There are many memories I have of MTV: watching Live Aid while working a double shift at a pizza place, 120 Minutes, those early days when they actually played music videos. But I don't remember Alan Hunter or Nina Blackwood talking about oral sex.
But they do over at Nerve! The two VJs, along with Mark Goodman and Downtown Julie Brown, give love and sex advice to younger people. Should you set the mood with music or go the silent route? What's the best song for a breakup? What happened when Alan Hunter got a hardon while interviewing a Hawaiian Tropic model and a bunch of frat boys pointed it out to him on national television?
For those of you who grew up on MTV in the 80s, this may fall into the "way too much information" category, but it's worth it to read Goodman and Blackwood use the phrase "suck it up," probably not even realizing the double meaning there.
MTV has decided to downplay tomorrow's silver anniversary celebration; according to this AP article chronicling the channel's seminal moments, they won't even mention it. I guess it's fitting, considering they stopped showing music videos when most of its current audience were in diapers. To them, the MTV of Martha Quinn, J.J. Jackson, Mark Goodman, and Nina Blackwood is a completely different channel than the one that currently is relying on Laguna Beach marathons. I'm sure sister channel VH1 will have something for their Gen X audience to satisfy their nostalgia jones, but I'm sure they'll stretch it into a five-part talking head show with Mo Rocca.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- Graceland's Serinda Swan Weighs In on Paige Hate, Unsexiest Sex Scene Ever
- Anthony Geary to General Hospital Fans: JK About That Retirement!
- Mindy Project Season 4 Twist: Mindy to Wed Big Bang Theory's Raj?!
- The CW Eyeing Dark Little Women Adaptation From NCIS Star
- Degrassi's Top 17 Couples, Ranked: Eclare vs. Fimogen and More
- More From TVLine
- Source: Ben Affleck's Former Nanny 'Tipped Off the Paparazzi' About Los Angeles Rendezvous
- Lena Dunham Gets a Running Coach: I Used to 'Run Like a Wounded Baby Pterodactyl'
- Britney Spears Flashes a Huge Smile While Doing a Perfect Split in a Tiny Bikini
- Mick Jagger's Son James Looks Just Like Him!
- Salma Hayek: Racism in America Is the 'Big Elephant in the Room'
- More From ET