Sony Pictures and Comcast have teamed up to launch an on-demand network focused on horror films. Being someone who loves horror movies, I was excited about this news initially, but the more you read about it the less exciting this venture seems. The network, which will launch by Halloween and has no name as of yet, will be dedicated mostly to re-airing films from the vaults of Sony and MGM. That's fine and all, but most horror fans probably already own the movies in some capacity anyway. Sony and Comcast are aware of this, so they're hoping to sweeten the deal by doing a multi-platform launch, debuting the channel online at the same time it debuts on television (wireless will come later). The online portion of the new network will feature DVD-like extras for the real horror connoisseurs. One of the proposed wireless additions is "horror ringtones," which could actually be pretty cool. I'd love to have a ringtone of Freddy saying, "I'm your boyfriend now!" a la the first Nightmare on Elm Street. I guess I'm just weird that way.
Joseph Barbera returning to Tom and Jerry to direct a brand new short got me thinking about all my favorite episodes of Tom and Jerry from the past. The famous duo starred in a ton of cartoons together, so I had to leave a few out. At any rate, here's five of my faves, friends. Grab a stick of dynamite and join in the fun:
On Friday, January 27 at 9 p.m., Cartoon Network will debut a brand new Tom and Jerry short, titled "The Karateguard." The short, directed by Joseph "I Thought He Was Dead" Barbera, will pit Jerry the Mouse against the tenacious Tom... well, it's a Tom and Jerry cartoon for crying out loud, they pretty much all follow the same basic plot. Tom and Jerry, like most cartoons from that era, were created as theatrical shorts to be shown before MGM films (much like Looney Tunes and Merry Melodies were shown before Warner Brothers films). Barbera created the cat and mouse duo sixty-five years ago with the late William Hanna.
[via Cartoon Brew]
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- ABC Family, HBO and MTV Lead GLAAD's Annual LGBT Inclusion Study; CW Has No Regular LGBT Characters
- MTV's Happyland: Is New Comedy Worth the Price of Admission?
- Sons of Anarchy Recap: Risky Business
- The Voice Recap: The Curious Case of Un-Pushed Buttons [Updated]
- The Mindy Project Recap: Evasive Maneuvers
- More From TVLine
- Neil Patrick Harris Shares His Beautiful Wedding Pics On 'Late Show'
- Who Will Lorde Choose for the 'Mockingjay' Soundtrack? 4 Predictions
- Ryan Hansen Reveals Why All 'Veronica Mars' Fans Should Be Watching 'Play It Again Dick'
- Jeff Goldblum Stars In This Super-Crazy Commercial For Light Bulbs
- TV's No. 1 Male Meets His Match on 'NCIS'
- More From ET