Alternately, you can just ask the husband and wife team of Gary and Julie Auerbach, creators of MTV's hit "reality" series Laguna Beach. According to Variety (registration required to see the entire article), they have signed a deal with CBS Paramount Networks to develop scripted comedies and dramas for the company. Apparently the company's president and vice president are big fans of Laguna, and like the fact that the reality series is being presented with the narrative arcs usually seen in scripted shows. They want a little of the reality element brought to scripted shows, and they feel the Auerbachs are the best people to do that.
My theory as to why they got the deal? See the first paragraph. Boobs. Gossip. Sand. Beach. It doesn't take a programming genius to see the money making potential here.
- Beautiful People - First Season
- The Brak Show - Volume 2
- Farscape - Starburst Edition, Volume 11 (4.2)
- The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air - Fourth Season
- Grounded For Life - Season Three
- Laguna Beach: The Real Orange County - Second Season
- Prison Break - Season One
- Sealab 2021 - Season Four
- The Wire - Season Three
The Hills premieres tonight on MTV at 10 pm ET.
(S03E24) Prom is over and enter the aftermath. But surprise, surprise...Volchok? Not dead. Thank God. Don't get me wrong, I don't particularly care if the guy lives or dies, but it would have just been bizarro times infinity if another one of Marissa's love interests ended up in the morgue. She does seem to like them on the brink of death.
But nope, Ryan rushes (not really, more like leisurely drives) Volchok to the hospital during a trippy, light-filled montage, and Volchok awakes without even seeing a doctor. Volchok (ever the good guy) doesn't sell Ryan out and claims he was jumped by a group of thugs. But it turns out that Volchok is not "ever the good guy."
(S03E20) It's college acceptance (or rejection) day in Orange County. I just love how via the magic of television everybody finds out on the exact same day if they got into college or not. I also love that none of the characters oo the show applied to any safety schools. You would think that a guidance counselor would advise them to apply to at least two schools, but whatever, everybody got into the school of their dreams...minus poor Seth.
For the record, I don't think Volchok is that gross. In fact, he's a pretty good looking guy. I don't think he deserves the "ew" that Summer gives him. (But she does pass out the ew's pretty easily.) I'm not so crazy about his drug problem, but I can understand why Marissa finds him attractive. He's got that motorcycle and no discernible responsibilities. Plus, he looks like he could be good in bed. He seems like he'd be a very attentive lover. And, it appears that is what poor Marissa is looking for....attention.
The premise of the show is that Kristin and her television-friendly co-host help friends and/or family plan and execute a surprise party for a very deserving person. It must be as boring as it sounds.
Yes, that is a wiseass headline. I mean, is there anyone out there who really thinks that what they are seeing on all these network reality shows are the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth, exactly how it happens?
James Poniewozik over at Time investigates some of the behind the scenes goings on at some reality shows, including Laguna Beach, where they allegedly made up a love triangle that didn't even exist; The Dating Experiment (an ABC show in the works) that took out the name of a celeb in a girl's quote to make it seem like she liked a male contestant, who she really hated; and Paris Line being told what to say on The Simple Life. This comes on the heels of Richard Hatch telling the judge at his trial last week that people cheated on Survivor and producers covered it up. Plus let's not forget the controversies from Joe Millionaire (editing that made it seem that Ethan and one of the girls were doing something in the woods), Blind Date, and other shows.
I, for one, am SHOCKED. Shocked I tell you!
[via TV Tattle]
1. My Name is Earl: I didn't think this was going to be any good when I first saw the commercials because it looked like another stupid sitcom about -- whoo-hoo -- rednecks. Jason Lee's a cool cat, though, so I tuned in for one episode... Boy, am I glad I saw it! Although Lee doesn't disappoint, Jaime Pressly's performance is absolutely hysterical and often steals the show. Definitely one of my favorite programs of the year.
2. The Daily Show: I've loved it. Sill love it.
3. The Colbert Report: I was a little worried about this show in the beginning, but quickly grew to love it. Stephen Colbert's got a good thing going on right now and I'm definitely looking forward to more.
4. Lost: I love it when a show/film has a strong ensemble cast. That plus deep, conflicted backstory and tremendous writing is must-see TV for me.
5. Project Runway: Okay, they're only a few episodes in, but Project Runway never fails to deliver. Classiest reality show, hands-down.
[Via The Futon Critic]
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'Aquarius' Official Cast and Premiere Photos
- 'MasterChef': Surprise! Your Kitchen Comes Back to Haunt You
- 'Orphan Black' Episode 3.7 Photos: Will Alison Win the Election for School Trustee?
- Summer 2015's Sexiest Stars: TV's Hottest Women
- 5 Juicy Tidbits Andy Cohen Wants You to Know About 'The Real Housewives'
- More From BuddyTV
- CBS' Briefcase Premiere: Did We Just See the Only 'Acceptable' Outcome?
- Smash's Broadway Event Expands! Who's Joining Ellis (!) in Bombshell?
- Golan the Insatiable Sneak Peek: Rob Riggle, Aubrey Plaza Preview Their Twisted Monster-Child Friendship
- Denise Richards Going Full Cougar for New CW Comedy Significant Mother
- Longmire Season 4: Ally Walker Lands Mystery Role, as Series Heads to Netflix
- More From TVLine
- Chris Pratt Recites the Pledge of Allegiance With His Son and It's the Best Thing You'll See All Day!
- The Studs of Summer: Hollywood's Hottest Hunks and Their Big Blockbusters
- Kylie Jenner Slams Pregnancy Rumors (Again)
- Chris Pine Might Play Wonder Woman's Love Interest and Here's Why We're Excited!
- Miley Cyrus 'Accidentally' Flashes a Nipple on Instagram
- More From ET