larry the cable guy
Soon, Larry the Cable Guy will be as synonymous with Christmas as Frosty and Rudolph.
Okay, perhaps not, but the redneck comedian is hosting a Christmas special on VH1 this year. Mr. Cable Guy will co-executive produce the musical/comedy special, a twisted take on the old Andy Williams Christmas specials. In fact, one of the musical guests they hope to get is Andy Williams himself. Hint: check Branson, MO.
I'll admit I've never been a fan of Larry the Cable Guy, though I certainly don't fault anyone who can find success with whatever brand of comedy they choose. Still, a Larry the Cable Guy Christmas special with guests like Andy Williams and Tony Orlando makes me wonder exactly what the demographic VH1 is going for these days. Whatever it is, I'm not it.
The special will most likely air sometime in early December. It tapes in Las Vegas this August.
- Charlie Rose: TBA
- The Late Show With David Letterman: Tobey Maguire, John Byner, and Modest Mouse (repeat)
- Jay Leno: Jack Black, Sanjaya, and OK Go (repeat)
- Tavis Smiley: Right To Return, Part 5
- Jimmy Kimmel Live: Sarah Silverman, Jerry Ferrara, and Avril Lavigne (repeat)
- Late Night With Conan O'Brien: Adam Sandler, Sarah Thyre, and Lindsey Buckingham (repeat)
- The Late, Late Show With Craig Ferguson: Larry The Cable Guy, Maureen McCormick, and Montgomery Gentry (repeat)
- Last Call With Carson Daly: Piper Perabo and Unwritten Law (repeat)
Here's the rundown on what Comedy Central has in store for this summer:
Returning series include Mind of Mencia (new season starts July 8 at 10:00 p.m.), and a new Comedy Central Roast premiering sometime in August, though we don't know who'll be roasted just yet.
Now on to the new stuff:
In June look for new stand-up specials from Larry the Cable Guy (Larry the Cable Guy: Morning Constitutions on June 3 at 8:00 p.m.), Brian Reagan (June 10 at 10:00 p.m.) and Daniel Tosh (Daniel Tosh: Completely Serious on June 17 at 10:00 p.m.).
I think I probably came into this one with my expectations set a little high. Those previews that revealed the family packing up and taking a trip put the thought in the back of my mind that this could be one of those classic episodes. It called to mind the season three episode "To Love and Die in Dixie." Unfortunately, now having seen it, it wasn't a classic.
Anyone who watched the report probably noticed that Dan Whitney, who created the Larry persona a number of years ago with the help of Blue Collar Comedy producer J.P. Williams, didn't quite have the same severe southern accent that he does on stage. Makes sense; Larry's a character and the interview was with Dan, not Larry. But in his pre-Larry days, Whitney didn't have an accent at all. How do I know this? Because of clips like the one after the jump, that shows what Whitney's stand-up routine was like before Larry came into his life.
According to The Hollywood Reporter, Comedy Central has picked up an animated pilot that Larry co-created and co-wrote with Joel Cohen and Alec Sokolow. He will provide the voice of the main character, the co-owner of a cable station that has a lot of wacky programming ideas. In true cliched sitcom fashion, the other owner is a classy woman who completely disagrees with the programming choices Larry's character makes.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 10 Unforgettable Moments from 'The Amazing Race' Season 25
- Steroline: 9 Pivotal Moments of Stefan and Caroline's Relationship on 'The Vampire Diaries'
- 'Revenge' Episode 4.11 Photos: Will Grief Unite Emily and Victoria?
- 'Project Runway: All Stars' Season 4: Ranking the Looks of ?Mix and Match.com?
- Proof That Dunder Mifflin Had the Worst Office Christmas Parties Ever
- More From BuddyTV
- David Schwimmer Joins FX's OJ-Themed American Crime Story as Robert Kardashian
- Once Upon a Time Casts Ernie Hudson as Ursula's Father Poseidon in Season 4
- Sarah Jessica Parker Eyes HBO Comeback in Divorce Comedy
- Hannibal Recast Shocker: Michael Pitt Out, Joe Anderson In as Mason Verger
- Revenge Winter Premiere Photos: Emily and Victoria Clash Over Daniel's Death
- More From TVLine
- 7 Murderous Holiday Horror Flicks to Enjoy This Christmas
- This Guy Captured the Exact Moment He Proposed to His Girlfriend in a Photo Booth
- Flashback: Mark Wahlberg Chats About His '92 Sex Symbol Status
- Relive Ariana Grande's Most Adorably Awkward Moments of 2014!
- Rob Lowe Tackles an Issue That Will Touch Your Heart
- More From ET