mighty morphin power rangers
Haim Saban, the original producer of the 'Power Rangers' franchise in the 1990s, has re-acquired the property from the Walt Disney Company and will be bringing it over to rival Nickelodeon starting next year, according to the NY Times.
The history of the 'Power Rangers' franchise in the United States is a long one. Originally produced by Saban and his Saban Entertainment, 'Power Rangers' premiered in 1993 on the FOX Kids programming slate as the very popular 'Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers.' For the next eight years, they would go through many other variations, including 'Mighty Morphin Alien Rangers,' 'Power Rangers: Turbo' and 'Power Rangers: Lightspeed Rescue,' and would appear on the FOX Saturday morning schedule and daily on FOX Family.
Jason David Frank, also known as the Green Ranger on the long running children's show, has signed with a sports entertainment company and will soon make his grand debut in mixed martial arts fighting.
Apparently, he's no stranger to scrappin'. According to an interview with his new employer Suckerpunch Entertainment, he's been training in martial arts since he was 12, created his own form of fighting and most notably, wielded the long sought after "Dragon Shield." That should come in handy if his opponent can shoot energy beams.
Taking an American superhero and blending him with the traditional motifs of Japanese children's TV produces a bizarre mix -- like tossing a hot dog and sushi in a blender set to frappe.
Rather than take on the Green Goblin or Electro, The Land of the Rising Sun's version of Peter Parker defends precocious Japanese kids from guys in rubber suits, ala Mighty Morphin Power Rangers.
It turns out he was right. The truth is told on Saturday mornings.
Haim Saban, one of the founders of Saban Entertainment and creator of kids shows such as the Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers, has become one of the principal players in a Congressional scandal involving such high-profile names as U.S. Rep. Jane Harman, former Attorney General Alberto Gonzales and House Speaker Nancy Pelosi.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'Arrow': 17 Truths, Secrets, Lies and Surprises from 'Corto Maltese'
- 'Bones': 7 Reasons Why Aubrey Kicks Ass and Fits Right In
- 'Project Runway' Finale Prediction: Who Will Win Season 13?
- 'Bachelor' Roundup: Andi and Josh Invite Exes to Wedding, Desiree and Chris Set the Date
- 'Kardashians' Roundup: Bruce's Rumored Girlfriend, Kris' Thoughts on Bruce and More
- More From BuddyTV
- Sons of Anarchy: Gemma Teller Is a Mass Murderer — and We Have Proof
- House of Lies Recruits Mary McCormack as Marty's Potential Savior
- The Late Late Show With James Corden Gets March Premiere Date
- Grey's Anatomy Scoop: Kelly McCreary Promoted to Series Regular
- Once Upon a Time Supersizes November Sweeps Episode
- More From TVLine
- Bette Midler Covers TLC's 'Waterfalls'
- TLC 'Reassessing' Future of 'Honey Boo Boo' After Child Molestation Allegations Surface
- Zach Galifianakis Asks Brad Pitt About Jennifer Aniston's 'Friends' on 'Between Two Ferns'
- Zelda Williams Gets New Tattoo In Memory of Father Robin Williams
- Kristen Stewart Says She's Taking a Break from Acting, Lays Out Next Plan
- More From ET