September 14, 2014
by Jason Hughes, posted Apr 14th 2010 1:03PM
(S01E05) Ah, family. Probably the one thing Raylan didn't want to have to deal with upon his return to Kentucky. Unfortunately, a stakeout brought him to Harlan, where his father and stepmother live and operate. For the first time since 'Justified' premiered, we got a huge dose of the Givens family drama Raylan was running away from in the first place.
Can't say as I blame him. Family is always family, but if I had someone like Raylan's father Arlo to deal with in my family, I don't know how I'd handle it. Both Timothy Olyphant and Raymond J. Barry, as Arlo, did a masterful job of showing the layers of complexity in their relationship throughout the episode.
The hurt and frustration Raylan went through as a child never quite left him, and while there are traces of guilt and regret in Arlo, there's so much more of him that's never bothered to change and never quite will.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'Kardashians' Roundup: Khloe and French Montana Split, Kendall Bans Kim from Fashion Show and More
- 'Big Brother 16' Recap: Rewind Week Is Better the Second Time Around
- 'The Real Housewives of New Jersey' Recap: Amber and Rino Have Health Scares
- 'Big Brother 16' Spoilers: Was the Real Power of Veto Used in the Final 5?
- 'Reign' Season 2 Premiere Photos: The Black Plague Ravages the Land
- More From BuddyTV