This move will allow the affiliates to run ShamWow infomercials, which are almost guaranteed to get more viewers than Easy Money and Valentine had. Or they now have a great competitive slot to put Legend of the Seeker. Maybe we'll even get some more quality syndicated dramas that local affiliates can give a prime-time berth to. How about a cage fight between ShamWow pitchman Vince Schlomi and the godfather of product pimping Billy Mays? In my area it will mean my affiliate can play baseball games on Sundays rather than during the week, bumping my CW programming to Saturdays. I can't wait that long for my Reaper fix!
The idea looked great on paper: rent out Sunday night to an independent content provider and let them reap the advertising rewards. World Wrestling Entertainment uses a similar model when it broadcasts its wrestling product on any given network. Sadly, the concept could not keep up with the sagging ratings of the CW.
The contract was terminated when MRC couldn't keep up with payments to the parent network. I doubt they were making that much in terms of advertising dollars either, given that their ratings were among the lowest ever for the network. That's saying a lot.
In any case, it's another example of The CW being one step closer to that "going out of business" sale. Perhaps they should simply go back to being the WB.
Brad told you a couple of weeks ago about the new shows on The CW this fall. The network put aside Sunday nights in order to have Media Rights Capital program the night as it pleased, as an experiment. Now, the lineup that MRC has come up with has been released. The network has put all four shows into production immediately (no pilots) so they'll be ready for fall. The shows will run from 7pm to 10pm. Note: sorry Moonlight fans, your show didn't make it.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'The Voice' Season 9: Meet Pharrell Williams' Team
- 'The Vampire Diaries' Episodes 7.2 and 7.3 Photos: Damon and Bonnie Fight the Heretics
- 'The Voice' Season 9: Meet Gwen Stefani's Team
- 'Dancing with the Stars' Season 21: Week 4 Performance Rankings
- 'The Voice' Season 9: Meet Adam Levine's Team
- More From BuddyTV
- Castle Reveal: The Feisty 'New Woman' in Rick's Life Is... Aubrey Plaza?
- Vampire Diaries Season 7 Photos: 'Bamon' Teams Up, Caroline Suffers
- TVLine Items: Tricia Helfer on Powers, Reign Casting Shake-Up and More
- Strain EPs Clear the Air on Nora's Fate, Tease a 'Different, Faster' Season 3
- ABC Family Changing Name to Freeform — Do You Love It or Hate It?
- More From TVLine
- What Holly Madison Wants to Teach Her Daughter About Playboy
- Watch Ariana Grande Kiss Her 'Victorious' Costar Liz Gillies
- If Your Name Is Lauren and You Lost Your Student ID, Tom Hanks Has It
- Cindy Crawford Goes Makeup-Free, Shows Off Flawless Bikini Bod at 49
- Cathriona White's Husband Revealed as Jim Carrey's Late Girlfriend's Body Is Released
- More From ET