July 24, 2014
by Danny Gallagher, posted Mar 26th 2010 3:10PM
Game shows used to flood the dial of my TV back in the 1980s and '90s. And that was when my TV could only pick up eight channels, three depending on the weather.
Back then, almost everything from daytime fare to the occasional prime time bit of airtime starred game show hosts. Their purpose on television was solely to wear smart suits, make sure their teeth reached the optimum level of whiteness and keep the game moving but entertaining.
Now that game shows are making a slow but steady return to television, it seems the traditional role of "host" has turned away from the traditional "game" emcee like Chuck Woolery, Wink Martindale, Bob Barker and Art Fleming and more towards lively hosting personalities from other walks of entertainment life like Drew Carey, Wayne Brady, Howie Mandel and Guy Fieri. Does this mean that the role of the traditional TV game show has gone to that great big "Curtain No. 2" in the sky?
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- Meet the Top 48 Acts of 'America's Got Talent' Season 9
- Comic-Con 2014 Photos: The Cast of 'Under the Dome' in Pedicabs and Rachelle Lefevre Goes Blonde
- The 16 Most Blood-Tingling Hookups from 'True Blood'
- 'Reign' Comic-Con 2014 Spoilers: Plague Deaths, Threats and the Baby
- 'Under the Dome' Comic-Con 2014 Spoilers: More Death, a Killer Revealed and Escaping the Dome
- More From BuddyTV
- Community @ Comic-Con: When Will the Greendale Gang Debut Online?
- NBC to Air Crossbones' Final Two Episodes On a Saturday Night
- Scandal's 'Randy' Season 4 Premiere Title: What Could It Possibly Mean?
- Legend of Korra Is Moving Online, But 'There Is Definitely a Book 4'
- More From TVLine
- Kristen Bell Plays Mary Poppins, Gets Political in Funny or Die Parody
- Zoe Saldana Curses Out Media Following Reports of Twins
- 7 Celebs You Didn't Know Were in Music Videos Before They Were Famous
- Watch 'Big Brother' Star Frankie Grande Get the News His Grandpa Died
- Daniel Radcliffe on Losing His Virginity: I Had a Really Good First Time
- More From ET