mary j. blige
With Lauren Graham, Colin Quinn and Mary J. Blige sitting on the stage, Michael was outnumbered, and he knew it.
The issue was one of shopping. Michael hated it and didn't want to do it, but Dora wanted him to come with her and be supportive of how she liked to shop. Quinn backed Michael, though he took it further than even Michael probably was intending.
R&B star Mary J. Blige sat in as a guest judge, and she seemed to get along really well with the other judges. And of course, she definitely knows her music, not to mention what it's like to stand on a stage and sing for thousands of fans.
Ryan Seacrest also reminded us that not only was he born in Atlanta (they showed a picture that can't possibly be him, because it looks like someone's aunt), but three Idols came out of previous auditions there: Fantasia, Clay Aiken and Jennifer Hudson. On with the show!
"As so many of our fellow citizen struggle through tough times, we are called upon to help neighbors in need," Obama said. "And it's why, with our men and women in uniform serving far from home in harm's way, our fervent wish remains this season, and all seasons, let there be peace on Earth."
Watch the video after the jump.
Also in the news today: 'Dancing With the Stars' announces its next cast, while 'Good Morning America' books a popular comedian.
See more of today's top TV headlines after the jump.
But there's one guy of vital importance to the show who isn't so well known. Most of the time he stays in the background. But there wouldn't be any Idol music without him. He's Idol's inhouse musical director -- Rickey Minor.
Oh man, I've been patiently twiddling my thumbs for the last 3 hours until the finale aired on the West Coast, so I could finally post this. Taylor Hicks is our new American Idol, and I couldn't be happier. Well, I could be (sigh...Chris). But if I can't have Chris, then I'm happy with the Silver Fox. (I hate that nickname by the way. It makes me feel like I've got a crush on an old man. What's the opposite of being a pedophile? Is there a word for that? 'Cause I might have it.) They really took it down to the last minute too. I was biting my nails at 1 hour and 59 minutes, worried that my TiVo was about to pop up with the dreaded "Erase Now? or Save?" quandary. I felt like I was Mr. Eko on Lost, watching that damn clock. But right at the final seconds, Ryan said Taylor's name. Yes! The crazy windmill-dancing bastard pulled it off! I understand why Taylor's dad was crying, but why was David Hasselhoff?
Paris' wardrobe choices? Silly. Paula's jewelry? Weird. Taylor's dance moves? Silly weird. Another great night to be an American Idol fanatic! And when I say "great," I mean "freaking bizarre!" As far as musical talent goes, this was no musical standards/Rod Stewart needs a plug night.
But tonight was completely entertaining.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'Orphan Black' Postmortem: Co-Creators on [Spoiler's] Death, Team Hendrix's 'Suburban Madness' and More
- 'Orphan Black' Recap: Everyone Wants the Original Samples
- '20/20' Highlights from the Bruce Jenner Interview
- 'Revenge': Victoria Grayson's 10 Fiercest Moments
- 'The Amazing Race' Recap: Hot Tubs and Missing Shoes Confuse the Teams in Amsterdam
- More From BuddyTV
- Cecily Strong's Best Zingers From the White House Correspondents' Dinner
- Orphan Black Recap: Broken Boys
- Outlander Recap: Homecoming Sting
- NCIS: Los Angeles Sneak Peek: Deeks and Kensi Are Mistaken for [Spoiler]
- Revenge Goes Pink, The Goldbergs Find 'Somebody to Love' and More TV Tunes
- More From TVLine
- Bruce Jenner's Family Show Their Support on Social Media
- Star Sightings April 2015
- Internal Investigation Into Brian Williams Finds At Least 11 More Reporting 'Embellishments'
- Ariana Grande & Lea Michele Mess Around on 'Scream Queens' Set
- EXCLUSIVE: Bruce Jenner's Second Wife Linda Thompson Commends ABC Interview
- More From ET