mighty morphin power rangers
Haim Saban, the original producer of the 'Power Rangers' franchise in the 1990s, has re-acquired the property from the Walt Disney Company and will be bringing it over to rival Nickelodeon starting next year, according to the NY Times.
The history of the 'Power Rangers' franchise in the United States is a long one. Originally produced by Saban and his Saban Entertainment, 'Power Rangers' premiered in 1993 on the FOX Kids programming slate as the very popular 'Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers.' For the next eight years, they would go through many other variations, including 'Mighty Morphin Alien Rangers,' 'Power Rangers: Turbo' and 'Power Rangers: Lightspeed Rescue,' and would appear on the FOX Saturday morning schedule and daily on FOX Family.
Jason David Frank, also known as the Green Ranger on the long running children's show, has signed with a sports entertainment company and will soon make his grand debut in mixed martial arts fighting.
Apparently, he's no stranger to scrappin'. According to an interview with his new employer Suckerpunch Entertainment, he's been training in martial arts since he was 12, created his own form of fighting and most notably, wielded the long sought after "Dragon Shield." That should come in handy if his opponent can shoot energy beams.
Taking an American superhero and blending him with the traditional motifs of Japanese children's TV produces a bizarre mix -- like tossing a hot dog and sushi in a blender set to frappe.
Rather than take on the Green Goblin or Electro, The Land of the Rising Sun's version of Peter Parker defends precocious Japanese kids from guys in rubber suits, ala Mighty Morphin Power Rangers.
It turns out he was right. The truth is told on Saturday mornings.
Haim Saban, one of the founders of Saban Entertainment and creator of kids shows such as the Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers, has become one of the principal players in a Congressional scandal involving such high-profile names as U.S. Rep. Jane Harman, former Attorney General Alberto Gonzales and House Speaker Nancy Pelosi.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'The Bachelor' Roundup: Chris Soules' First Interview as The Bachelor, Juan Pablo Galavis' Advice and More
- 'The Strain' Recap: One Friend is Lost, Another is Gained
- 'Kardashians' Roundup: Kendall Drops Last Name, Brody Feels 'Played' by Kim and More
- 'Big Brother 16' Recap: Another Week of Bomb Squad Domination
- 'Big Brother 16' Spoilers: Who Won the Week 10 Power of Veto?
- More From BuddyTV
- Falling Skies Season 4 Finale Recap: Over the Moon
- Once Upon a Time First Look: Frozen's Elsa Gets Cold Shoulder in Storybrooke
- Quotes of the Week from General Hospital, Bachelor in Paradise, Masters of Sex, Project Runway and More
- Sons of Anarchy Boss on Lea Michele's 'Frumpy, Makeup-Free' Season 7 Guest Stint: 'She Completely Went There'
- Saved by the Bell's Best Episodes: Rockumentary, 'Jessie's Song,' a Perfect Prom Picnic and 10 Others
- More From TVLine