The music will include covers of existing hits plus original songs composed by Marc Shaiman and Scott Wittman, the team behind 'Hairspray' and 'Catch Me If You Can.'
It was also announced that 'Smash' star and former 'American Idol' finalist Katharine McPhee, has signed a solo recording deal with Columbia Records. She previously recorded for RCA and Verve Forecast.
Speaking about the deal, Robert Greenblatt, Chairman NBC Entertainment, said "A musical series should naturally be accompanied by a soundtrack deal, and NBC is very excited to be working with the best. Our Columbia Records partners will guide the soundtrack of 'Smash' into a big component of the show's success. The music will be a driving force ... and we couldn't have asked for better expertise and strategy than this company will provide."
Watch the video after the jump.
- I'll probably end up seeing it on DVD, but Everybody's Fine isn't really making me rush out to the theater in the way I feel a De Niro movie should. You can read Cinematical's review of it here.
- I like Michelle Williams well enough, but I have nearly no desire to see her play Marilyn Monroe.
- Tobey Maguire looks positively terrifying in Brothers. I can't decide if that makes me want to see it more or less. You can read Cinematical's review of Brothers here.
- In Up in the Air, George Clooney plays a man who basically fires people for a living. In his honor, Cinematical Seven has seven ways to leave your employer.
- Speaking of Up in the Air, it's the movie I'm most excited about this weekend. Cinematical reviews it here.
To rev up for the new show, VH1 put together a set of promos that have New York acting as classic Hollywood characters. She plays Dorothy from Wizard of Oz: "Toto, where the f*ck are we?" She plays Marilyn Monroe in that classic scene where the blonde starlet walks over the sidewalk grate. However, New York uses the breeze from the passing subway car to dry her nails and her nether regions. Whatever works, right? Finally, New York plays Forrest Gump and imparts some wisdom about life and chocolates.
The videos are after the jump. All three are stupid and unfunny. And all three prove the New York's new show is going to be a blast. Check it out and let me know what you think.
New York Goes to Hollywood premieres August 4th at 9 p.m. ET on VH1.
So, this is what half a million dollars pays for during the Super Bowl, huh? A 30-second commercial about three hair icons (not to be confused with America's Next Hair Icon): Madonna, Shakira and Marilyn Monroe. Nothing really spectacular, just some pop art images of those three with background music sung by each of them.
I'm trying to figure out who this commercial was targeted for. Obviously, they were aiming for all of the women who are watching the Super Bowl. But, with all of the testosterone flowing in these other commercials it seems like this ad got lost in the crowd. Plus, how many guys really know who Shakira is (other when there friends show them how hot she is). Frankly, Sunsilk's commercial money could have been used better elsewhere.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'Bachelor in Paradise' Spoilers: Two Contestants Arrive While Someone Has a Change of Heart
- 'Big Brother 17' Spoilers: Who Won the Week 10 Power of Veto?
- 'Bones': 10 Memorable Moments at the Jeffersonian
- The Funniest Quotes from ?Big Brother 17? Week 9
- 'The Bachelor' Book Club: Reality Stars Turned Authors
- More From BuddyTV
- Archer Cast on Season 7: Espionage, Giant Animals and... Cocaine Pies?
- Big Bang Theory Season 9: Our Hopes for 'Shamy,' Li'l Wolowitz and More
- Hannibal Finale Post Mortem: Bryan Fuller on Will/Lecter Love, Bedelia's Last Supper, That Siouxsie Sioux Jam
- Alison Brie and Cast of Teachers Preview 'Shocking' TV Land Comedy
- Downton Abbey Trailer Tees Up Bittersweet Final Season
- More From TVLine
- EXCLUSIVE: Khloe Kardashian Spills on Fireworks Fiasco at Boyfriend's Yacht Party: 'No One Would Just Take That Risk'
- 11 Most Daring Celebrity Swimsuit Moments of the Summer
- EXCLUSIVE: Kris Jenner Sets the Story Straight on Her Kids' Rumors — And Why She Fell Asleep on Kanye West!
- Josh Duggar's Sister Jessa Speaks at Southern Women's Show, Opens Up About Her Home Life
- One Direction's Liam Payne Turns 22! Look Back at 7 of His Hottest Moments
- More From ET