We caught up with Lauren 'Lo' Bosworth -- who made her reality show start as a teen on MTV's 'Laguna Beach' and later followed BFF Lauren Conrad to 'The Hills' -- last night before her flight from L.A. to New York to give us a sneak peek at what's ahead for the show and its stars. (Um, is Justin Bobby out of the picture yet, or what?)
That's how MTV's been promoting the new season of 'The Hills,' which premieres tonight. "The bitch" refers to Kristin Cavallari, formerly of 'Laguna Beach,' who is replacing Lauren Conrad as the reality series' lead character.
'Laguna' fans will remember Kristin as the vixenish foil who "stole" good girl Lauren's boyfriend, Stephen Colletti. But Cavallari begs to differ, saying she cried about her portrayal when that show premiered ...
No, reality television's favorite couple of prats, Heidi Montag and Spencer Pratt remain. You know, that could explain why everybody else is running from The Hills. The producers are hoping an injection of Kristin Cavallari, formerly of Laguna Beach will help. Personally, I'd be thrilled with the addition of some of the fine folks from the MMA to kick Speidi's ass. I'd watch that week after week.
Don't worry about Patridge, though. She says she's leaving The Hills to focus on that acting career she went to LA for. Which means starring in another reality show for MTV, apparently. The Audrina Show, produced by Survivor's Mark Burnett, will hit the airwaves 2010. Can somebody tell me what Burnett is doing attached to this project?
With LC departing the show after this season, Cavallari will step in to take center stage. Look for her first appearance in this season's May 31 finale. She'll be the one catching Heidi's wedding bouquet.
In other news, Courteney Cox's 'Cougar Town' and other pilots are likely to get some good news, and the CW's 'Reaper' may not be dead after all.
See more of today's TV headlines, casting scoops and premiere dates after the jump.
Today on TV Squad Daily, icy April showers have me in sort of a whiny mood. Things I don't like:
- Ryan Seacrest is the host of a competition, should he really be announcing his favorite American Idol contestant?
- Jason Wahler of MTV's Laguna Beach and The Hills was arrested (again) this weekend.
- A paid audience extra is suing Deal or No Deal after she biffed it down their stairs.
Now, please allow me to frolic about in my own fantasy world, in which I create my idea of MTV's perfect programming schedule. There are only five -- FIVE -- MTV shows that I would keep. That's right. Everything else should be full-on music videos. In my own MTV, there will be no Laguna Beach, no Pimp My Ride, and certainly no Yo Momma (how did they manage to pitch that?!)
On top of his two months in jail, pretty boy will also have to attend a one-day program at the Museum of Intolerance. The judge was probably pretty strict with the guy because he was recently arrested in North Carolina for underage drinking and resisting arrest.
Sounds like a great role model for the impressionable MTV crowd.
"The Daily Show's Laguna Beach: The Real, Real Orange County": This was a nice way to wrap up Jason Jones' two part report. It really was beautifully done, perfectly copying Laguna Beach's style. For example, the inclusion of the bonfire at the end was great. Nice job, Jones, you made me laugh for once. I had a good chuckle when he said that reality was just like the show, "without school, fat people, poverty, rain, or herpes". It's true.
Senior Media Critic John Oliver stopped by to elaborate. I liked the list of fourteen things that Cheney's willing to talk about (well, what we heard of it, anyway). Political Activist Chrissy Gephardt (!) also chatted with Jon about the issue. Good sport.
I'm not sure if I'm a fan of these "What's In and What's Out" lists that seem to pop up every December or January. They seem to embrace trends instead of just quality. But I like Hank Steuver's writing and lists like this are a good conversation starter as the new year begins.
That doesn't mean I agree with him on everything. I mean, David Sedaris is "out" while John Hodgman is "in?" That's ridiculous (though I like Hodgman too). And Dancing with the Stars will never be "in" with me. But I love that he picks America's Next Model as being "out" and Ugly Betty being "in." Ditto his picks for Laguna Beach being "out" (Meerkat Manor is "in") and Dane Cook being "out" (thumbs up to Jim Gaffigan!).
What do you think is in and out, TV-wise? I'm sure they'll be a lot of opinions on Steuver picking Battlestar Galactica as being "out" and Heroes as being "in."
Ellen Pompeo, who plays Meredith Grey on Grey's Anatomy, recently got engaged! Her boyfriend, record producer Chris Ivery, proposed to her after breakfast on her 37th birthday last Friday. Now she's sporting a 3.5 carat emerald-cut diamond ring from Tacori. Pompeo said they haven't set a date and, when they do, they won't be telling anyone.
Julie Bowen, who has roles on Boston Legal and Lost, is four months pregnant with her first child. Bowen has been married to real estate investor Scott Phillips since 2004. Bowen has enlisted fashion assistance from Project Runway finalist Laura Bennett, who is also prego.
And, for you fans of the original Laguna Beach, Lauren "LC" and Brody have split up. Brody used to date LC's nemesis, Kristin Cavallari from Laguna. Brody was recently linked with Nicole Richie, but when they split, he turned to Lauren, who now stars in MTV's The Hills.
Some Laguna High parents are blaming the show for increasing drug use among fifth graders and for attracting sexual predators to the area. Voice of reason Captain Danell Adams of the police department called the notion of more sexual predators coming to the area because of MTV a "crock." "MySpace is much more of problem than MTV."
Laguna Beach: Summer Can't Last Forever comes out November 7th, or you can pay $9.99 to download it at URGE right now. The tracks are listed after the jump:
[Via TV Tattle]
- On the cover: a new season of House is about to start.
- Emmy host Conan O'Brien answers some stupid questions.
- A Q and A with Ricky Gervais about his new podcasts, Extras, and the American version of The Office.
- An interview with the latest designer kicked off Project Runway.
- Another reality show interview: the winner of So You Think You Can Dance.
- Also: in the print edition, you'll find photos and interviews of the new Laguna Beach cast and Wentworth Miller of Prison Break.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- Chicago Fire Season 4: Casey Has Gone Missing! — What Happens Next?
- A.D. The Bible Continues Cancelled
- Is Detective Truly a Snooze? Is UnReal Couple 'Shippable? LOLcats on Zoo? Dreadful Heartbreak? And More TV Qs
- Ratings: Hannibal, Rookie, Beast Steady on Soft Holiday Eve; Dome Drops
- Fireworks! 25 Explosive TV Moments, Including Thrones Death, Once's Dark Hero, an Inhuman Twist and More
- More From TVLine
- Taylor Swift Gets a Piggy Back Ride From Boyfriend Calvin Harris -- See the Adorable Pic!
- What's the Secret Behind Taylor Swift's Unstoppable Power?
- Jennifer Hudson Readies for Her Broadway Debut in ‘The Color Purple'
- Glory Johnson Announces She's Pregnant With Twins, Ex Brittney Griner Remains Mum
- Photos of Bobbi Kristina Brown in Hospice Care Selling for $100,000
- More From ET