Enter the UFC. "You got to be able to box, jiu-jitsu," she said excitedly. "It's wrestling, it's on the ground."
But don't look for Pressly to train up to get into the ring any time soon. When Handler asked her if she'd ever been in a fight with a girl, Pressly admitted that she had, but dismissed it. "Yeah, but when I was 17," she said. For now, at least, she'll stick to acting.
Jason David Frank, also known as the Green Ranger on the long running children's show, has signed with a sports entertainment company and will soon make his grand debut in mixed martial arts fighting.
Apparently, he's no stranger to scrappin'. According to an interview with his new employer Suckerpunch Entertainment, he's been training in martial arts since he was 12, created his own form of fighting and most notably, wielded the long sought after "Dragon Shield." That should come in handy if his opponent can shoot energy beams.
Well, did you watch it? Last night CBS boldly went where no network has gone before... and it kind of sucked. That's too bad. As someone who counts himself as a fan of MMA, I had high hopes for the big debut. But then, I knew going in that it was an iffy proposition. They try hard, but the Elite XC is still far from the cream of the MMA crop. For the prime time debut, it really would have been nice if this could have been a big UFC event. Heck, even the WEC with that Uriah Faber vs Jens Pulver (VS tonight at 6PM PST) match would have been preferable.
Despite the lack of big name talent, the show still had a shot. Great fights can make up for a lot of shortcomings, and this one had a lot of them to be made up for. To start, the production left a lot to be desired. For example, if you are promising the fans big time fighting, get to it already. It took a full 25 minutes before the first match started. Worse than that, given the way the first two matches played out, fans were left with just over two minutes of actual fighting in the first hour of the show. I was left thinking that the most exciting thing about the first hour was the commercial for Street Fighter IV. Not a good sign.
CBS Executive Chairman, Sumner Redstone, was asked on Wednesday for his thoughts on the four MMA events scheduled to air on the network as a result of their partnership with Elite Xtreme Combat. Now, if Sumner just said he's not a fan, or he didn't think it was right for the network, I could probably just agree to disagree with him. My issue with his comments, as reported by Reuters, come from the reference that airing the sport on free, broadcast TV, is not socially responsible.
Seriously? Does he watch the network? We all know what would be plugging those open holes in the lineup if it wasn't for the appearance of Kimbo Slice and Gina Carano (American Gladiators, pictured). Yes, another heaping helping of CSI:X reruns, possibly featuring psychopaths that poison/stab/shoot/strangle/etc their victims. If your argument is that airing fictional murderers committing heinous, bloody, crimes is somehow taking the moral high ground when compared to MMA, I'm really not buying it. For those of you interested in some Saturday night MMA, I've attached the press release, with the fight card, after the jump.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'American Horror Story: Coven': 17 Shocking Moments from 'The Sacred Taking'
- Best 'Arrow' Quotes from 'The Scientist'
- 'Arrow' Season 2 Fall Finale Photos: Roy in Trouble
- 'Nashville': 18 Surprising Moments from 'I'm Tired of Pretending'
- 'Grey's Anatomy' Episode 10.12 Photos: April's Wedding
- More From BuddyTV
- 'Once Upon a Time' adds 'Lost's' Rebecca Mader; Taylor Swift set for Grammy noms concert
- 'Ground Floor's' John C. McGinley: Skylar Astin 'is very similar to' Zach Braff
- 'Arrow' GIFs: 10 reasons why it's the best show on TV
- AMC announces 'The Walking Dead,''Breaking Bad' TV marathons
- 'Sons of Anarchy' - 'A Mother's Work' photos: It all ends at the jury table
- More From Zap2it
- The Voice Exclusive Outtakes: Fart Jokes, Saved by the Bell Threats and…Xtina Basketball Boasts?
- It's Official: Dianna Agron Returns to Glee
- Matt's Inside Line: Scoop on Once, New Girl, H50, Haven, Arrow, S.H.I.E.L.D, Mentalist, Reign & More
- American Idol Exclusive Season 13 Promo Video: There Will Be Guitars
- TVLine Items: Heather Morris Returns for Glee's 100th, Southland Vet Cops Beast-ly Gig and More!
- More From TVLine