merv griffins crosswords
My knowledge of law and patents never got past reruns of L.A. Law, so I have no idea if this guy from New Jersey has a case or not.
The gentleman claims that he approached reps from Merv Griffin's company back in 2001 and pitched them the idea for a game show based on crossword puzzles. He says he even came up with the idea of the game's "twist" where you can take the other person's spot. He also patented the game. Now he has filed a lawsuit in Los Angeles Superior Court that says Merv's company took his idea and made the syndicated game show Merv Griffin's Crosswords (a show that I've tried and tried to get into but haven't been able to - though "Ty Treadway" is one of the great game show names of all-time though).
I remember reading an interview with Griffin where he said that he had been working on the idea for a crossword puzzle game show for years. Griffin, as you know, created Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy!
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- Justin Bieber Roast: Ron Burgundy, Monkey Lovin' and 13 Other Highlights
- Castle Hints More at Beckett's Future — Plus: Watch RySpo 'Get Lucky'
- Dancing With the Stars Week 3 Results: Did the Right Couple Go Home?
- The Voice Recap: TKO and Sympathy
- Arrow/Flash Spinoff Taps Doctor Who Alum as Time Traveler Rip Hunter
- More From TVLine
- FLASHBACK: ‘Tommy Boy' Turns 20! Behind the Scenes With Chris Farley and David Spade
- Zayn Malik's First Solo Song Is Out (and Some One Direction Fans Aren't Happy)
- Helen Mirren Wants to Join 'Fast & Furious' Franchise: 'Vin, Get Your Act Together!'
- FLASHBACK: 22-Year-Old Celine Dion Admires Madonna, Mariah and Whitney
- 'DWTS' Season 20: Week 3 Heats Up With Latin Night!
- More From ET