movies based on tv shows
According Entertainment Weekly, Fox has passed on a script by 'State of Play' writer Billy Ray. However, that doesn't mean the movie won't get made. '24' executive producer Howard Gordon told EW the project is still very much in the works.
"As far as I know, it is in suspended animation," Gordon said. "There is talk about re-approaching it. I understand (director/producer) Tony Scott is meeting with Kiefer to talk about ideas. People are still talking about it."
According to executive producer Mark Wahlberg, if the HBO comedy movies to the big screen, it would follow movie star Vincent Chase and his friends as they get older ... and perhaps even wiser.
Wahlberg, while promoting his new movie 'The Fighter,' told Entertainment Weekly, "There are places to go. I'm still here all these years later, aren't I? My story didn't end in my 20s."
The show still has one season left to air, so a big-screen version wouldn't happen until after the summer 2011 season. And while the possibility of a movie exists, "we won't make it if we don't have a good script," Wahlberg said.
The 'Mars' mastermind doesn't want fans to continue on the roller coaster that has been the 'Veronica Mars' movie saga, but he is exploring alternate routes -- like indie financing -- to reunite with Kristen Bell and the residents of Neptune on the big screen.
While promoting the second season of 'Party Down' (that part of the interview coming soon), Thomas divulged some new details about his ongoing quest to give 'Mars' fans a taste of the snarky private eye on the big screen.
But more often than not, movies based on TV shows are really not good -- just check out Moviefone's worst TV shows turned movies list, which includes the atrocities that were 'Josie and the Pussycats,' 'Speed Racer' and 'Bewitched.'
So, here are five TV shows we should hope to never see in a theater near us.
We've talked a lot here at TV Squad about movies made from TV shows. A while back, Anna listed her picks for the 10 best movies based on TV shows, and then Paul listed his picks for the 10 worst. (I also chimed in with my picks for 5 TV shows that are better than the original movie). Now Rotten Tomatoes picks the 50 best movies made from TV shows, and the results are...odd.
Now, some of the choices are predictable if not accurate, including Star Trek II, Wayne's World, South Park, Mission: Impossible, The Untouchables, and The Brady Bunch Movie. And fans of Firefly will be happy to see Serenity on the list (and in the top 10!).
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- CBS releases full trailer videos for 'The Crazy Ones,''Mom' and more fall shows
- Tamra Barney gets 'Real Housewives of Orange County' wedding spinoff at Bravo
- Kelly Clarkson will not judge 'American Idol' next season
- 'Sons of Anarchy' adds CCH Pounder to Season 6 cast
- A&E cancels 'Intervention' after 13 seasons
- More From Zap2it
- TV Season Champs: NCIS Outdraws Sunday Night Football, Top-Rated New Comedies All Got Axed
- DirecTV Comes Full Circle With David Boreanaz, Kate Walsh, Julian McMahon and More
- Exclusive Body of Proof Series Finale Video: Megan Gets to the Bottom of Her Daddy Issues (With a Little Help From a Veronica Mars Grad)!
- Matt's Inside Line: Scoop on NCIS, Castle, Psych, NCIS: LA, Covert Affairs, Suits, Beast and More!
- TVLine Items: Intervention Cancelled, Idol Alum Gets Campy, FX Sets Date for Bridge and More!
- More From TVLine