merv griffin entertainment
Now ABC is taking another chance on giving people a chance to win fabulous cash and/or prizes by picking up a game show from Russia called What? Where? When?.
Game show powerhouse Merv Griffin Entertainment is behind the move and will most likely rename the show The Six. It's also fully interactive with the audience since it gives viewers the chance to win a prize. If ABC manages to produce a decent game show for a change, that would be enough of a prize for me.
Variety is reporting that the actor/producer has just scored a pilot order from Fox to produce a skit comedy show entitled 'Inside Jokes' with Merv Griffin Entertainment.
Already in production, the show targets the same prime time spot that Fox's 'In Living Color' ruled for many seasons in the '90s; and with the network's 'Mad TV' no longer on the airwaves, it looks like 'Inside Jokes' -- which is actually a working title -- will be the only game in town.
Will 'Inside Jokes' be the next 'Saturday Night Live'? Not exactly. "We are reinterpreting the genre," says Roy Bank, who also serves as exec producer, along side Connolly and Brunetti. "There's a troupe of actors but it's not as sketchy as a lot of those shows. It's pure comedy, straight jokes. Imagine cutting up a sitcom in a million different pieces. It's like a clip show."
My knowledge of law and patents never got past reruns of L.A. Law, so I have no idea if this guy from New Jersey has a case or not.
The gentleman claims that he approached reps from Merv Griffin's company back in 2001 and pitched them the idea for a game show based on crossword puzzles. He says he even came up with the idea of the game's "twist" where you can take the other person's spot. He also patented the game. Now he has filed a lawsuit in Los Angeles Superior Court that says Merv's company took his idea and made the syndicated game show Merv Griffin's Crosswords (a show that I've tried and tried to get into but haven't been able to - though "Ty Treadway" is one of the great game show names of all-time though).
I remember reading an interview with Griffin where he said that he had been working on the idea for a crossword puzzle game show for years. Griffin, as you know, created Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy!
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'Bones' Episode 10.9 Photos: Does Brennan Have a Problem with Aubrey?
- 7 Thanksgiving Episodes To Escape Your Family Drama -- Available to Stream Now
- The 25 Best Dances from 'Dancing with the Stars' Season 19
- 'Hart of Dixie' Season 4 Premiere Photos: All About Zoe and Wade
- 'The Voice' Live Blog Results: The Live Top 10 Eliminations
- More From BuddyTV
- Glee Season 6 First Look: Dramatic New Poster Bids Farewell to McKinley
- Once Upon a Time Photos: Kissing, Canoodling and Blackbeard Vs.... Anna?
- Reese Witherspoon and Nicole Kidman to Star in Big Little Lies Limited Series; David E. Kelley to Serve as Writer/Showrunner
- Supernatural Sneak Peek: Meet the Winchesters' Witchy New Big Bad
- TVLine Items: POI Spies Fringe Alum, Once Princess to Badlands and More
- More From TVLine
- Ariana Grande's Classy Response to Bette Midler: ‘Always A Fan No Matter What'
- Melissa McCarthy Reveals She Thought She'd Make a Living as a Designer… Not an Actress
- Why Eva Mendes and Ryan Gosling Named Their Daughter Esmeralda Amada
- Gwyneth Paltrow vs. Martha Stewart: Whose Dessert Diss Tastes Best? We Baked Both to Find Out!
- Jennifer Lawrence Gushes About Her 'Best Friend' Liam Hemsworth
- More From ET