(S01E01) I think it's really appropriate that the Emmy Award nominations were announced on the same day this show premiered, because if there's any justice in this TV land, we'll be hearing a lot about Mad Men at this time next year.
The television landscape is filled with a lot of shows that are just the same as other shows on other networks. Even when we say "there's nothing else like this on TV right now," it's usually not true. There's usually something a bit (or a lot) like the show we're talking about. Mad Men is one show we can truly say is rather original. Of course, it's original by being retro. It's New York City, 1960. The world of Madison Avenue advertising men. And it is men, as most of the women are in the secretarial pool or gum chewing telephone operators.
But the women have power too, in ways the men don't see.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'Once Upon a Time' Recap: The Author is Revealed
- 'The Real Housewives of Atlanta' Recap: The Ladies Try to Make Amends During a Girls' Getaway
- 'Secrets and Lies' Exclusive Interview: KaDee Strickland Teases Coming 'Threat, Urgency and Danger'
- 'Criminal Minds' Episode 10.19 Photos: Meet the FBI's International Unit
- 'The Vampire Diaries' Episode 6.18 Photos: Elena Reevaluates Her Vampire Life
- More From BuddyTV
- Once Recap: Author! Author! (AKA the Episode With Lotsa Answers)
- Quotes of the Week From The Royals, DWTS, Undateable and More
- Dwayne Johnson Hosts SNL: Watch Video of the Best and Worst Sketches
- Kids' Choice Awards 2015 Winners: Modern Family, Austin & Ally and More
- Ratings: Grimm Hits Low, Cristela Slips, Hart of Dixie Finale Flat
- More From TVLine
- 8 Burning Questions We Have after Watching HBO's Scientology Doc, ‘Going Clear'
- iHeartRadio Music Awards 2015 Red Carpet Arrivals
- Op-Ed: Thank You, Angelina Jolie, For Celebrating Our Kids Who Are 'Different'
- Carrie Underwood Posts First Full Shot of Baby Isaiah
- Dwayne Johnson Hulks Out as President 'The Rock' Obama on 'SNL'
- More From ET