Our pals over at AOL Radio are re-launching with a new and improved listening experience today, powered by Slacker, and one of the stations we're most looking forward to is TV Tunes. Obviously. They're playing theme songs from popular shows, past and present, 24 hours a day, now with 50% fewer commercial interruptions ... if only real TV was like that.
It got us thinking about our own favorite TV theme songs (including new ones like 'New Girl' on Fox. "Who's that girl? It's Jess!" ... and we adore her), which got us going a ways back in the old AOL TV archives for these gems: Our reader picks for the Best TV Theme Songs. Ever.
Take a look and tell us if you agree with this classic-filled top 10 ...
Graves' portrayal of Phelps, featuring those famous scenes in which he received his mission instructions from a tape that "will self-destruct in five seconds,' was so iconic that some might be surprised to learn that he joined the cast in the series' second season, replacing Steven Hill as team leader Dan Briggs. He remained with the show for the next seven seasons.
The complete 'Mission: Impossible" series is available on DVD. Here are three of the best episodes featuring Jim Phelps.
He was team leader Jim Phelps on 'Mission: Impossible' in the '60s and also had a memorable role as the pilot Captain Oveur in the first two 'Airplane' movies in the '80s. He was also the host of A&E's 'Biography' for ten years and appeared in several commercials ("I'm Peter Graves..."). You might even know him from voice work he did on 'American Dad.' He had a recurring role on '7th Heaven' and guest roles on 'Cold Case,' 'House,' 'Diagnosis: Murder,' 'The Love Boat,' 'Fantasy Island,' and other shows.
Graves wasn't happy about Phelps being the bad guy in the big-screen 'Mission: Impossible' movie but was actually going to film a cameo in the fourth film in the franchise.
Graves was the brother of another TV icon, 'Gunsmoke's' James Arness. After the jump, the opening to 'Mission: Impossible.'
I know, I know, you're thinking, those are the only two choices I get, Happy Days and Gilligan's Island? Yes, according to this poll over at AOL Television. For the past several weeks they've pit various TV show theme songs against each other in a tournament, and the two finalists, for some reason, are Happy Days theme and the Gilligan's Island theme.
Now, it seems like these aren't the "best" theme songs, just the ones that readers and TV fans thought were the most iconic, or maybe it's the fact that they both have lyrics and that's what readers were looking for?
If you loved The Rockford Files and you own the season sets, you'll probably want to buy Volume 1 of the movies (four in this batch) that is being released tomorrow. They weren't as good as the series, of course (sort of like the Spenser: For Hire movies that Robert Urich did after that series ended), but they're actually pretty good.
And season 6 of Kate & Allie is out. That reminds me: I still have to get season 5.
- Afro Samurai - Complete Murder Sessions
- The Clone Wars - Season 1
- Doctor Who - The War Games and The Black Guardian Trilogy
- Edge of Darkness - The Complete BBC Series
Viewers were also into grittier fare like realistic cop dramas ('Ironside,' 'Adam-12') and war action series ('12 O'Clock High,' 'Combat!'), though there was plenty of classic sitcom fun on the airwaves, too, from 'The Andy Griffith Show' and 'The Dick Van Dyke Show' to 'Get Smart' and 'My Three Sons.'
Take a look at our picks of the decade's best and let us know if we got it right. -- By Kimberly Potts
While this off-network summer season has reached a fevered pitch after last with the return of Mad Men, not to be overlooked is that other cable shows have also been delivering the goods. Shows like Burn Notice and Leverage, for instance. Regarding Leverage, there's good news to report. TNT will air two extra Leverage episodes in the weeks ahead.
Question: how many freakin' versions of the original Star Trek are there on DVD? It seems like there's a new released every six months. And the funny thing? I bet hardcore Trek fans will buy all of them.
(Note: the Frost/Nixon set is not the Ron Howard movie, it's the original interviews between the two men.)
- American Dad - Vol. 4
- Fallen Angel - Compete Miniseries
- Frost/Nixon - Complete Interviews
But AOL TV's picks of the top TV dramas include the most brilliant doctors and lawyers, the angst-iest teens, sci-fi series that transcend their genre molds, family dramas that both warm and break your heart, terrorist- and mobster-fighting heroes ... and a show that combined the best of family and gangster drama into one unforgettable series.
Click through to see all 50 of the best TV dramas of all time.
On September 21, the night ABC broadcasts the big anniversary of the Primetime Emmys, producer Ken Ehrlich has tapped balladeer Groban for a four-minute medley of TV themes. The mind reels with the possibilities of how many memorable melodies he can fit into 240 seconds.
