The music will include covers of existing hits plus original songs composed by Marc Shaiman and Scott Wittman, the team behind 'Hairspray' and 'Catch Me If You Can.'
It was also announced that 'Smash' star and former 'American Idol' finalist Katharine McPhee, has signed a solo recording deal with Columbia Records. She previously recorded for RCA and Verve Forecast.
Speaking about the deal, Robert Greenblatt, Chairman NBC Entertainment, said "A musical series should naturally be accompanied by a soundtrack deal, and NBC is very excited to be working with the best. Our Columbia Records partners will guide the soundtrack of 'Smash' into a big component of the show's success. The music will be a driving force ... and we couldn't have asked for better expertise and strategy than this company will provide."
Watch the video after the jump.
- I'll probably end up seeing it on DVD, but Everybody's Fine isn't really making me rush out to the theater in the way I feel a De Niro movie should. You can read Cinematical's review of it here.
- I like Michelle Williams well enough, but I have nearly no desire to see her play Marilyn Monroe.
- Tobey Maguire looks positively terrifying in Brothers. I can't decide if that makes me want to see it more or less. You can read Cinematical's review of Brothers here.
- In Up in the Air, George Clooney plays a man who basically fires people for a living. In his honor, Cinematical Seven has seven ways to leave your employer.
- Speaking of Up in the Air, it's the movie I'm most excited about this weekend. Cinematical reviews it here.
To rev up for the new show, VH1 put together a set of promos that have New York acting as classic Hollywood characters. She plays Dorothy from Wizard of Oz: "Toto, where the f*ck are we?" She plays Marilyn Monroe in that classic scene where the blonde starlet walks over the sidewalk grate. However, New York uses the breeze from the passing subway car to dry her nails and her nether regions. Whatever works, right? Finally, New York plays Forrest Gump and imparts some wisdom about life and chocolates.
The videos are after the jump. All three are stupid and unfunny. And all three prove the New York's new show is going to be a blast. Check it out and let me know what you think.
New York Goes to Hollywood premieres August 4th at 9 p.m. ET on VH1.
So, this is what half a million dollars pays for during the Super Bowl, huh? A 30-second commercial about three hair icons (not to be confused with America's Next Hair Icon): Madonna, Shakira and Marilyn Monroe. Nothing really spectacular, just some pop art images of those three with background music sung by each of them.
I'm trying to figure out who this commercial was targeted for. Obviously, they were aiming for all of the women who are watching the Super Bowl. But, with all of the testosterone flowing in these other commercials it seems like this ad got lost in the crowd. Plus, how many guys really know who Shakira is (other when there friends show them how hot she is). Frankly, Sunsilk's commercial money could have been used better elsewhere.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'Once Upon a Time': 17 Moments of Dating, Darkness and Blackmail from 'The Apprentice'
- 'RHONYC': Bethenny Frankel is Officially Returning for Season 7
- 'Gotham' Interview: Donal Logue Says Harvey Bullock Can Save the Day in 'a Big Way'
- 'Sleepy Hollow' Interview: Mark Goffman and Sakina Jaffrey on a Mid-Season Surprise and the Apocalypse
- 'Dancing with the Stars' Predictions: Who Will Go Home in Week 6?
- More From BuddyTV
- S.H.I.E.L.D. @ PaleyFest: Mockingbird's Rousing Arrival, Ward vs. [Spoiler?], Groot Dreams and More Highlights
- Fox Orders Ryan Murphy-Produced Comedy-Horror Series Scream Queens
- The Originals' Charles Michael Davis on Marcel's New Crew, Future With Cami
- Pretty Little Liars Halloween Special: See What Gives Lucy Hale 'Chills'
- Ratings: Brooklyn, Good Wife and Revenge Rise, Resurrection Hits Low
- More From TVLine
- Kim Kardashian's Sexy Daytime Look: Backless and in Jorts
- Selena Gomez Stuns In Her Sexiest Photoshoot Yet
- Are Ellen DeGeneres, Melissa McCarthy and Lena Dunham the New Ghostbusters?
- Prince William and Kate Middleton's Due Date Revealed!
- Why Nicki Minaj Got Fired From Her Red Lobster Job
- More From ET