make love not warcraft
Will Wright, the creator of the iconic line of "Sim" games including the popular "Sims," has created a program called the "Storymaker Engine" that lets ordinary schlubs like you and me create TV shows using Sims.
Wright and company are hoping that the stories created from this engine can be turned into an entertaining half-hour to hour of television for Current TV. "Machinima" shows like 'Red vs. Blue' and the 'South Park' 'Make Love, Not Warcraft' episode have helped bring some video game driven entertainment to audiences, but would you watch an entire show that was produced on a video game?
South Park and World of Warcraft fans surely remember the "Sword of a Thousand Truths" from the episode "Make Love, not Warcraft." It was the secret weapon that allowed the boys to finally defeat the diabolic villain who had grown so powerful he almost wiped out the entire community of gamers. Well, that weapon will soon be a reality, or a virtual reality, I suppose. Blizzard Entertainment, the creators of World of Warcraft who helped design the gaming scenes for the South Park episode, will include the sword in the new Arena System of the World of Warcraft expansion, The Burning Crusade. Also, I have no idea what anything means in that last sentence I just typed. Nevertheless, this is a pretty cool thing. The sword will not have the supreme power it did in the episode, however. The new game could be released as early as November. A menu image is available here.
As I said in my review of the South Park episode "Make Love, Not Warcraft," I've never seen nor played that particular game in my life, but like anything else, to many people it borders on a kind of obsession. A few World of Warcraft fans took it upon themselves to add a list of incongruities to the episode's Wikipedia page, pointing out various places throughout the episode where the game the kids are playing differs from the actual version. Most of those claims have been removed from the entry, but you can read a spirited discussion about the relevance of those claims here, and if you really feel like killing time, you can pore through the entry's history. Ah, nerds and the Web, they fit together just like peanut butter and jelly. Admittedly, I'm a nerd myself, but for cartoons. World of Warcraft I couldn't care less about, but if I found some misinformation on Mr. Magoo you can be sure I'd have something to say about it. We all have our weaknesses, after all.
South Park returns tomorrow evening to finish off its tenth season with an episode titled "Make Love, Not Warcraft." South Park Studios has a couple funny, albeit rather short clips to whet your pallet, which can be seen here and here (both link to a QuickTime movie). Apparently the Warcraft craze takes over South Park big time, which isn't much of a surprise considering the residents' habit of overreacting to everything. Also, Blizzard Entertainment, the creators of World of Warcraft, helped out with the episode. Oh yeah, and I'll be picking up where I left off, giving my thoughts and reflections on the episodes, too. Ah, South Park, how I've missed your hilarity and scathing indictment of our misguided culture. If you had a torso I would hug you. If you had an ass I would cop a feel. That's how much I love you, computer-animated series for mature audiences.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'America's Got Talent' Season 9: Semifinals Part 1 Performance Rankings
- 'America's Next Top Model' Cycle 21 Episode 3 Photos: Behind the Scenes of the Rainy Photo Shoot
- 'Under the Dome': 19 Shocking Moments from 'The Red Door'
- 'Bachelor in Paradise' Episode 5 Photos: The Aftermath of Hurricane AshLee
- 'Covert Affairs' Summer Finale Recap: A Place to Fight Back From
- More From BuddyTV
- Chelsea Lately's Final Hour: Handler Says (and Sings) Goodbye to E!
- Has Once Upon a Time's Season 4B Villain Been Revealed...?
- Post Mortem: Covert Affairs Bosses Talk [Spoiler]'s Fate, Annie and Auggie's 'Challenge' and More
- Pretty Little Liars Summer Finale Recap: Death Becomes Her
- CBS' The McCarthys Drafts Rick Fox
- More From TVLine
- EXCLUSIVE: Oprah to Play Richard Pryor's Grandma in Lee Daniels' Biopic
- A 'Full House' Revival is in the Works
- A Brittany Murphy Murder Mystery? Lifetime Releases Biopic Trailer
- EXCLUSIVE! Pretty Little Liars Shocker: Find Out Why [SPOILER] Needed to Die!
- The Stars of Vine Dissect the Emmys
- More From ET