"Do you guys feel like you ganged up on Simon's contestants specifically because you wanted to win this competition?" Jimmy Kimmel asked the other three judges on 'Jimmy Kimmel Live' (Weeknights, 12AM ET on ABC). All of them, of course, vehemently denied it.
L.A. Reid, who's mentoring the Boys category, brought in Rihanna to help him make the tough decision of which four boys to send home. But he made the challenge even harder for Phillip Lomax by tasking him to sing a Rihanna song in front of the woman herself.
"You've got to find somebody and you've gotta show how you can turn them into a real winner in the real world. Not within a competition, 'cuz someone's always going to win a show, somebody you can say ... we helped make this person into a star," he explained.
But as much as Cowell might wish it weren't so, it's about the contestants they manage to find. And while Chris Rene, who was 70 days sober and trying to turn his life around, blew everyone away with a heartfelt original performance, it was another contestant who perhaps best personified what makes 'The X Factor' different.
Already a smash hit in the UK (where episodes have been known to capture over 60 percent of the country's audience in a single airing) and across the world, Cowell's answer to 'Idol' is certainly competing with its predecessor in terms of buzz right out of the gate, thanks in no small part to the promised reunion of Cowell and his former 'AI' sparring partner, Paula Abdul.
Following a preview of the first two episodes, AOL TV caught up with the two 'Idol' alums, plus fellow judge Nicole Scherzinger and charming 'X Factor' host Steve Jones, to get their take on auditioning in front of a live audience, the rivalries already forming between the judges and whether or not 'The Voice' stole their thunder.
Today, Cowell and Fox confirmed Cole's place on the judging panel for his new show, alongside record mogul L.A. Reid and a yet-to-be-named fourth person (most likely Cowell's former 'Idol' compatriot Paula Abdul). So, who exactly is Cole anyway?
The 27-year-old British singer is a reality talent competition veteran herself, having been selected as a member of the girl group Girls Aloud via the TV show 'Popstars The Rivals' in 2002. The band has released five albums and sold more than 10 million records and has had 20 top 10 singles.
Last month, L.A. Reid surprised his staff and the industry as a whole when he announced his departure as chairman of Island Def Jam Records to secure a judging gig for the U.S. edition of Simon Cowell's reality singing competition 'The X Factor,' which is scheduled to premiere in September.
While he won't be working on forthcoming albums from Rihanna and Kanye West any longer, Reid will take his knack for handpicking luminaries and showcase it in front of millions on network television. Contestants on the show will surely demonstrate resolve and vigor in an effort to win him over, but he's looking for "crazy" as well.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'Teen Wolf': 17 Freaky Moments from 'Required Reading'
- 'Teen Wolf' Interview: Dylan Sprayberry Talks More Comedy for Liam in Season 5
- 'RHONYC' Star Ramona Singer on Cheating Husband: He's 'Dead' to Me
- 'Teen Wolf' Recap: The Pack Takes a Trip Down Memory Lane
- 'The Bachelorette: After the Final Rose' Recap: A Happy Couple and a Broken Heart
- More From BuddyTV
- Lost Alum Terry O'Quinn Joins ABC's Secrets and Lies for Season 2
- Fuller House: Olsen Twins 'Teetering' on Deal to Join Netflix Revival
- Ratings: The Bachelorette Surges vs. Previous Season Finale
- Longmire: Netflix Sets Season 4 Release Date, Solves Time Jump Mystery
- Aziz Ansari's Netflix Comedy Series Gets Release Date, Masterful Title
- More From TVLine
- Liam Neeson's Shocking Weight Loss Leaves Him Nearly Unrecognizable in NYC
- EXCLUSIVE: Nick Gordon Wearing Bobbi Kristina Brown's Engagement Ring After Her Death
- EXCLUSIVE: You Have to Watch This Hilarious Country-fied Pop Medley From Home Free
- Star Sightings July 2015
- Is Taylor Swift a Mean Girl? Grizzly Bear Frontman Slams Her on Twitter
- More From ET