The Emmy-award winning Nick News will take a look at the good and bad sides of public discourse with a special airing November 5 at 8:30 pm on Nickelodeon titled Nick News with Linda Ellerbee: Cheap Shots and Low Blows: How Debate Turns To Hate. The special, which will also feature Chris Matthews, Al Franken and Ann Coulter will include children from around the country talking about what they feel is appropriate in public debate and what isn't, what's fair game in political debates and what is nothing more than a personal attack. While grown ups can easily sift through a lot of the nonsense that makes up public debate, we tend to forget the effect it can have on children without some kind of frame of reference. Given the extremes of Franken and Coulter alone, this could be an interesting special.
In the past the kid-centric news program has covered issues such as intelligent design, Hurricane Katrina, and health issues.
Reuven Frank, the former NBC News president who helped create the Huntley-Brinkley Report and bring Tom Brokaw to NBC passed away Sunday due to complications from pneumonia.
Frank started with NBC in 1950 and stayed with the network for the next 38 years. After David Brinkley and Chet Huntley's coverage of the Democratic and Republican conventions in 1956, Frank teamed the pair up for the Huntley-Brinkley Report. The fifteen-minute broadcast remained a popular news program through the 1960s, and is still considered a watershed moment in television news, being the first show to use live anchors in two separate cities. Later, he would be the mind behind NBC's tenacious coverage of NASA's early space missions.
In the late 70s and early 80s Frank created a late night news show called Weekend, and another late night news program featuring Linda Ellerbee called NBC News Overnight. The show became known for Ellerbee's tagline, "And so it goes..." a line borrowed from Kurt Vonnegut's novel Slaughter House Five.
In addition to his work in television, Frank also produced a number of documentaries. He was 85.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'Dancing with the Stars' Season 21 Cast: 13 Couples Revealed with Paula Deen
- 'America's Got Talent' Predictions: Which 5 Acts Will Advance to the Top 10?
- 'RHOA' Kicks Off Season 7 with Physical Brawl
- Chris Bukowski Retires from 'Bachelor' Franchise
- 'RHOC' Star Vicki Gunvalson on Costar Meghan King Edmonds: 'There is Zero Respect with Her'
- More From BuddyTV
- Amazing Race 27: 'Kardashians,' Jets Cheerleaders, Paparazzi Among Cast
- Ratings: Zoo Ties Low, Game Night Up
- Hulu Announces Commercial-Free Option — How Much Will It Cost You?
- Oscars Twist: 2016 Academy Awards Ceremony Will Have 2 Hosts
- Sleepy Hollow's Witnesses Put Their Heads Together in Season 3 Poster
- More From TVLine
- Reese Witherspoon Lunches With Lena Dunham, Sparks Collaboration Rumors
- Watch the Cyrus Family's Stunned Reaction to Nicki Minaj Calling Out Miley at the VMAs
- Here's Who Each Disney Princess Should Have Actually Ended Up With
- Bette Midler Wants to Play Jennifer Lawrence and Amy Schumer's Mother in Duo's New Movie
- Anderson Cooper Posts Sweet Tribute After the Death of His Dog Molly
- More From ET