Some choices seem obvious: Cheers (where everybody knows your name), The Jeffersons (movin' on up to the big time), The Beverly Hillbillies (black gold, Texas T), The Flintstones (they're a modern stone-aged family).
Like I said, the possibilities are vast, and the promise of a something hilarious is sure fire.
(S02E05) "Sammy's gettin' some hammy tonight." - Sam Axe
How great was it seeing Michael and Fi still sitting in that car? I like to imagine that they were sitting there for an entire week while we waited for the new episode.
Not that I didn't enjoy Michael's how-to on exposing covert security but I feel bad for the delivery guy. As if it isn't bad enough to get to the delivery and realize you've been pranked, this poor guy is also going to get the crap beaten out of him. No wonder Michael helps everyone he meets. He has a lot of bad karma to make up for.
"What is this channel that plays all these old shows I remember as a kid?" I asked the TV Gods.
"It's AmericanLife," they replied. "They feature classic family shows aimed at Baby Boomers -- shows like Remington Steele, The Courtship of Eddie's Father, Lost in Space, and Welcome Back, Kotter."
Ok, the TV Gods didn't really say that. I looked it up on the AmericanLife Web site, not to be confused with Showtime's This American Life, the fab documentary series hosted by Ira Glass.
Here are the new TV DVDs, in stores tomorrow.
- American Idol - Season 6 Finale
- The Chase - Season 1
- Drawn Together - Season 3 Uncensored
- Galaxy Rangers - The Collection: Vol. 1
- Garfield and His Friends - A Cat and His Nerd
- The Incredible Hulk Returns and The Trial of The Incredible Hulk
- Lovejoy - Season 3
- The Magnificent Seven - Complete Series
- Mission: Impossible - Season 4
- The Rat Patrol - Complete Series
- Saturday Night Live - Season 3
- Sinatra (mini-series)
- Stargate: Infinity - Complete Series
- Two and a Half Men - Season 3
Here are the new TV DVDs, in stores tomorrow:
- The Batman - Season 4
- Bozo's Big Top - Collection 2
- BraveStarr - Vol. 1
- CSI - Season 7
- The Care Bears - 25 Years of Caring
- Chappelle's Show - Series Collection
- Charles in Charge - Season 2
- The Doris Day Show - Season 5 and Doris Day Today
- Dr. Katz, Professional Therapist - Complete Series
- Inside the Actor's Studio - Johnny Depp
- Little Britain - Abroad and Complete Collection
- Love, American Style - Season 1, Vol. 1
- Man with a Camera - Complete Collection
- Mission: Impossible - Season 3
- The Naked Brothers Band - Battle of the Bands
- Queer As Folk - Complete Series
- Star Trek - Season 1 HD
- Tales of Tomorrow - Vol. 3
- Teen Titans - Season 4
- The Tudors - Season 1 (Canada)
- The Wild, Wild West - Season 3
New TV DVDs, in stores tomorrow.
- Chappelle's Show - Best Of
- CHiPs - Season 1
- The Cosby Show - Seasons 3 and 4
- Dark Angel - Seasons 1 and 2 (Thin)
- The Dead Zone - Season 5
- Doctor Who - Stories 115, 116 and 117
- The Fall Guy - Season 1, Volumes 1 and 2 and also a Season 1 set
- The Henry Rollins Show - Season 1
- Hex - Season 1
- Hogan's Heroes - Season 6
- Mission: Impossible - Season 2
- The Outer Limits - Vol. 1
- Rescue Me - Season 3
- Robin Hood - Season 1
- Seinfeld - Season 8
- SpongeBob SquarePants - Bikini Bottom Adventures
- Survivorman - Survivorman
- The Tonight Show with Johnny Carson - Best of Standup Comedians and The King of Late Night
- Wait Till Your Father Gets Home - Season 1
- What's New Scooby Doo? - Season 2
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'Glee' sneaks a sweet Cory Monteith tribute into Nationals episode 'City of Angels'
- 'Once Upon a Time' first look photos: See the Wicked Witch's Storybrooke alter ego Zelena
- Shantel VanSanten cast in 'Messengers,' aka The CW reunites 'One Tree Hill's' Clay and Quinn (kind of)
- 'Teen Wolf' Season 3, episode 23 promo: 'Someone's about to die' in 'Insatiable'
- Amazon orders 'The After,''Transparent,' more pilots to series: Report
- More From Zap2it