But there were several stars who attempted to duplicate the big O's success over the years, all starting with the naming standard no future host would dare to change: 'The [Insert Name of Host] Show.'
Though many managed to last more than a decade each (persistence paid off for Montel Williams, Ricki Lake, Geraldo Rivera and Jenny Jones), no other talk show host has made it to the quarter century mark.
To show you just how big a feat Oprah has accomplished, here's a list of 13 daytime talk shows that came and went during Oprah's tenure, a feature which could also be called Talk Shows that Oprah Killed.
Well, Montel Williams has endorsed the The Living Well Toasty Wrap Blanket. It's apparently part of his entire line of Living Well stuff. But is this really legit? How many ways can you make a blanket with sleeves?
It seemed just yesterday that the talk show host with the Yul Brenner scalp was chumming it up on the daytime talk show circuit, interviewing women who love too much or husbands who love way too much with people other than their wives. It was like watching the rock-bottom moment of a man's life in the wake of his waning glory days without it airing on VH1.
Now a local action news station has blown the lid off these coins that Montel has reduced himself to hawking: they are a bigger gyp than Baywatch Nights.
Then I saw him on an ad promoting one of those awful coins that commemorate Barack Obama's inauguration. You know which ones I'm talking about: they take a real (or semi-real) coin, dip it in gold, paint Obama's image on it, and claim that they're "rare" keepsakes that "comemorate" his historic inauguration, and will increase in value. So you basically pay some joint ten bucks plus shipping and handling to get a dollar or half-dollar coin that's worth... a dollar or half-dollar.
If you've been watching Guiding Light lately, you know Remy's world has been turned upside down of late. Remy's best friend and the girl he loves, Ava, has just given birth and in a stunning surprise, the child is mulatto. The surprise is based on the fact that Ava is married to ambitious businessman/politician, Bill Lewis. He accepted that Ava wasn't pregnant with his baby, but he believed Ava's explanation and reasoning for getting a Bill-look-alike donor from a sperm bank. Yeah, it's complicated...
It became a bit of an inside joke that year. But even fifteen years ago, it seemed that Montel Williams' talk show was always on. But as of the end of this season, Montel is departing the syndicated airwaves, after 17 years.
You've seen those commercials that feature talk show host Montel Williams riding around in a big bus and helping low income families get a break on their prescriptions? Think of this story the next time you see one.
Williams was in Savannah, GA as part of the program when he confronted a high school intern. Courtney Scott had asked Williams a question earlier in the day and then returned for another story, but Williams thought that she (and two other reporters) were there to harass him, and he got in Scott's face and said: "Don't look at me like that. Do you know who I am? I'm a big star, and I can look you up, find where you live, and blow you up." Yikes. Williams has apologized to the intern and even invited her to his show for an apology.
You would think that frequent Montel guest Sylvia Browne could have alerted him that this was going to happen. Because she's psychic and everything.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'So You Think You Can Dance' Predictions: Which Two Dancers Will Leave the Top 16?
- 'True Detective' Recap: Everyone's on the Run for Their Lives as a Detective Bites the Dust
- 'Bachelor in Paradise' Season 2 Premiere Recap: Jared and Jade Become Hot Commodities
- 'Big Brother 17' Recap: King James Makes a Big Move
- 'Falling Skies' Interviews: The Finale Is 'Pretty Wild' and 'It's Not an Unhappy Ending'
- More From BuddyTV
- Castle Season 8: [Spoiler] Will Return in a 'Surprising' Way
- True Detective Recap: Up in Flames
- Food Network Star Recap: No Country for Bold Ramen
- UnREAL Finale Preview: Rachel's Choice, Quinn's War, Broken-Hearted Jeremy and Season 2 Scenarios
- Stephen Colbert's Late Show Promos Wield Magic, Mitt and a 'Dreamboat'
- More From TVLine
- Bella Hadid, 18, and Yolanda Foster, 51, Sport Matching Plunging Red Swimsuits
- Hollywood's Hottest Bikini Bods
- Chelsea Handler Calls Out Ex-Boyfriend Who Said She Was Fat, Posts Skimpy Bikini Pic
- Hollywood's Sexiest Shirtless Men March 2014
- Kim Kardashian Looks Identical to Kylie and Kendall Jenner in Shocking Split Pics
- More From ET