The Emmy-award winning Nick News will take a look at the good and bad sides of public discourse with a special airing November 5 at 8:30 pm on Nickelodeon titled Nick News with Linda Ellerbee: Cheap Shots and Low Blows: How Debate Turns To Hate. The special, which will also feature Chris Matthews, Al Franken and Ann Coulter will include children from around the country talking about what they feel is appropriate in public debate and what isn't, what's fair game in political debates and what is nothing more than a personal attack. While grown ups can easily sift through a lot of the nonsense that makes up public debate, we tend to forget the effect it can have on children without some kind of frame of reference. Given the extremes of Franken and Coulter alone, this could be an interesting special.
In the past the kid-centric news program has covered issues such as intelligent design, Hurricane Katrina, and health issues.
Reuven Frank, the former NBC News president who helped create the Huntley-Brinkley Report and bring Tom Brokaw to NBC passed away Sunday due to complications from pneumonia.
Frank started with NBC in 1950 and stayed with the network for the next 38 years. After David Brinkley and Chet Huntley's coverage of the Democratic and Republican conventions in 1956, Frank teamed the pair up for the Huntley-Brinkley Report. The fifteen-minute broadcast remained a popular news program through the 1960s, and is still considered a watershed moment in television news, being the first show to use live anchors in two separate cities. Later, he would be the mind behind NBC's tenacious coverage of NASA's early space missions.
In the late 70s and early 80s Frank created a late night news show called Weekend, and another late night news program featuring Linda Ellerbee called NBC News Overnight. The show became known for Ellerbee's tagline, "And so it goes..." a line borrowed from Kurt Vonnegut's novel Slaughter House Five.
In addition to his work in television, Frank also produced a number of documentaries. He was 85.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- Meet The Master of 'The Strain': Robin Atkin Downes on How He Came Up with the Distinct Voice
- 'Madam Secretary' Review: A New Political Drama with Plenty of Potential
- 'NCIS' Episode 12.2 Photos: NFL Star Tony Gonzalez Guest Stars
- 'The Strain' Season 1 Episode Photos
- 'Big Brother 16' Spoilers: Who Won Part 2 of the Final HoH Competition?
- More From BuddyTV
- True Detective: Colin Farrell Reportedly Confirms Season 2 Role
- Quotes of the Week from Girl Meets World, Sons of Anarchy, Mindy and More
- Can S.H.I.E.L.D.'s Brilliance Trump HYDRA's Magnificence? Lucy Lawless Previews the Season 2 Opener
- Outlander Post Mortem: Sam Heughan Bares All About the Wedding Night
- Outlander Recap: Virgin Territory
- More From TVLine
- Meagan Good Responds to Nude Photos Leak
- Emma Watson and Leonardo DiCaprio Draw Attention to the United Nations
- 'The Maze Runner' Tops the Weekend Box Office Along with Two New Movies
- Colin Farrell Confirmed for Second Season of 'True Detective'
- 'Cape Fear' and 'Desperate Housewives' Actress Polly Bergen Dies at 84
- More From ET