiday Eve; Dome Drops
- More From TVLine
- Miley Cyrus Doubles Down on Patriotic Gear for the Fourth of July -- See the Pics!
- Stars Are Seeing Red, White & Blue While Celebrating the Fourth of July
- Arnold Schwarzenegger Writes Heartwarming Handwritten Letter to Ailing Fan
- Kelly Rutherford Reunites With Her Children in New York City
- One Direction's Liam Payne Gets Gets Up Close and Personal with Dinos at Universal Orlando
- More From ET