The Emmy-award winning Nick News will take a look at the good and bad sides of public discourse with a special airing November 5 at 8:30 pm on Nickelodeon titled Nick News with Linda Ellerbee: Cheap Shots and Low Blows: How Debate Turns To Hate. The special, which will also feature Chris Matthews, Al Franken and Ann Coulter will include children from around the country talking about what they feel is appropriate in public debate and what isn't, what's fair game in political debates and what is nothing more than a personal attack. While grown ups can easily sift through a lot of the nonsense that makes up public debate, we tend to forget the effect it can have on children without some kind of frame of reference. Given the extremes of Franken and Coulter alone, this could be an interesting special.
In the past the kid-centric news program has covered issues such as intelligent design, Hurricane Katrina, and health issues.
Reuven Frank, the former NBC News president who helped create the Huntley-Brinkley Report and bring Tom Brokaw to NBC passed away Sunday due to complications from pneumonia.
Frank started with NBC in 1950 and stayed with the network for the next 38 years. After David Brinkley and Chet Huntley's coverage of the Democratic and Republican conventions in 1956, Frank teamed the pair up for the Huntley-Brinkley Report. The fifteen-minute broadcast remained a popular news program through the 1960s, and is still considered a watershed moment in television news, being the first show to use live anchors in two separate cities. Later, he would be the mind behind NBC's tenacious coverage of NASA's early space missions.
In the late 70s and early 80s Frank created a late night news show called Weekend, and another late night news program featuring Linda Ellerbee called NBC News Overnight. The show became known for Ellerbee's tagline, "And so it goes..." a line borrowed from Kurt Vonnegut's novel Slaughter House Five.
In addition to his work in television, Frank also produced a number of documentaries. He was 85.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- Best 'Flash' Quotes from 'Tricksters'
- [Video] 'DIG' Exclusive Clip: Will Debbie Be Saved?
- 'Supernatural' Interview: Jim Beaver Teases Bobby's Return is 'The Real Deal'
- 'Survivor: Worlds Apart' Predictions: Who Will Go Home in Week 6?
- 'American Idol' Predictions: Who Will Leave the Top 9?
- More From BuddyTV
- April Fools' Day: 25 Twisted Plot Tricks from Alias, Arrow, Buffy, PLL & More
- Ratings: New Girl, NCIS, S.H.I.E.L.D. Tie Lows; Weird Loners Has Few Friends
- X-Files Revival: Cigarette-Smoking Man, Walter Skinner Set to Return
- Supernatural's Jim Beaver on Bobby's 'Wistful' Heaven, Concerns About Dean
- Cougar Town Finale Recap: 'Deja View'
- More From TVLine
- Ingrid Michaelson Opens Up About New Music After Losing Mom: 'I Have a Different Mind Now'
- Chris Rock Posts Selfie of Himself Getting Pulled Over for the Third Time in 7 Weeks
- Monica Lewinsky Is Not Joining 'The View': 'This Is Obviously Not Happening'
- Avril Lavigne Opens Up About Her Health Crisis: 'I Thought I Was Dying'
- 'Arrow' Fave Dishes on Mama Smoak's Return and the Secrets of Felicity's Father
- More From ET