I'm not usually a big fan of these DVD box sets that take one genre and give you a variety of various series episodes (such as the sets that have a bunch of TV westerns in them). But the Saturday Morning Cartoon sets look like fun. The 1960s set includes The Flintstones, The Jetsons, Top Cat, Secret Squirrel, Atom Ant, and Quick Draw McGraw, while the 1970s set includes Josie & The Pussycats, Speed Buggy, the Batman/Tarzan Adventure Hour, and Hong Kong Phooey. OK, the 60s set is much better than the 70s set. And the 70s set for some reason also includes The Jetsons, which is odd (it ran in 1962). Still, both sets look good.
- The Closer - Season 4
- Designing Women - Season 1
- Gangland - Season 3
- Gunsmoke - Season 3, Vol. 2
- Jeeves & Wooster - Complete Series
But AOL TV's picks of the top TV dramas include the most brilliant doctors and lawyers, the angst-iest teens, sci-fi series that transcend their genre molds, family dramas that both warm and break your heart, terrorist- and mobster-fighting heroes ... and a show that combined the best of family and gangster drama into one unforgettable series.
Click through to see all 50 of the best TV dramas of all time.
Welcome to TV Squad Lists (formerly 'The Five'), a feature where each blogger has a chance to list his or her own rundown of things in television that stand out from the rest, both good and bad.
A couple of other bloggers have made lists concerning movies that have been made into TV shows and vice versa. There's The Top 10 Movies Based on TV Shows, The Top 5 Shows That are Better than the Movie, Four Small Screen to Big Screen Flops and AOL's own list. Here is my effort. Enjoy.
1. The Avengers: I tried to sit through this move twice and couldn't do it either time. If anyone can explain the plot to me, they can have my job. This movie is the exact opposite of the TV show. Boring, unoriginal, ignorant and unpleasant to watch.
2. Lost in Space: After the cameos by the surviving original cast members, stop watching. Since when is Dr. smith a psycho? I know Heather Graham is hot, but why is Don West more interested in getting laid than getting home? And what is up with the stupid CGI alien? I'd rather see a monkey with Spock ears.
Spelling, father of Tori Spelling, suffered a stroke on June 18, and died from complications from the stroke.
Spelling was the producer of several classic TV shows over the past three or so decades, including Dynasty, Charlie's Angels, Love Boat, Fantasy Island, Starsky & Hutch, Hart to Hart, T.J. Hooker, and 7th Heaven. And somewhat more recently, Beverly Hills 90210, Melrose Place and Charmed.
A lot of people don't know that Spelling actually started as an actor. That's him in the classic I Love Lucy episode "Tennessee Bound," playing the gas station attendant the gang encounters.
Franz was a character actor for several decades, appearing in such movies as Sands of Iwo Jima, Hellcats of the Navy, The Caine Mutiny (as the narrator), Invaders From Mars, and Abbott and Costello Meet The Invisible Man. But he was also a familiar face on the small screen too, appearing in everything from Perry Mason, Mission: Impossible, McCloud and Rawhide to Mod Squad, The Waltons, Mannix, and The FBI.
Franz died Saturday in California of emphysema and pneumonia.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- TVLine Items: JAG Vet to Scorpion, Amy Adams' SNL Promos and More
- Covert Affairs Finale Sneak Peek: Can Calder Keep Auggie Safe?
- The Goldbergs Enlists Charlie Sheen to Reprise His Ferris Bueller Role
- Matt's Inside Line: Scoop on Arrow, Once, NCIS, The 100, Vampire Diaries, Gotham, Bones, H50, Castle and More
- Glee Season 6: Puck, Sam, Santana Get Promo Pics — But What About Tina?
- More From TVLine
- Madonna Compares Album Leak to 'Rape' and 'Terrorism'
- Demi Lovato: The 'Revolutionary' Kim Kardashian Helped Me Accept My Body
- This 'Star Wars' Themed Light Show Sets the Bar for All Future Christmas Light Shows
- Jim Bob Duggar Dismisses Change.org Petition: 'They Won't Succeed'
- Anna Kendrick Makes David Letterman Blush with Furry Sex Toys and Ambien Stories
- More From ET