"It's always nice to see that the suburban world is a little artificial, as I might imagine," Batali observed, after Hines described the many fake aspects of her character Dallas. "I noticed that they added yet another opportunity to view it," he continued. "Last night at 9:30 they started the series again from the pilot, so on Tuesday nights at 9:30 you can view it and Wednesday nights at 8:30 for the original, right?"
"It was the coolest thing ... it was like, how does he hold the cart different than I do?" Fallon joked, as Batali demonstrated his cart-pushing runway walk. Batali enlisted Fallon as his shopping assistant, and Fallon ran around the store picking up things for him. Sent on a mission to find a grill-pan, Fallon went exploring, only to find an entire Mario Batali Cookware aisle. Jimmy made Batali go up to the counter and buy his own pan, while pointing out to the cashier that his friend's picture was on the packaging. Batali still had to pay full price.
Last week, the stars of the Food Network gathered to celebrate the unveiling of the holiday windows at Barney's New York. The theme this year was "Have a Foodie Holiday," and the tableaus included caricatures of food icons like Bobby Flay, Paula Deen, Emeril Lagasse, Mario Batali and more.
TV Squad was on hand to ask the Food Network stars what killer Thanksgiving side dish they were cooking this year. Plus, they revealed which chef they'd ask to cook their holiday meal.
Tonight he celebrates his first anniversary, and his guests will be Robert Pattinson (I'm sure they'll talk about this regular segment), '30 Rock's' Judah Friedlander, and chef Mario Batali. Note: Hall & Oates were supposed to perform on the show tonight, but they had to cancel due to the sudden death of their bassist T-Bone Wolk. Wolk was also the bassist for 'Saturday Night Live' over the years. Mario Batali will take their place, though I doubt he will be playing "Kiss On My List."
The 'Super Chef Battle: An Iron Chef America Event,' which NYC viewers couldn't watch because Food Network and HGTV programs are no longer being carried on Cablevision, will be rebroadcast 8 p.m. Sunday on WPIX-TV, Channel 11, in NYC and WTXX-TV, Channel 20, in Hartford, Conn., both free channels.
In this clip, Obama tells the assembled chefs the secret ingredient is anything grown in the White House garden, which includes an abundance of seasonal fruits and vegetables.
Watch the video after the jump.
First Lady Michelle Obama will reveal the secret ingredient on the January 3 special episode of Iron Chef America (I don't think it's the season premiere because we're in the middle of new episodes right now). There's no specifics yet on what the secret ingredient will be, but it is something that grows in the White House garden and ties in with the First Lady's "Healthy Kids Initiative" to get kids eating better and exercising. Beyond all that, this sounds like its going to be a great episode of the show. It will pit White House chef Cristeta Comerford and Bobby Flay against Mario Batali and Emeril Lagasse.
You know what I'd like to see as the secret ingredient on Iron Chef America? Ring Dings. Or how about Atomic Fireballs?
The way I see this, since Scripps owns the Food Network, the Cooking Channel will be sort of a Food Network annex. Food Network 2.0. Food Network, Two. In actuality, a lot of the programming on Fine Living now is connected to Food Network. Old Iron Chef episodes, Emeril LaGasse and Mario Batali and Wolfgang Puck ... all cooking shows that were once on Food Network.
Now that it's going to drop the Fine Living angle and concentrate on cooking, all the overflow from Food Network will have somewhere to go.
AskMen.com has released the list of the 49 most influential men of 2009 (not sure why it's 49 and not 50) and there are several TV people on the list, including FOX News anchor Shepard Smith, chef Mario Batali, and Seth MacFarlane.
But the number one person? The person who AskMen thinks is the most influential? He's from TV too, and he's actually fictional.
Therefore, you better believe that all that exposure on Food Network, Bravo, Travel Channel, Fine Living, BBC America, and Fox -- not to mention syndication and appearances on talk shows and demonstrations on the Today Show -- makes a big difference.
Fishbowl New York is reporting that negotiations between celebrity chef Emeril Lagasse and Food Network have gotten nowhere and he won't be returning to the cable channel. The last day of taping for his show is December 11, though reruns will continue on the network, probably forever.
First Sara Moulton, then Mario Batali, now Emeril. I can't say I'll be sorry to see him go though. I'm sure he's a nice guy, but his Emeril Live show is unwatchable. I mean, come on, a live studio audience and a band? That's just ridiculous. The audience has orgasms every time he mentions that he's going to put garlic into a recipe, and applauds when he adds alcohol. And his "oh yeah, babe" is even more annoying than his "bam!" I'm sure he'll pop up on TV some place else.
Who will be next to go? Alton Brown? Sandra Lee? Bobby Flay? Nah, I say all of those people stay on for a long time.
Update: Food Network e-mailed Serious Eats to say that only Emeril Live is ending. Lagasse will continue to do the audience and band-free Essence of Emeril on the network.
Paltrow, the star of Shakespeare in Love and the upcoming Iron Man movie, will be traveling to Europe this fall for a new cooking show exploring the usually overlooked world of Spanish cuisine.
- At 8, ABC has a new Ugly Betty, followed by new episodes of Grey's Anatomy and October Road.
- CBS has March Madness all night.
- FOX has a new Are You Smarter Than A Fifth Grader? at 8.
- The CW has a new Smallville at 8, then a new Supernatural.
- At 9, NBC has a new Scrubs, followed by new episodes of Andy Barker, P.I. and Raines.
- HGTV has a new Divine Design at 9.
- Also at 9: Mario Batali is the subject of a new Chefography on Food Network.
- At 10, Spike has a new Pros vs. Joes.
- TCM has Island in the Sky at 10.
- Showtime has a new Penn & Teller: Bullshit at 10, followed by a new This American Life.
- At 10:30, Comedy Central has a new Showbiz Show With David Spade.
Check your local TV listings for more.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- Best 'Glee' Quotes from 'The Hurt Locker, Part 2'
- 'NCIS' Episode 12.14 Photos: A Case Causes Tony to Flashback to His Days in Military School
- 'Grey's Anatomy': The 15 Most Bizarre Medical Cases
- 'Reign' Episode 2.13 Photos: Will Mary and Francis Reunite at the Winter's Ease Feast?
- 'Game of Thrones' Season 5 Photos
- More From BuddyTV
- TVLine Mixtape, Parenthood Edition: Your Fave Songs From All 6 Seasons
- Ratings: Shark Tank Slips, Dixie Drops, CBS and NBC Dramas Tick Down
- Pilots: CBS Adds David Shore/Bryan Cranston Drama, James Patterson Riff
- Pilots: ABC Orders Comedies About Johnny Knoxville, NBA Odd Couple, Genius Kids, Plus 4 Others
- Ground Floor Cancelled at TBS
- More From TVLine
- See the Time That Kim Kardashian and Kanye West Met President Obama
- Your Exclusive Puppy Bowl XI Preview: Live Scoring, Katty Furry & More
- Heidi Montag's Father Arrested on Child Sex Abuse Charges
- Zac Efron's Baby Photo Is the Most Adorable Thing Ever
- Stars Hit the 2015 Sundance Film Festival
- More From ET