legend of the seeker
Overseas sales of the show aren't strong, either -- a surprising fact, considering that a lot of syndicated action shows do better overseas than they do in the United States.
'Seeker' was having a tough time pulling in decent numbers for local stations associated with its distributor, Tribune Stations Group. Apparently, not even a steamy girl-on-girl kiss between 'Buffy' alum Charisma Carpenter and hottie Tabrett Bethell could generate enough interest to keep the show alive. A number of Tribune stations dropped 'Seeker' last month, and the networks have shown no interest in picking it up, leading to its cancellation.
Now is not a great time for action-oriented cult TV shows. With 'Seeker' on the chopping block and last year's cancellation of 'Stargate Atlantis,' it seems like the tube is being scrubbed clean of light, fun, geek-friendly series. It's definitely not the '90s anymore, when shows like Raimi and Robert Tapert's 'Hercules' and 'Xena' could go for six seasons. Let's hope one of the better action-packed shows to debut this year, Fox's 'Human Target,' can beat the current trend.
- Syfy has a Legend of the Seeker marathon all night.
- At 8, ABC has a new FlashForward, followed by new episodes of Grey's Anatomy and Private Practice.
- CBS has a new Survivor at 8, then new episodes of CSI and The Mentalist.
- NBC has new episodes of Community, Parks and Recreation, The Office, 30 Rock, and The Jay Leno Show.
- FOX has a new Bones at 8, then a new Fringe.
- The CW has a new Vampire Diaries at 8, followed by new episodes of Supernatural.
- TCM has Fourteen Hours at 9, then High Noon.
- At 9, Comedy Central has a new Jeff Dunham Show.
- TLC has a new American Chopper at 9.
- Bravo has a new Real Housewives of Atlanta at 9, then a new Real Housewives of Orange County.
- Cartoon Network has a new Total Drama Action at 9.
- Also at 9: Food Network has a new Extreme Cuisine with Jeff Corwin.
- At 10, Lifetime has a new Project Runway.
- FX has a new It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia at 10.
- There's a new Tosh.0 on Comedy Central at 10.
Check your local TV listings for more.
After the jump, the late night talk shows.
I've been hearing about this little show called Legend of the Seeker since it debuted last year. Season one was just released on DVD, so I checked it out for Jane After Dark this week. It's a great show. In my neck of the woods, it airs Saturday afternoon at 4 PM, which is a perfect time. If it aired during the regular primetime schedule, I'm afraid it would be eaten up by other shows, but the weekends are a nice home for it.
I've heard that Legend of the Seeker, based on The Sword of Truth novels by Terry Goodkind, is similar to Hercules: The Legendary Journeys and Xena: Warrior Princess. As with Legend, both of these shows were produced by Sam Raimi and Robert G. Tapert.
Actress Jolene Blalock (Vulcan T'Pol in Star Trek: Enterprise) is joining the cast of the New Zealand-based, Disney produced fantasy series as a recurring villain. According to a Disney press release, Blalock begins filming this week as "a mysterious Sister of the Dark who possesses very powerful magic."
It'll help you a lot to understand this next but if you're a fan of the show, but Blalock will not only threaten heroic Richard (Craig Horner) and "his quest to defeat evil forces," but her real goal is to destroy the lovely female lead, Kahlan (Bridget Regan).
I don't know if Legend of the Seeker could be considered a guilty pleasure or not. I mean, if you like something, why does it have to be a "guilty" pleasure? Having said that, I think a lot of people would consider this show something they're not willing to admit they like. But I'll admit it: I like it. It's a fun show.
Holiday TV Comedy Collection is a mix of Christmas episodes from various shows, including The Office, 30 Rock, Psych, Monk, and House.
- Bugs Bunny/Looney Tunes - Spotlight Collection Vol. 7
- Curious George - A Very Monkey Christmas
- Flashpoint - Season 1
I'll not get into the specifics of her character arc in the series, as the series will likely deviate from it anyway. But I can tell you that she is a beautiful, ambitious and powerful woman as the saga unfolds. It's a role that Lena Headey has proven herself more than capable of handling.
She's joining an already impressive and massive cast for the ambitious fantasy series. Certainly her ties to both 300 and T:TSCC might help raise awareness of this project in just the fan communities it needs. I'm looking for this to be the more sophisticated big brother of Legend of the Seeker, which tackles another massive book series.
According to producing partners Disney and ABC, the syndicated fantasy adventure show will return this fall. A descendant of the Hercules and Xena food family, Seeker tells the story of a woodsman whose life "gets turned upside down after discovering that he has a profound destiny to fulfill as the Seeker."
It's a burdensome duty that thrusts him into an unfamiliar world of magic, sorcery, evil and heaving wenches. The Seeker fights to protect innocent lives by confronting dangerous and evil forces because that's generally what heroes do in these sword and sorcery tales.
Wow, "syndicated adventure series." Whatever happened to all of those cheesy syndicated adventure shows that used to dot the television landscape? There used to be dozens of them on the weekends and late at night. Sitcoms too. There aren't too many of them anymore, replaced by reality, home improvement, court shows, and talk shows, or not replaced at all.
Well, the big news to come out of the Wizard's First Rule panel was that the series is not going to be called Wizard's First Rule. The new title is Legend of the Seeker. Why? Well, according to panelists and author Terry Goodkind the name change was made to focus on the hero of the book itself rather than the main book of the series.
A few other tidbits from the panel and press event can be found after the jump.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'Revolution' Season 2 Episode Photos
- 'Reign' Episode 21 Photos: The Madness of King Henry
- 'Reign': 17 Moments of James, Marriage Troubles and Catherine?s Plots from 'No Exit'
- 'The Vampire Diaries' Episodes 5.20 and 5.21 Photos: Stelena in Danger
- 'Parenthood' Season 5 Highlights: Break-ups, Breakdowns and Breakthroughs
- More From BuddyTV
- Nashville to Host First Lady Michelle Obama
- Lara Spencer Promoted to GMA Co-Anchor
- SNL to Celebrate 40th Anniversary With 3-Hour Live Special in 2015
- Exclusive Degrassi Sneak Peek: Zig and Miles Come to Blows in the Midseason Finale
- TVLine Items: New Normal Heart Trailer, Fox Pulls High-Def Block, Workaholic Visits Parks and More
- More From TVLine