Sony Pictures and Comcast have teamed up to launch an on-demand network focused on horror films. Being someone who loves horror movies, I was excited about this news initially, but the more you read about it the less exciting this venture seems. The network, which will launch by Halloween and has no name as of yet, will be dedicated mostly to re-airing films from the vaults of Sony and MGM. That's fine and all, but most horror fans probably already own the movies in some capacity anyway. Sony and Comcast are aware of this, so they're hoping to sweeten the deal by doing a multi-platform launch, debuting the channel online at the same time it debuts on television (wireless will come later). The online portion of the new network will feature DVD-like extras for the real horror connoisseurs. One of the proposed wireless additions is "horror ringtones," which could actually be pretty cool. I'd love to have a ringtone of Freddy saying, "I'm your boyfriend now!" a la the first Nightmare on Elm Street. I guess I'm just weird that way.
Joseph Barbera returning to Tom and Jerry to direct a brand new short got me thinking about all my favorite episodes of Tom and Jerry from the past. The famous duo starred in a ton of cartoons together, so I had to leave a few out. At any rate, here's five of my faves, friends. Grab a stick of dynamite and join in the fun:
On Friday, January 27 at 9 p.m., Cartoon Network will debut a brand new Tom and Jerry short, titled "The Karateguard." The short, directed by Joseph "I Thought He Was Dead" Barbera, will pit Jerry the Mouse against the tenacious Tom... well, it's a Tom and Jerry cartoon for crying out loud, they pretty much all follow the same basic plot. Tom and Jerry, like most cartoons from that era, were created as theatrical shorts to be shown before MGM films (much like Looney Tunes and Merry Melodies were shown before Warner Brothers films). Barbera created the cat and mouse duo sixty-five years ago with the late William Hanna.
[via Cartoon Brew]
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'Wayward Pines' Interview: M. Night Shyamalan on Shocking Death and Darker Turn
- 'The Bachelor' Season 11 Week 2 Photos: Punchlines and Punches
- 'Survivor: Worlds Apart': Ranking the 13 Most Shocking Tribal Councils from Season 30
- 'The Flash': The 10 Most Villainous Moments of Season 1
- More From BuddyTV
- Sunday Night Football, Empire Top Ratings for 2014-15 Season; NCIS and Big Bang Are Most Watched
- Ratings: Red Nose Day Draws Small Crowd, Wayward Pines Rises
- 19 Kids and Counting: Should TLC Cancel the Series in the Wake of Josh Duggar Sex Abuse Confession?
- Is Supergirl the Earliest Pilot Leak Ever?
- Wet Hot American Summer First Look: The Camp Staff Reports for Duty
- More From TVLine
- Jordin Sparks Celebrates Her Stretch Marks, Gives Them a Cute Name
- A Day in the Life of Jennifer Aniston on Instagram
- Jessica Simpson Celebrates 'Sexiest Day' of Her Life: Meeting Husband Eric Johnson
- Why Andy Cohen Initially Didn't Want Bethenny Frankel or Lisa Rinna on ‘Real Housewives'
- Star Sightings May 2015
- More From ET