The Emmy-award winning Nick News will take a look at the good and bad sides of public discourse with a special airing November 5 at 8:30 pm on Nickelodeon titled Nick News with Linda Ellerbee: Cheap Shots and Low Blows: How Debate Turns To Hate. The special, which will also feature Chris Matthews, Al Franken and Ann Coulter will include children from around the country talking about what they feel is appropriate in public debate and what isn't, what's fair game in political debates and what is nothing more than a personal attack. While grown ups can easily sift through a lot of the nonsense that makes up public debate, we tend to forget the effect it can have on children without some kind of frame of reference. Given the extremes of Franken and Coulter alone, this could be an interesting special.
In the past the kid-centric news program has covered issues such as intelligent design, Hurricane Katrina, and health issues.
Reuven Frank, the former NBC News president who helped create the Huntley-Brinkley Report and bring Tom Brokaw to NBC passed away Sunday due to complications from pneumonia.
Frank started with NBC in 1950 and stayed with the network for the next 38 years. After David Brinkley and Chet Huntley's coverage of the Democratic and Republican conventions in 1956, Frank teamed the pair up for the Huntley-Brinkley Report. The fifteen-minute broadcast remained a popular news program through the 1960s, and is still considered a watershed moment in television news, being the first show to use live anchors in two separate cities. Later, he would be the mind behind NBC's tenacious coverage of NASA's early space missions.
In the late 70s and early 80s Frank created a late night news show called Weekend, and another late night news program featuring Linda Ellerbee called NBC News Overnight. The show became known for Ellerbee's tagline, "And so it goes..." a line borrowed from Kurt Vonnegut's novel Slaughter House Five.
In addition to his work in television, Frank also produced a number of documentaries. He was 85.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'Grimm': 17 Nasty Surprises from 'The Stories We Tell Our Young'
- The Best 'Bones' Quotes from 'The Spark in the Park'
- 'Once Upon a Time in Wonderland' Season 1 Episode Photos
- 'NCIS' Season 11 Episode Photos
- 'Agents of SHIELD' Episode 10 Photos: Mike Peterson Returns to Fight Against Centipede
- More From BuddyTV
- MTV cancels 'Teen Mom 3,' Briana Dejesus, Alex Sekella, and Katie Yeager reveal on Twitter
- 'Sherlock' Season 3: Watch the first full trailer and see the GIFs
- 'The Mentalist's' Robin Tunney on the Red John reveal: 'It's time'
- 'Holidaze's' Jennie Garth: 'There's a few twists'
- 'Bonnie & Clyde': Holliday Grainger and Emile Hirsch are the 'original reality TV stars'
- More From Zap2it
- Quotes of the Week: Best Zingers From Masters of Sex, HIMYM, Scandal, Tomorrow People & More
- Paul Rudd Hosts Saturday Night Live: Watch Video of the Best and Worst Sketches
- What to Watch Sunday: Race Finishes, Mentalist Fall Finale, Bonnie & Clyde Ride Again and More
- Reality Check: Breaking Down The Voice's Final 5! Plus: Alex & Sierra's X Factor Supremacy
- TVLine Mixtape: Your Favorite Songs from The Walking Dead, Grey's, Sons of Anarchy and More
- More From TVLine