merv griffin entertainment
Now ABC is taking another chance on giving people a chance to win fabulous cash and/or prizes by picking up a game show from Russia called What? Where? When?.
Game show powerhouse Merv Griffin Entertainment is behind the move and will most likely rename the show The Six. It's also fully interactive with the audience since it gives viewers the chance to win a prize. If ABC manages to produce a decent game show for a change, that would be enough of a prize for me.
Variety is reporting that the actor/producer has just scored a pilot order from Fox to produce a skit comedy show entitled 'Inside Jokes' with Merv Griffin Entertainment.
Already in production, the show targets the same prime time spot that Fox's 'In Living Color' ruled for many seasons in the '90s; and with the network's 'Mad TV' no longer on the airwaves, it looks like 'Inside Jokes' -- which is actually a working title -- will be the only game in town.
Will 'Inside Jokes' be the next 'Saturday Night Live'? Not exactly. "We are reinterpreting the genre," says Roy Bank, who also serves as exec producer, along side Connolly and Brunetti. "There's a troupe of actors but it's not as sketchy as a lot of those shows. It's pure comedy, straight jokes. Imagine cutting up a sitcom in a million different pieces. It's like a clip show."
My knowledge of law and patents never got past reruns of L.A. Law, so I have no idea if this guy from New Jersey has a case or not.
The gentleman claims that he approached reps from Merv Griffin's company back in 2001 and pitched them the idea for a game show based on crossword puzzles. He says he even came up with the idea of the game's "twist" where you can take the other person's spot. He also patented the game. Now he has filed a lawsuit in Los Angeles Superior Court that says Merv's company took his idea and made the syndicated game show Merv Griffin's Crosswords (a show that I've tried and tried to get into but haven't been able to - though "Ty Treadway" is one of the great game show names of all-time though).
I remember reading an interview with Griffin where he said that he had been working on the idea for a crossword puzzle game show for years. Griffin, as you know, created Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy!
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- Summer Cookout: Recipes from Our Favorite Cooking Shows
- From Kelly to Candice: Ranking the 'American Idol' Winners
- 'The Vampire Diaries' Rankings: Who Was the Baddest Character in Season 4?
- 'American Idol': Ranking the Winners' Coronation Songs
- 'How I Met Your Mother' Promotes Cristin Milioti to Series Regular
- More From BuddyTV
- 'American Idol' runner-up Kree Harrison to make her Grand Ole Opry debut on June 4
- Mariah Carey did not lip-sync on 'American Idol,' according to her rep
- TV ratings: 'Nikita' finale rises slightly while 'Shark Tank' dominates a night of news and reruns
- 'Doctor Who' Season 7 finale: Watch Matt Smith, Jenna-Louise Coleman introduce 'Name of the Doctor' and the prequel episode
- 'The Greatest Event in Television History': Adam Scott and Amy Poehler to recreate 'Hart to Hart'
- More From Zap2it
- What to Watch This Weekend: The Doctor Is Out, Ben Affleck on SNL, Simpsons Finale and More
- Exclusive First Look: The Goodwin Games Cast Takes Part in a Violent Beatdown!
- TVLine's Performer of the Week: Nikita's Maggie Q
- Exclusive First Look: AMC's New Showville Puts Spotlight on Townie Talent
- Mike & Molly Creator Steps Down as Showrunner
- More From TVLine