(S01E01) I think it's really appropriate that the Emmy Award nominations were announced on the same day this show premiered, because if there's any justice in this TV land, we'll be hearing a lot about Mad Men at this time next year.
The television landscape is filled with a lot of shows that are just the same as other shows on other networks. Even when we say "there's nothing else like this on TV right now," it's usually not true. There's usually something a bit (or a lot) like the show we're talking about. Mad Men is one show we can truly say is rather original. Of course, it's original by being retro. It's New York City, 1960. The world of Madison Avenue advertising men. And it is men, as most of the women are in the secretarial pool or gum chewing telephone operators.
But the women have power too, in ways the men don't see.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- Sopranos Star James Gandolfini Dead at 51, Hailed as 'One of the Greatest Actors of Any Time'
- Netflix Renews Hemlock Grove for Season 2
- FX Picks Up Legal Comedy Starring Kelsey Grammer and Martin Lawrence
- So You Think You Can Dance: Lessons Learned From the Top 20 Announcement Episode
- Exclusive Hannibal Video: Alana and Jack Argue Over Will's Mental Health — Is Their Pal a Killer?
- More From TVLine