(S01E01) I think it's really appropriate that the Emmy Award nominations were announced on the same day this show premiered, because if there's any justice in this TV land, we'll be hearing a lot about Mad Men at this time next year.
The television landscape is filled with a lot of shows that are just the same as other shows on other networks. Even when we say "there's nothing else like this on TV right now," it's usually not true. There's usually something a bit (or a lot) like the show we're talking about. Mad Men is one show we can truly say is rather original. Of course, it's original by being retro. It's New York City, 1960. The world of Madison Avenue advertising men. And it is men, as most of the women are in the secretarial pool or gum chewing telephone operators.
But the women have power too, in ways the men don't see.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- TNT Orders 1970s-Set 'Cocaine' Pilot From Jerry Bruckheimer, Michael Bay
- Castle's Season 7 Premiere: 12 Teasers
- Sanjay and Craig Video: Chris Hardwick Brings Craig to Life — Plus: New Clip
- NCIS: Los Angeles Season 6 Sneak Peek: Has Someone Hurt Hetty?!
- Bad Judge First Look: Kate Walsh Gets Wild With Ryan Hansen
- More From TVLine
- Cheryl Burke's 'DWTS' Future Still 'Up in the Air'
- This Teacher Just Won $1 Million on 'Wheel of Fortune'
- Date Night! Jennifer Lawrence Attends Coldplay Concert
- Miley Cyrus Twerks on Mexican Flag, Now Under Investigation
- Kenny Chesney Talks 'The Big Revival,' Writing About Women and Taylor Swift's Pop Crossover
- More From ET