This move will allow the affiliates to run ShamWow infomercials, which are almost guaranteed to get more viewers than Easy Money and Valentine had. Or they now have a great competitive slot to put Legend of the Seeker. Maybe we'll even get some more quality syndicated dramas that local affiliates can give a prime-time berth to. How about a cage fight between ShamWow pitchman Vince Schlomi and the godfather of product pimping Billy Mays? In my area it will mean my affiliate can play baseball games on Sundays rather than during the week, bumping my CW programming to Saturdays. I can't wait that long for my Reaper fix!
The idea looked great on paper: rent out Sunday night to an independent content provider and let them reap the advertising rewards. World Wrestling Entertainment uses a similar model when it broadcasts its wrestling product on any given network. Sadly, the concept could not keep up with the sagging ratings of the CW.
The contract was terminated when MRC couldn't keep up with payments to the parent network. I doubt they were making that much in terms of advertising dollars either, given that their ratings were among the lowest ever for the network. That's saying a lot.
In any case, it's another example of The CW being one step closer to that "going out of business" sale. Perhaps they should simply go back to being the WB.
Brad told you a couple of weeks ago about the new shows on The CW this fall. The network put aside Sunday nights in order to have Media Rights Capital program the night as it pleased, as an experiment. Now, the lineup that MRC has come up with has been released. The network has put all four shows into production immediately (no pilots) so they'll be ready for fall. The shows will run from 7pm to 10pm. Note: sorry Moonlight fans, your show didn't make it.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'Dancing with the Stars' Predictions: Who Will Go Home in Week 6?
- 'Castle' Interview with Seamus Dever on the 70's Episode: 'People Weren't Recognizing Me'
- Best 'Game of Thrones' Quotes from 'Breaker of Chains'
- 'The Amazing Race: All-Stars' Week 8 Express Pass Power Rankings: With a Little Help from My Friends
- Andi Dorfman Takes a Dig at Juan Pablo in New 'Bachelorette' Poster
- More From BuddyTV
- Exclusive Bones Video: Has the Ghost Killer Returned (or Is Brennan Just Bonkers)?
- Glee First Look: Shirley MacLaine's Lunch Date With Blaine! Plus — Rachel Berry, TV Star?
- What to Watch Monday: The Voice Goes Live, Castle's Disco Daze, Archer Finale and More
- True Blood Season 7: First Teaser Reveals 'Sick Vampires' and Civil War in Bon Temps
- Mad Men Recap: A Thorny Matter Indeed
- More From TVLine