But first, there was a big discussion about whether the last basket of Acrodunk actually went in last night. Piers said it didn't, and Sharon bet him $500 that it did. After the slo-mo replay, it was determined that it DID go in, and now Piers owes Sharon $500. Let's hope it goes to charity. Maybe a basketball camp for kids or something.
Nick introduced the acts, and I must say, there's quite a variety this season. I'm filling in for Isabelle on this review, and it's fun to see such a diverse group competing for the top prize.
Here we go America, you now have control over America's Got Talent. And just based on the comments TV Squad readers left on my last three AGT posts, it's clear that viewers were not happy with the Top 40 selection and that they hoped the Simon Cowell curve ball would allow them to rectify the list and bring fan favorite Kari, Ciana and/or Tallan into the mix.
Did Simon throw the curve ball we wanted? Did the first Top 40 performers deliver? My two cents, and yours via comments, coming up!
The judges may not have given David Glass a chance -- they were right not to do so -- but they did give a free pass to another contestant who didn't have the goods to go on to Las Vegas. Even if the producers will never admit to it, you must agree that it looks like producers have the judges vote through a certain number of bad and wacky acts so that viewers tune in for Vegas Week to see if the judges will be crazy enough to vote those to the Top 20.
Tonight's episode gave us another reason why America's Got Talent should not let individual singers audition since a lot go move on to the later rounds, making it look like another version of American Idol. This week, they not only let through a few singers, they also let through Idol's season one contestant Kelli Glover.
America definitely got some magic tonight, as this was the first episode of the season where there were more good acts and not-so-bad ones than there were bad acts.
Before I give my two cents about the performances and let you comment on them, as well, I need to raise the issue of sponsoring. It looks like Orville Redenbacher is now sponsoring America's Got Talent. So far, it was done with some taste -- just a sort of "pop corn" ad telling us to watch the show -- but I'm afraid it may become as intrusive as the "Gone Completely Crakers" were last season. Let's hope we won't get a "Poppin' It" segment similar to the "Crakers" one, as they were boring and used good air time that could have been given to good performances.
And the production was going to be worked on by a former cast member of Saved By The Bell.
(S04E01) "This place is absolutely barkin' mad." - Sharon about Seattle
This year's season premiere of America's Got Talent was about the same as last year's and the previous one: same montage of bad and good acts, instant reactions from the host backstage, the same type of comments from Piers, Sharon and the Hoff, and the last act being one where the contestants have a touching story and are great performers.
The main difference was the change in host -- Nick Cannon took over for Jerry Springer -- and the fact that a contestant, whose act was singing and playing guitar, decided to profess his love to The Hoff! That was probably the highlight of the entire two-hour premiere.
To enter, simply leave a comment below before 5:00PM Eastern, Friday, November 2, simply telling us your favorite Criss Angel feat. As always, we'll randomly choose three winners amongst the eligible entries. Some other details:
- To enter, leave a confirmed comment below stating your favorite Criss Angel feat.
- The comment must be left before November 2, 2007 at 5:00PM Eastern Time.
- You may enter only once.
- Three winners will be selected in a random drawing.
- Three winners will receive a copy of Criss Angel Mindfreak Season 1 DVDs (valued at $26.95).
I remember seeing the classic magic trick Metamorphosis performed by several magicans over the years. It's the one where there's a giant box, and the woman assistant is tied up, put in a bag, and then put the box, which is then padlocked. The magician stands up on the box, puts a curtain around him, and in only two seconds, the two switch positions. He's now in the box, tied up in the bag, and the assistant is on top of the box.
That came to mind after watching this. It's two quick change artists from America's Got Talent. They change clothing very quickly, while moving, in real time, in front of an audience. While you can come up with explanations for Metamorphosis (and that masked magician explained the trick on one of those TV specials a few years back), I can't figure out how the hell they did this. Any guesses?
One thing's for sure though. Madonna and Cher should hire these two for future tours.
It was reported a few weeks ago that Blaine's next stunt would involve living with various dangerous animals in the jungle, but it looks like while that project is still in the works, it's going to be a documentary and not one of his stunts.
The NY Post piece above says that last week he was hanging from the bridge with suspension wires. But I'm still not sure what the stunt will be. Will he be hanging from suspension wires? If so, I'm not sure what the "stunt" aspect is. Or maybe he was just practicing and he'll be hanging from his hands or something?
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'American Horror Story: Coven': 17 Shocking Moments from 'The Sacred Taking'
- Best 'Arrow' Quotes from 'The Scientist'
- 'Arrow' Season 2 Fall Finale Photos: Roy in Trouble
- 'Nashville': 18 Surprising Moments from 'I'm Tired of Pretending'
- 'Grey's Anatomy' Episode 10.12 Photos: April's Wedding
- More From BuddyTV
- 'Sons of Anarchy' - 'A Mother's Work' photos: It all ends at the jury table
- 'The Spoils of Babylon': Watch the fake making-of for IFC's miniseries
- 'Doctor Who': 'The Time of the Doctor' photos show epic Christmas adventure
- HBO's 'True Detective' poster is stylized and gorgeous
- 'Orange Is the New Black' and 'Breaking Bad' score in Writers Guild Awards nominations
- More From Zap2it
- The Voice Exclusive Outtakes: Fart Jokes, Saved by the Bell Threats and…Xtina Basketball Boasts?
- It's Official: Dianna Agron Returns to Glee
- Matt's Inside Line: Scoop on Once, New Girl, H50, Haven, Arrow, S.H.I.E.L.D, Mentalist, Reign & More
- American Idol Exclusive Season 13 Promo Video: There Will Be Guitars
- TVLine Items: Heather Morris Returns for Glee's 100th, Southland Vet Cops Beast-ly Gig and More!
- More From TVLine