Dorothy asked if his other co-star Cloris Leachman was afraid of the baby. "Everybody's afraid of this baby," he said. "It's the most terrifying baby on prime-time." 'Hope' is actually played by a set of twins, Bailey and Riley, who Lucas said are "really great listeners."
We've gotten cozy hanging out in the Chance house on 'Raising Hope,' but tonight's episode (Tues., Sept. 27, 9:30PM ET on Fox) has the crew moving on up.
See, Sabrina doesn't really have to work at the grocery store. Truth is, she comes from money -- like sick mansions and fancy yachts kind of money -- and this week the Chance family will get to meet her crazy, gun-toting father Cap, played by the fabulously funny Stephen Root.
I visited the show while they were on location at Cap's mansion to see everyone all dressed up (Virginia's wearing lipstick! Jimmy and Burt are in short-sleeved button-downs!) and to find out what we'll learn about wealthy Sabrina's past.
Jimmy (Lucas Neff) is the first to notice the problem. " ... Um," he says. "These aren't cookies -- they're dirt clods ... with little rocks in them." Meanwhile, her indulgent granddaughter Virginia (Martha Plimpton) tries to smooth things over, via the time-tested "it's Christmas; everyone try to get along" excuse.
As the family members gaze upon the dirt/rock "snickerdoodles" in horror, Virginia provides some not-so-subtle encouragement: "Oh, let her her have this; it's the holidays." True: it is the holidays. And hey -- things could be worse. After all, in the spirit of love and joy, Maw Maw did use little rocks, not big ones. So she's trying, at least ...
Guest star Jason Lee -- who starred in creator Greg Garcia's last hit 'My Name Is Earl' -- is playing Smokey Floyd, a has-been rocker who also happens to be Burt's (Garret Dillahunt) musical idol. He's in town "headlining" Grocery-Palooza (Tues., 9PM ET on Fox), if that gives you any indication of how far he's fallen from fame. Need more proof? Just check out Lee's look: that tattered shirt, those python-print pleather pants, that receding hairline and mullet combo. He's almost unrecognizable, so it makes sense that he chose to do this interview in character as Smokey Floyd.
I caught up with old Smokey (who one star says "looks like Bon Jovi's grandpa"), Dillahunt and the rest of the gang at 'Raising Hope' to find out what Grocery-Palooza is all about and how the aging rockstar shakes things up.
And this is what happens if you have a normal family. But the pain is increased a thousandfold if you're part of a completely dysfunctional family ... like, say, the Chance clan on 'Raising Hope' (Tue., 9PM ET on Fox).
[Warning: Spoiler alert.]
The thing about 'Raising Hope' is that every episode has the same premise. Although the Chances are supposed to take care of baby Hope, they're actually really bad at it! Guffaws and chuckles are the intended result. But everything is pitched a little too broadly for our taste.
[Warning: Spoiler alert.]
The set-up is that Jimmy Chance (Lucas Neff) has sex with a woman who turns out to be a murderer. The young lady gives birth to Hope, and then the mom is -- killed in the electric chair. Next, Hope's life is constantly put at risk by the incompetence of Jimmy and his white trash relatives. So already we've got murder, execution, and child endangerment as a combo. Not necessarily a perfect template for a cutesy sitcom.
Get it? 'Raising Hope'? 'Cause they're going to raise the baby named Hope, but maybe the baby will help raise their hope as well? Because their lives kind of suck right now. Man, that is the kind of cleverness you just don't find on network television.
Almost as clever as Jimmy's question at the grocery store. We've seen new parents being overly cautious, but this is taking it to extremes. He prepared the cashier by tellling her that it may be a stupid question, but as she said afterward, "I just wasn't really prepared for that."
Some of them have never had a major role before, and some of them are making their Hollywood debut, but we're betting that these 13 actors and actresses will be among the stars viewers are talking about this TV season ...
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- Kellie Pickler?s Winning ?Dancing with the Stars? Season in Review
- Zendaya's 'Dancing with the Stars' Season in Review
- Jacoby Jones' 'Dancing with the Stars' Season in Review
- Alexandra Raisman's 'Dancing with the Stars' Season in Review
- 'Hawaii Five-0' Season 3 Finale: 5 Burning Questions for Season 4
- More From BuddyTV
- Disney Channel pulls 'Jessie' episode after gluten-intolerance jokes spark controversy
- 'Dancing with the Stars' finale: Who won Season 16 - Kellie Pickler or Zendaya?
- 'Grimm' Season 2 finale: 'Goodnight, Sweet Grimm' sends a major character to his coffin
- 'The Voice' results: The Top 10 sheds two - Who went home?
- 'Dancing with the Stars' finale: Who landed in 4th place?
- More From Zap2it
- Dancing With the Stars Season 16 Finale: Did the Right Couple Win the Mirrorball Trophy?
- Grimm Post Mortem: David Giuntoli on Nick in a Box ('It's Going to Be Bad'), Wesen Sex and More
- Disney Channel Pulls Controversial Jessie Episode That Mocked Gluten Intolerance
- The Voice Top 10 Results Recap: Did the Right Two Contestants Go Home?
- Ask Ausiello: Spoilers on Vampire Diaries, Nikita, Psych, Revenge, Covert Affairs and More!
- More From TVLine