But there were a fair number of people who asked us "Where's Ellen DeGeneres?" or "Where's Oprah?" among others. Well, since we were talking about TV characters and not real people, those folks had to be left off the list (And, yes, we know Ellen played a pretty important TV character ... more on this later.)
Fear not, loyal TV watchers. We've got a list for those of you who want to celebrate women who put themselves out there, have created a brand, or have made significant contributions to the current TV landscape as themselves and not a fictional character.
The list isn't in any particular order; after the first few obvious names, the rest of the women on this list come so close, it's hard to rank them. So we'll just start with TV's most accomplished woman (hint: her name starts with an O ... and it ain't Omarosa) and go from there.
When I first saw the URL for wowowow.com, I thought it had to do with pain. You know, someone is hitting you over the head with a ruler and you're saying "ow...ow...ow!"
Upon closer inspection I see that it stands for WOW O WOW. It's a web site that launches this Saturday. It's described as a site for women over 40, and the people behind it include Lesley Stahl, Whoopi Goldberg, Candice Bergen, Lily Tomlin, Marlo Thomas, columnist Liz Smith, advertising veteran Mary Wells, publishing exec Joni Evans, and writer Peggy Noonan, among others.
Katie Couric just broke into CBS programming with the shocking news that longtime 60 Minutes journalist Ed Bradley died this morning of leukemia. He was 65.
I use the word shocking because I don't think there was any public indication that Bradley was sick from leukemia.
At the time of his death, Bradley was still working on 60 Minutes, and stories that he was working on still remain to be aired at a later date. He had been with 60 Minutes for 26 years and won several awards, including an Emmy, a Polk, a Robert F. Kennedy Journalism Award, and a duPont citation.
Bradley was married to artist Patricia Blanchet.
My guess? There are contract negotiations going on, but I'm sure Bradley is working the same way he always has, and the press is just trying to find juicy stuff to tease with about a longtime TV personality (shocking the press would do that, I know). The NYDN even tries to get him to talk about his contract, and he says he doesn't discuss his contract with anyone. I think that's the right response to that question no matter what the situation. I really doubt Bradley is walking around the CBS offices with a donut, talking to people in their cubicles, not doing any work, going back to his office to pout and play solitaire on his computer until producers give him more money.
"The audience is more sophisticated than we give them credit for - they don't want a mechanical Ted Baxter ...I'm a serious, compassionate, caring person. I hope that comes out. People want a multidimensional [news anchor] and not someone they can put in a box."
She also added (and I'm glad she's finally saying this - I mean, no one else is):
"Anyone who watches Today knows that I've done more hard-hitting interviews than any evening news anchor."
A little self-serving, but so what? It's accurate.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'Bones' Exclusive Interview: The Writers Talk Brennan and Booth's Future and a Whirlpool Death
- Did 'Kardashians' Star Bruce Jenner Undergo Sex Change Surgery?
- 'The Bachelorette' Family Blog: Kupah's Big Meltdown
- 'iZombie' Recap: Major Uncovers a Shocking Secret
- 'America's Got Talent' Season 10 Premiere Recap: Unassuming Acts Shine as the Auditions Begin
- More From BuddyTV
- The Good Wife: Archie Panjabi Doesn't Deny Kalinda/Alicia Scene Was Faked
- Amy Schumer 'Defends' Bill Cosby in Court of Public Opinion — Watch Clips
- America's Got Talent Premiere: Howie Shakes Hands & More Big Moments — Plus: Who Got the First Golden Buzzer?
- Aquarius: David Duchovny, Cast Talk 'Tragic' Charles Manson Drama
- American Idol's Clark Beckham Talks 'Sunday Morning' Chords, Police Lyrics, His Big Battle With Scott Borchetta
- More From TVLine
- We Have Miley Cyrus to Thank for ‘Grace and Frankie' Season 2
- Zac Efron's Brother Pens Sweet Poem About Struggles of Having a Famous Sibling
- Kim Kardashian Topless for 'Vogue Brasil' in Marilyn Monroe-Inspired Photo Shoot
- Star Sightings May 2015
- The First Trailer for the 'Point Break' Remake Is Here and It's Bonkers!
- More From ET